No announcement yet.

Going to the doctor...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Going to the doctor...

    Hi, I'm 16 and I'm planning on going to the doctor to get checked as I've found a small lump and have had some slight pain on one of my testicles. I obviously want to get this checked as soon as possible but I was unsure of some things...first of all I'm guessing I'd just go to my regular doctor for this, right? Also, does it need to be mentioned when making the appointment or can I just ask while getting a regular check-up? Lastly, I have very worrisome parents and that, in addition to the discomfort I'd have talking to them about it, prompts me to ask if it's necessary at this point to mention it to them? I realize if any further steps need to be taken like ultrasound they'd have to know but I'd be a lot more comfortable with the doctor telling them rather than getting them all worried now when it could be nothing. Thanks for bearing with all these questions, this is a great site

    edit: Also, what would be a good way to go about mentioning it to the doctor? I'm assuming it's probably not the best idea to just let him find it during a regular check-up.

  • #2
    Hi, msrok. Glad to hear you're planning to get checked out promptly. You can start with your general practitioner or you can get a referral directly to a urologist. I know this may seem a little awkward, but "testicle, shmesticle," it's just another body part to your doctor. You wouldn't hesitate to mention a bump on your arm, right? Just tell him straight up you found a lump and you're worried about it.
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

    Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!


    • #3
      Duimg your regular check up mention it to your doctor (no reason to upset your partents) and ask if he/she can't set up an appointment with a urologist. It's a urologist whi can determine if anything is wrong down ther and all your parents will need to know is that it's part of a complete physical. Now as a parent of a tc patient, plealse tell them that you have a concern so that they can do everything within their power to make sure you get a proper examination.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

      Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.