No announcement yet.

New TC Member

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mindtilt
    Hi John,
    Tumor size < 4cm, no Rete Testis invasion and no VI invasion and age > 30, the normal procedure is to be on Survelliance. Recurrence is very low .
    I've start today a 2x carboplatin treatment, if you choose this option please feel free to ask me any questrion.

    Best of luck

    Leave a comment:

  • amorgan74

    Welcome John, You have found a great place to get information and sound off when you need some advice or have questions. April

    Leave a comment:

  • JimmyDean
    Hey All

    It's been a is great after TC.

    please email me if anyone has questions?

    [email protected]


    Leave a comment:

  • Fish
    Hi John:

    I was 42 when I was diagnosed with stage I seminoma. The tumor was small, 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.8 cm, there was no lympahtic or vascular invasion and tumor markers were normal. Being a physiologist, I could not accept the thought of adjuvant radiation or chemo, when the chances were very good that I had been cured by the orchiectomy. In other words, why expose your body to radiation or chemical unless you are absolutely sure you need them. So I chose surveillence. Two years later everything is still clear.

    Tumor size and lymphatic/vascular invasion are important factors to consider. But if you had a small tumor and no lvi, surveillence is an acceptable option.

    I figured if something showed up down the road, I could get radiation (or chemo) then and still have an excellent chance for a complete cure.

    This, however, is not and easy decision. I still get stressed every time I go for CT scans and blood work. It you opt for surveillence you ABSOLUTELY have to stick to your schedule.

    Best of luck and remember whatever you choose, your chance of a cure is excellent.


    Leave a comment:

  • matthias
    Welcome John, good to have you with us.

    The major factor influencing the initial treatment decision is staging, that is, absence or presence of metastases. Tumor pathology can also play a role. Thirdly, it's a also a matter of personal preference and the level of uncertainty one is able and willing to deal with when considering surveillance.

    Keep us posted.
    Last edited by matthias; 11-25-05, 07:05 PM.

    Leave a comment:

  • Scott
    Welcome, John. I'm sure you've been reading posts from others with a similar decision ahead.

    What was the tumor size? Was there vascular invasion? Did you have elevated hCG? All these things may affect your decision whether to consider surveillance or proceed with adjuvant therapy.

    Leave a comment:

  • john2005
    started a topic New TC Member

    New TC Member

    Hello all

    Thanks to Matthias for sending the email alerting me to this site. Great place!

    Here's my story: felt the hard lump on self exam in late Oct 05, was pretty sure it was TC. Confirmed by urologist. Nov 11 Left I/O & biopsy on right due to calcifications on ultrasound. Left was Seminoma stage 1; right probable carcinoma present. Tumor markers clear, CT clear. I know, damn lucky to catch it early.

    Scheduled to meet with oncologist to discuss choice of : RT, surveillance or possibly 2 treatment Carboplatin. Also getting opinion from Dr. Einhorn at Indiana U.

    My background: 46, married, 2 kids (17 & 13).

    Any thoughts on which way to treat? To you others that have been in a similar boat: what were the main reasons you made you the decision you did?

    Thanks all. It sure helps to know you're there (but sorry you've had to go thru it)