Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better tumor marker for Yolk Sac

Virchows Arch. 2006 Aug 4; [Epub ahead of print] Links
    Oncofetal protein glypican-3 in testicular germ-cell tumor.Ota S, Hishinuma M, Yamauchi N, Goto A, Morikawa T, Fujimura T, Kitamura T, Kodama T, Aburatani H, Fukayama M.
    Department of Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo, Tokyo, 113-0033, Japan, [email protected].

The expression of an oncofetal protein, the glypican-3 (GPC3), was immunohistochemically evaluated in a wide variety of primary testicular germ-cell tumors (GCTs) in comparison with other markers, alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)-beta, and OCT3/4. Eighty-nine cases of GCT including 22 cases of mixed GCT were evaluated with reference to each tumor component. GPC3 expression was observed in neoplastic cells of yolk-sac tumor (YST) (25/25), teratoma (2/10), components of syncytiotrophoblastic giant cells (STGCs) (10/14), and choriocarcinoma (1/3), but none in intratubular germ-cell neoplasias, unclassified type (0/33), seminomas (0/61), or embryonal carcinoma (0/19). All cases of YST showed diffuse labeling of neoplastic cells in cytoplasmic and membranous patterns, and the positive area of GPC3 was much larger than that of AFP. Glandular structures in teratomas showed GPC3 immunostaining as well as AFP. Although the number of GPC3-positive cells was smaller in STGC components and choriocarcinoma, there was no diffusion artifact in GPC3 immunostaining, as was frequently encountered in hCG-beta staining. Thus, GPC3 is a unique oncofetal protein, which is useful as an immunohistochemical marker for GCT differentiated to extraembryonic tissue, especially YST.

PMID: 16896894 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

This is confusing ... I was told by my doctors along with IU and Sloan that Yolk Sac Tumors produce Extremly high AFP levels(as did mine) in most cases
    Moffitt Cancer Institute
    CANCER SUCKS
    Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

"and the positive area of GPC3 was much larger than that of AFP" Its a more specific marker than AFP

Comment

Most people ,even if they have or had cancer, would not be able to desipher these articles. This kind of info is more for doctors and interns.They can take this kind of info and translate it into laymans terms. A little to technical for me.. I leave this kind of stuff to the pros.. thats what they get paid for.. in most cases Overpaid !!!!!
        Moffitt Cancer Institute
        CANCER SUCKS
        Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

Working...
        X