Update on my first week of chemo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my first week of chemo

I just wanted to pop in and let people know that chemo is going well so far. This is my fourth day and I'm definitely starting to feel a dullness in my belly, almost like I need to just hunch my stance. It may be in part due to constipation or something. I slept poorly last night but that hasn't been the norm. Other than that, the nausea has been held at bay using Zofran, Compazine, and Ativan. I still don't have a handle on which one to take at night or in the AM, but the nurses have been giving me advice. I'm also getting a bit o chemo fog...it's awkward to speak a complete thought without stammering or pausing.

I want to make a special note of what a great person Fed is. He has been up here to visit me every day this week and also brought me a LiveStrong binder on Tuesday. I've learned more about cellular research than I ever expected to! I've learned by comparison, as a graphic designer, finding the right font isn't something to stress over. He's been a great visitor and I just wanted to publicly call him out on being a kind soul and for making sure I'm doing alright.

The only thing I am having trouble with is experiencing other patient's situations. I almost feel guilty for having a good chance of being cured when I talk to people with serious cancers who have a much harder battle ahead. It's hard to know what to say.

Well, that's it for now. Thanks to everyone who offers up support and encouragement to people like me.

-Sfumato

Fed is one of a kind

I am glad you have gotten started on your treatments, and I am sorry you have to deal with the side effects. Make sure you are eating something small every 2 hours. Also, ask the doc for something to help you sleep. Some of the drugs can keep you up at night and rest is so important.

We are pulling for you!!
    Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
    Current DVT
    Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

And I believe a HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY is in order for today!!!!!
      Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

I'm happy to hear that you are being treated and doing well. Good luck and stay strong.

I love to see people like Fed that go out of the their way to help others. Thank You Fed of being the person you are.
        If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan
        If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. ~ Bruce Lee
        Please sponsor me for the 2011 LiveSTRONG Challenge Philadelphia.
        My Blog

Diagonosed 1988. Left I/O - 3 rounds of chemo
        Relasped 1989. RPLND - 3 rounds HDC - Bone Marrow transplant.
        There is Army Strong, There is Live Strong and then there is me. Crazy Strong

Comment

A couple of hours ago, Dadmo, Mommo, and I went up to the infusion floor and had a bit of a surprise birthday party for Sfumato. Dadmo and Mommo brought a balloon and festive plates, and we had chocolate-raspberry cake with all the patients there. The nurses brought him a bottle of sparkling grape juice (we were hoping for bubbly of another kind, but that will have to wait until the "off" week ).

Sfumato, I hope that despite needing to have platinum with your birthday cake, you keep in mind that you have long life ahead of you and that you have many friends here cheering you on. Before you know it, you'll be done with this and then you'll be able to show me in person good places to ride in southern MA .

Have a great 40th. birthday. I'll be stopping by tomorrow morning.
          "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
          11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
          12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

I couldn't think of a better thing to do today then share a special birthday with a new friend. Have a great rest of the day.
            Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Hang in, it is a curious ride for sure. Your words are very familiar! And about Fed. I believe that when the switch turns to off, the room still stays light at night!! True for many here! Take care, Sharon
              Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Fed
                A couple of hours ago, Dadmo, Mommo, and I went up to the infusion floor and had a bit of a surprise birthday party for Sfumato.
                You guys are fricken fantastic!!! That's what I mean about this forum confirming my faith in humanity.

A big Happy Birthday Sfumato

I hope the rest of your treatment goes well!
                Fish
                TC1
                Right I/O 4/22/1988
                RPLND 6/20/1988
                TC2
                Left I/O 9/17/2003
                Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Fish - took the words right out of my mouth. You can only imagine the surprise of finding visitors with smiles, hugs, a cake and a balloon. But with the minor detail that I'd never met them before! You people are truly a new breed. I appreciate all the warm thoughts and posts. Dadmo and Mommo were so kind to take time out to wish me well. Not to mention the Fed...

It's a freaky world and I'm enjoying it!
                  -Sfumato

Comment

Happy 40th birthday, Sfumato! Wish I could have made the party! I'm glad you were able to celebrate with good friends.
                    Scott, [email protected]
                    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

How are things going, Sfumato?
                      Scott, [email protected]
                      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                        How are things going, Sfumato?

Hey there. Sorry I have been out of the loop for a while. I can honestly say things are going really fine. I'm on my second cycle of BEP this week, and my tumor markers are down by half. They were always low to begin with but it's a good sign. Side effects on the whole have been minimal. The most significant change has been the hair loss which started last Tuesday, but has since stopped after I buzzed down my hair short.

I had a little nausea and smell aversions (not "the smell of virgins" as a family member thought I said) at times but over the past few weeks, my appetite has been stable and I'm actually gaining some weight.

There were a couple of days of sporadic ear tinniness and lower back pains, but those passed. Then finally the grogginess. I'm feeling like I want to close my eyes alot but my brain doesn't quite want to commit to sleep. Taking an Ativan before bed is helping with that but there are still frequent disruptions due to pee breaks during the night.

Other than this, I'm surprised (maybe a little guilty) that I'm feeing so fine through this. The people at Dana Farber are wonderful. The patients I have been conversing with are inspiring. Fed has been a rock solid regular visitor...every day! Finally, I've been working my normal job routine fairly regularly during my recovery weeks.

I know this isn't everyone's experience. But I can say that this was much less turmoil and drama than I had prepared my mind for, and I hope that others can find that same sense of "relief".

I'm looking forward to the slide into home plate at the end of the month!

Be well and best regards,
                        Sfumato

Comment

Sfumato
                          I'm happy to hear things are going well for you. Good Luck

I need your help with this one. "the smell of virgins". Can you ask your family what that means. LOL
                          If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan
                          If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. ~ Bruce Lee
                          Please sponsor me for the 2011 LiveSTRONG Challenge Philadelphia.
                          My Blog

Diagonosed 1988. Left I/O - 3 rounds of chemo
                          Relasped 1989. RPLND - 3 rounds HDC - Bone Marrow transplant.
                          There is Army Strong, There is Live Strong and then there is me. Crazy Strong

Comment

Excellent!!!!! Glad to hear you're doing well. Glad to here you're still OK with virgins as well
                            I Love My Pack!

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, when you lose your smell of virgins it's a difficult thing to adjust to Your relatives sound like mine.... maybe we're related.

No guilt about being a cancer patient having an OK time with chemo allowed! It hopefully eases the images of hugging the toilet we tend to associate with chemo.

Glad the tumor markers are going down. Maybe Fed will bring you another cake for your last treatment!
                              Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Working...
                              X