Advice Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed.

Hi. I am a 37 year-old male. I noticed a lump on my right testicle about a week ago and went to see my GP. He sent me for an ultrasound the same day. The results showed that I have a mass in the testicle about 1 cm in size. It also said that TC could not be excluded. My GP then sent me to see a Urologist.

The Urologist was in a great hurry to leave the office when he examined me. He examined the testicle and then very briefly (a couple of seconds) looked at the ultrasound. He then asked me what liquids I drank. He said that the caffeine and acidity in what I drink could be causing the problem. He did not order any blood marker tests or a chest X-Ray. He scheduled an appointment for me to come in on Jan 2 for a second Ultrasound. He said he did not want me to worry too much at this time.

My question is, does this seem unreasonable, or should I be moving faster on this? I have done a lot of research on TC, and have never found anything that stated that caffeine or acidity could be causing these symptoms. If there is a problem, I want to be as aggressive as possible.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, as this is worrying me a lot.

Thanks,

Billy

Welcome, Billy. Yes, it seems unreasonable. In your shoes, I would find another urologist pronto, get a good explanation of what that first ultrasound showed and have blood drawn to test for tumor markers. Assuming there's a 1 cm solid mass, there's a high probability that it's cancer, and that testicle needs to be removed.
    Scott, [email protected]
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Billy:
      It's time to find a new urologist. If you have a solid mass in the testicle it will have to come out, and the sooner the better. I've never heard anything about caffeine and acidity causing lumps in any body organ. It seems that if that was true Starbucks would be out of business.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I have an appointment with another urologist, but I have to wait until January 5th. It will indeed be an exercise in patience.

Billy

Comment

Billy,

That's too long to wait. If it's the worst case and it is a tumour, it has to come out ASAP. TC is very fast in its growth, and it is removed almost immediately after being diagnosed becasue of it ability to go mets very, very quickly.

I don't want to scare you, but it's in your best interest to have this checked immediately. I'd go to the emergency room - that way you'll get rapid diagnosis.

You may not have TC, but if it turns out ou do, you want that testicle out straight away. Anyone with TC who delays diagnosis, just increases their chance of more agressive treatment.

Davie
          Diagnosed March 2006, Stage IIB, 3cm RP mass
          10% Seminoma, 90% Non-Seminoma (Embryonal, and a tiny amount of choriocarcinoma and teratoma)
          Prechemo bHCG-2648, AFP-582
          3xBEP March-June, markers normalised
          3 months postchemo - 1.2cm residual RP mass
          RPLND September 2006 - mostly necrotic tissue plus tiny amount of well differentiated teratoma
          June 2009 - TRT commenced to help out my lefty
          May 2011 - check-up, all clear

Comment

I agree with Davie. I'd start by calling your general practitioner again today and telling him what's going on. There's a time for patience, but this isn't it. This is a time for self-advocacy.
            Scott, [email protected]
            right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

More thanks.

I called the GP and he was out for the day, but he is supposed to call me tomorrow. He knows his stuff, so this should take care of it. If not, I will go to the Emergency Room tomorrow.

Thanks,

Billy

Comment

Billy:
                Good job. It's important to get this taken care of ASAP.
                Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Raidologist first read the Ultrasound?

Billy,
                  Another thing you may want to consider is that the Ultrasound was first read by a radiologist, and he or she prepared a report for the urologist. If you can, try to get a copy of that report, and have your GP explain it to you. I have a feeling it may be why the urologist was quik with you- might be good news.
                  As far as the coffee, I fairly new to this game, but have not heard anything about that. I even asked my oncologist if I sould quit coffee- he said not at all.
                  I think your urologist should have spent more time with you on a first visit- typical surgeon. Fine another one- If you need the RPLND you are going to need an expert anyway.
                  Good Luck.
                  Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
                  Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
                  The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Update

Thanks for the advice. The Urologist briefly looked at the Ultrasound films (only a few seconds) and did not read the report from the Radiologist at all. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get rid of him.

Anyway, I have an appt scheduled for Tuesday the 27th with a Urologist that has a very impressive background. All of the Urologists in the clinic do. The only thing is is that I have to see a Physician's Assistant first. Does that raise any red flags with anyone? I have never seen a PA before. She also possesses a strong background. She has a Master's Degree, and has been practicing in Urology for two years.

Billy

Comment

Just make sure she knows that your original doctor didn't rule out tc. What they need to decide is if the lump is fluid filled or solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy
                        The only thing is is that I have to see a Physician's Assistant first. Does that raise any red flags with anyone?
                        No red flags for me. You will also meet with the urologist during the same visit, right?
                        Scott, [email protected]

Comment

Yes, the PA sees me first and then delivers her findings to the Urologist, who then consults with me.

Comment

Sounds like normal procedure.
                            Scott, [email protected]

Comment

Another Question

Sorry to keep bugging you guys. My question is does anyone have an opinion whether I should be having sex or not while I wait to get this checked out? Could it do any harm?

Thanks,

Billy

Comment

Working...
                              X