Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi everyone. Can I just start off by saying to everyone that gives advice here that you all are so helpful and really make a difference from the threads that I have read.

Now, I'm 16, and found the tinyest of spots on the tip of my right testicle. Since then I have read up on the symptoms of TC and, throughout my life I have been a worrier about health issues so I might have just developed them. I know that a lot of my worries are psychological. So since Tuesday (it's now Sunday) I have felt the spot and it seems to have shrunk, but I have felt pain in both testicles and I can't stop thinking about it.

Here in the UK, it is bank holiday so I have told myself that for health reasons and self-assurance, I have to see a doctor, and I will ring up for an appointment on Tuesday, for the same day.

I'm a bit panicky that I can't really talk to anyone about it. In my house, I only have my Mum and my brother and I don't want to put such a worry on my Mum's shoulders in case it turns out to be nothing. I know that if it is something, which is unlikely I will tell her.

Sorry if there seems to be no point to this, but it helps me to just say this.

If you can give any advice that would be great.

Thanks all.

Ryan:
    The chances of you having cancer are very small but you're doing the right thing getting checked. The link provided will take you to a site that can teach you haw to do a proper self exam. self exam Good luck and keep us posted.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Ryan, how old is your brother? If he is older than you he could be someone to speak to. Don't be afraid to tell your mom though. Even if it is t/c, your cure rate is EXTREMELY HIGH, and I'm sure she would rather know what is going on with you than to be in the dark. Best of luck with your appointment!!!
      Brian
      4/11/06 Markers: AFP-41.0 & HCG-88
      4/13/06 Left I/O
      4/19/06 Diagnosed w/ nonseminoma;80% yolk sac, 15% teratoma, and 5% embryonal carcinoma
      5/10/06 Markers: AFP-4.7 & HCG-1
      5/12/06 RPLND surgery @ HUP
      6/19/06 Started 2 cycles of EP
      7/14/06 Completed 2 cycles of EP

8/19/11 - Received what I call now my "five year-all clear"!!!
      8/20/11 - First Livestrong Challenge in Philly! http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Comment

I don't think my brother is the talkative kind, and I can't face distressing my Mum for something that might not be anything. I am definately ringing up fo the appointment on Tuesday, so now I'll just have to get on with things and try to forget about it.

Do you think its possible to develop symptoms because of a psychological factor?

I'll keep you posted on how things go.

Comment

I can't tell you what to do, but it is good that you are getting an appointment on Tuesday with the doctor! Think about talking to your brother though, he might surprise you. Know though that you do have all of us on the message board to speak to!!! Good luck on Tuesday!!!

Brian
          4/13/06 Left I/O
          4/19/06 Diagnosed w/ nonseminoma;80% yolk sac, 15% teratoma, and 5% embryonal carcinoma

8/20/11 - First Livestrong Challenge in Philly! http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Comment

Thanks... I keep saying to myself that I'm going there to reassure myself that I'm ok, or I'm going there because I'm going to need treatment, and either way there's a massive chance I'm coming back healthy... at the end of the day... I'm checking for the safety of it.

Is it stupid to think that the doctor checking you over is more scary than the possibilities of what the cancer might bring if I do have it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan35
              Is it stupid to think that the doctor checking you over is more scary than the possibilities of what the cancer might bring if I do have it?
              Although it isn't stupid, it's certainly not true. The idea of being checked may be scary, but the reality is no big deal.
              Scott, [email protected]
              right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Can you talk me through what they do?

Comment

Here's a good article that explains what to expect. The doctor will do essentially the same thing you do in a self-examination.
                  Scott, [email protected]
                  right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Ryan,

I went to my family doctor first and he performed the basic self examination that I do to myself. He thought the same that I did about the abnormality in my left testicle so he told me to get an ultrasound done on it. I was lucky to actually be able to get one done that same afternoon. That part tickles if anything, but if I can suggest anything and this is totally up to you, don't look at the screen when they are performing the ultrasound. I didn't because I told myself that I didn't know what I would be looking at and I didn't want to see something that would totally be normal, but look out of the ordinary to me and freak myself out. I got the results the next day which was suspicious of looking cancerous, that's when I saw a urologist and the rest is history.

It’s really not that bad of a process, but you are dealing with the fear of the unknown which can be scary, so you certainly have every right to be a little nervous. You sound very intelligent so go into this with notion that even if the worse case scenario takes place and it is t/c, you WILL be cured and lead a VERY healthy and normal life after treatment!!! That is what keeps me going each day through my treatments. Please keep us up to date with your prognosis.

Brian
                    4/13/06 Left I/O

Comment

Thanks everyone, that really helps.

I'm looking forward to getting into the doctors... in two days hopefully I'll know.

I will keep you all updated on how everything goes. I just had a bath and another check and the spot is still there.

I'm not worried about whether or not its cancer anymore. If it is it is. I will get cured. Think positive.

I might drop in and let you know how I'm going tomorrow. If not, I'll update you with my results Tuesday.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Hey all, I just rang the surgery and it is closed so it'll have to be tomorrow that I get an appointment, hopefully for the same day, which they normally will if requested.

It does feel like the spot is getting smaller, but I'm still getting it checked. I need to know what's going on and I need to feel security.

I've already chosen my doctor. Lol.

Its the waiting game I hate. I just want to get it over with and get on with my life!

I'll drop in tomorrow again.

Comment

Good for you to still get it checked out!!! I will agree with you 100% that the waiting is the most difficult part with all of this. Try to keep yourself busy to help pass the time away and to keep your mind off of it. I know, easier said than done.

Keep us posted and I hope that it all works out for the best!!!

Brian
                          4/13/06 Left I/O

Comment

9.30am tomorrow is the appointment time.

Comment

Doctor says that he thinks its just a cyst... and there's nothing to worry about... so for now I'm in the clear... I just have to go back in case anything seems wrong.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X