Tony Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Snow

Tony Snow, the White House press secretary, was just informed that his colon cancer has spread to his liver. With the two high profile cases in one week it will be hard for the Government to ignore the need for more funding and research.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

As much as I dislike the current administration, no one, not even Tony Snow, deserves this. Maybe it will be circumstances like this that will serve as an eye-opener to an administration that cut funding for the National Cancer Institute for the first time in many years.
    "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
    11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
    12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert2112
      Believe it or not, I pray for his moronic boss
      While discussing government policies related to cancer is encouraged, we're treading into political waters that are best avoided here.
      Scott, [email protected]
      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

I was only flagging the one line I quoted, Robert, not your whole post.
        Scott, [email protected]
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

I'm all for open discussions on policy but things always seem to deteriorate when they involve the politician.
          Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

It's not deteriorating because it "...involves politicians." but because some refuse to accept that cancer and cancer treatment has a very political component to it.

For example, why is it acceptable/patriotic that the President requests a substantial increase in his budget for the war in Iraq, while at the same time slashing the budget for the declared "War on Cancer"? Is destroying non-American life forms valued higher than preserving American lifes?

Suffice it to say that the LAF apparently perceives CANCER very much as a political issue and hence their lobbying efforts on the Hill.

/M

Originally posted by dadmo
            I'm all for open discussions on policy but things always seem to deteriorate when they involve the politician.

Comment

The policy debate is encouraged. (Name calling is not, though, and Robert apologized.)
              Scott, [email protected]

Comment

It would be easy to mistake this thread for a debate. However, I don't see any real disagreement. We need to make providing resources to prevent, cure, and maintain quality of life during and after cancer a much higher priority.
                Scott, [email protected]

Comment

Maybe the best we can hope for is a sitting President getting cancer?

NOW, wait! More than a few President's have been shot at and killed (i.e. Lincoln, Kennedy, Reagan (not to mention Brady): the NRA is still going strong.

So, in conclusion: there is no hope.

Originally posted by Scott
                  It would be easy to mistake this thread for a debate. However, I don't see any real disagreement. We need to make providing resources to prevent, cure, and maintain quality of life during and after cancer a much higher priority.

Comment

I don't care one way or the other about what happens to any particular politician. My concern is that a forum members or visitor might think that this is a good place for a policical rant.

Comment

Originally posted by dadmo
                      I don't care one way or the other about what happens to any particular politician. My concern is that a forum members or visitor might think that this is a good place for a policical rant.
                      I definitely have to concur with dadmo here. Everyone is entitled to their political beliefs and stances, be it Republican, Democratic, or whatever. Nonetheless, this is not the appropriate Forum to vent out on the doings or undoings of particular people in office. We cannot lose perspective of what this Forum aims to provide: a venue where guys dealing with testicular cancer and their co-survivor counterparts can find guidance on treatment options and support on survivorship issues surrounding TC. We cannot let the main goal be mired in political rhetoric (we'll leave that to the pundits).
                      This is not to say that there should be no political discourse; after all, advocacy issues are inherently linked to governmental policies which are, by nature, political. Unfortunately, we all need to navigate an extremely fine line when bringing issues of this sort to the table. Case in point, the purpose of this very thread was to highlight that Tony Snow, a prominent figure in the White House, is bearing the misfortune of dealing with a colon cancer recurrence that, to put it crudely, is likely to end his life in 2-5 years. At this point, I feel we have strayed off course. We cannot lose perspective: we are talking about a real person with a family and friends, and we cannot let this be bogged down. We may disagree with the policies of the current administration towards cancer and sound scientific research, but we have to keep in mind that in this instance we are talking about real people. We can, however, use this constructively by bringing into play the power of the people, which is where advocacy comes into play.
                      I'd like to believe we are doing a service to the TC community (no matter how small or rare it is) by helping dudes and their caregivers go through what, in our case, may luckily be only a rough patch in our lives. If we can pull some people to help out to contribute to a higher purpose (advocacy), then even better. We just need to be cautious in deviating from the mission I imagine has been set from the onset.
                      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Originally posted by matthias
                        So, in conclusion: there is no hope.
                        "Hope is a state of mind, not of the world. Hope, in this deep and powerful sense, is not the same as joy that things are going well, or willingness to invest in enterprises that are obviously heading for success, but rather an ability to work for something because it is good." ~ Vaclav Havel
                        Scott, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Fed
                          We cannot lose perspective of what this Forum aims to provide: a venue where guys dealing with testicular cancer and their co-survivor counterparts can find guidance on treatment options and support on survivorship issues surrounding TC.
                          Right on, Fed.
                          Scott, [email protected]

Comment

Having just read through this thread for the first time, a few thoughts come to mind. Why is it some believe that you can't talk about it?

Who is to say that merely increasing funding to the National Cancer Institute is the only answer and cure-all for some of the problems and questions being raised? The problems with insurance and medical costs have been building for decades through both Democrat and Republican adminsitrations and through mostly Democratic congresses until the mid 1990's.

The Republican congresses of 1995-2006 may not have helped the situation much, but one must remember that the Democrats controlled Congress for all but a few years in the period from 1933 -1995.

Insurance and medical costs have been rising almost uncontrolled for at least the past 30 years. I wonder what a government in a capitalistic society can do to bring the costs under control.

If $1500 of the price of every new car is due to health care expenses for those who build the cars, something is out of whack.

Many medical institutions will tell you part of the reason their costs are so high is because of government red tape that is already in place with Medicare and Medicaid. I can remember as far back as 15 years ago some friends of mine who worked in a medical facility telling me they have to spend more time filling out government required forms than they do treating patients.

How will more funding alone help the sytem when the biggest reforms need to come in how the system is organized in the first place?

Unfortunately, some places are like the one mentioned earlier in this thread-- making you write a check before they treat you. I started to go to a chiropractor for back troubles one time and after the first visit the lady up front was telling me my insurance had a $40 co-pay with each visit. That was her main concern. I never went back because at three treatments a week for the first few weeks, it was way beyond affordibility. I don't waste my time with places where money seems the driving concern. Most places will work with you, and if you even pay $10 a month, they will accept that.

I know my thoughts on this have been all over the place. I guess what I am saying here is that health care issues are much deeper than any one politician or political party can deal with on their own. It will take major reform of the system that has developed over the years. Accusing one party of not caring or being only for corporations is just as bad as accusing the other party of only caring about lining the pockets of union and lobbying officials. Both statements are unfair. Partisan rangling does nothing to help move any kind of reform forward.

Just some thoughts.

Bob from the Chicago area of Indiana

Comment

"We Have to Be Ruthless"

This Newsweek article tells the story about what needs to be done now.
                              Scott, [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X