Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An e-mail from Joseph

A California resident named Joseph wrote to the TC-Cancer.com site today:

"My son just passed away at age 34 from undiagnosed testicular cancer. The autospy showed why he died. Prior to his death, he had autism with poor communication skills. He had yearly check-ups but no testicular exams. He died of a pulmonary embolism after the cancer had spread to his lungs and heart. My concern is that mentally disabled young males should be tested for testicular cancer during their annual check-ups, as was not done for my son. Lance Armstrong should advertise the importance of these check-ups for all young males as females do breast exams."
    Scott, [email protected]
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

unbelievable how the death of others will always shed light on the living!!! i'll sure keep it in mind!
    diagnosed 01/15/2005 bi-lateral seminoma stage IIa,4cm lymph node, right I/O & partial left I/O mar/2005, 18 days of radiation, remaining left I/O- aug/2005, surveillance, Wife did IVF oct/2005, DAD OF BABY GIRL born 08-02-2006!!! testosterone implants May 2008

Comment

A whole community who goes medically underserved. Is it ever possible to think of everyone? Is it ever possible to help everyone?
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

This reminded me of the old "starfish" story. It's interesting that there are so many variations, with the wisdom being imparted from one man to another, from an old man to a young man, from a grandson to his grandfather, from a little girl to an adult passing by...

A young man was walking down a deserted beach just before dawn. In the distance he saw a frail old man. As he approached the old man, he saw him picking up stranded starfish and throwing them back into the sea. The young man gazed in wonder as the old man again and again threw the small starfish from the sand into the water.

He asked him, "Why do you spend so much energy doing what seems to be a waste of time?"

The old man explained that the stranded starfish would die if left in the morning sun. "But there must be thousands of beaches and millions of starfish!" exclaimed the young man. "How can your effort make any difference?"

The old man looked down at the small starfish in his hand and as he threw it safely into the sea, he said:

"It makes a difference to that one."
        Scott, [email protected]
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

thanks for sharing that scott!!!
          diagnosed 01/15/2005 bi-lateral seminoma stage IIa,4cm lymph node, right I/O & partial left I/O mar/2005, 18 days of radiation, remaining left I/O- aug/2005, surveillance, Wife did IVF oct/2005, DAD OF BABY GIRL born 08-02-2006!!! testosterone implants May 2008

Comment

It surprises me that he had yearly check ups, but no testicular exams!?

I like that story Scott!
            Diagnosed 10/03/03
            I/O 10/15/03
            RPLND 1/21/04
            Completed the Boston Marathon 4/19/05
            Completed the Boston Marathon 4/17/06
            Baby Riley born on 3/29/09

2012 Livestrong Challenge Web page

Comment

Scott:
              I will keep that story close to my heart. Hopefully this year I can make a meaningful differance in the life of someone I have yet to meet.
              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

It goes without saying Joseph that our deepest sympathy is with you and your family. Your son's tragedy will save the lives of others in the future. If we could only turn back the hands of time with the knowledge that we all have today !!!!!!!!!!!!
                Moffitt Cancer Institute
                CANCER SUCKS
                Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

Working...
                X