how much time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much time?

Hello, I am new here. My husband finally went to the doctor on 9/20/07. They sent him to ultrasound right away, then to a urologist the next day. he is scheduled for surgery on 9/25. DH noticed his left testicle was larger about a year and a half ago, but would not talk to the doc about it, and I finally convinced him. Everything I read said that the outlook is really good if it is caught early! well what is early? are we to late? is there a good chance that it has spread because he waited so long? or do we just have to wait and see? We are both vary scared and it is hard for him to talk about it. and Tuesday seems to be so far away. Is there anyone else out here that waited a long time to have this checked out? if so how did you/he do?

hopefullrose:
    Even very advanced cases of this disease can be treated successfully. There is no way to tell anything about spread until all of the tests are run and the first big thing to do is get that testicle out and see if it's even cancer. We do get 1-2 people a year checking in who had benign tumors.
    Don't beat either youself or your husband up over the delay, you can only go foward from here and as you get results post them and we can help you manuver throught whatever comes up.
    Fell free to ask all the questions you want and don't be shy about asking the samething more then once. We will keep answering until your satisfied that you understand what were telling you. Fell free to vent if you need, my son had this 3 years ago and I still vent.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Hopefullrose,

Welcome. As Bill said, don't look back and have no regrets...just move forward from here. Tuesday may seem far away and sitting and waiting ishard, so use the time to get up to speed on TC. In addition to the home page on this site, visit http://tcrc.acor.org and read, read, read.

If your hubby is late 30s or older ,chances are that he would have seminoma, a slower growing and more responsive type. I advise that you get and keep copies of the ultrasound report and any other reports from blood work and scans. The next test you need to get done before the surgery is blood work for tumor markers. These values, or lack thereof, can give a big hint on the cell type. The change in value pre-I/O and post I/O can give an indication if there has been spread. A CT scan of abdomen and pelvis, as well as a chest X-ray will also be used for staging. Some have it before surgery and some after.

TC, even in late stages, is highl treatable and cureable. Try to focus on learning right now, and ask us any questions you may have. Don't worry too much about "what's next" until you know what you are dealing with.

The I/O is a relatively simple procedure, done as an out-patient. Read up on that first and search this site for tips. We have a wealth of experience on this site, and we will help you and your husnabd through this just fine.
      Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Thank You for your replies. It is good to know that I can ask questions here, my head is still spinning. my husband is 35. I will continue to post as we find out any info. thanks for the support and help.

Comment

I can remember feeling like I had gone insane with stress, confution and overload!! There is very much to be hopefull about!!! One suggestion, make sure to bring a pencil and paper to jot down notes, or be sure to have the doctors print out all of the information for you. It can move fast and the information can be like learning a 2nd language for a while. With the print outs, you will be able to understand what is happening and what will need to be done. This is a very supportive group!!! Sharon
          Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

rose, I still remember getting the call and it still makes me nervous and it has been a year since it happened. I know you must be scared but there is always time to fight and beat this. They thought my husband had his cancer at least a year, maybe two and he has done great! I am praying for you both and if you need to talk, I will be happy to give you my phone number.
            Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
            Current DVT
            Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Hopefullrose,

My son had the disease at stage3 and it had spread to the lungs. He was in the poor risk group, 50% chance. Today he is at college and felling well, a year and a few months from the all clear, there is always hope. We are here for you.

Domenic

Comment

Rose:
                Sharon hit the nail on the head with the second language reference but remember were here to help translate. Ask and vent. That's what were here for.
                Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

It's hard to say how long is too long. It depends on the type of TC and I would think that if he had it that long and if it was an aggressive tumor he would have had more symptoms than an enlarged testicle. In any event, he is seeing a doctor and on his way to a cure. Don't look back. My husband had TC and then 25 years later, my son. Talk about a guilt trip!! BTW, they are doing fine. I am going to be a grandmother for the first time in less than five weeks!! Hang in there, Rose, be patient and supportive, don't show your fear, be positive. Dianne
                  Spouse: I/O 8/80; embryonal, seminoma, teratoma; RPLND 9/80 - no reoccurrence - HRT 8/80; bladder cancer 11/97; reoccurrence: 4X
                  Son: I/O 11/04; embryonal, teratoma; VI; 3XBEP; relapse 5/08; RPLND 6/18/08 - path: mature teratoma

Comment

Rose, I had my I/O (operation) exactly two weeks ago tomorrow and like your hubby, I waited way too long to have this checked out - so I know the feeling. Yes, I could be kicking myself in the rear for having waited and yes I feel really stupid about it, but the idea here is to ONLY look forward - what has passed is passed. In my case, the doctors estimate the tumor had been growing for over 2 years, although I first noticed it a little over a year ago (and did nothing until last month!). Mine was 100% Seminoma (the less agressive kind) and it was confined to the testicle and I'm currently under surveillance. The I/O surgery is not a big deal (I listened to the good people on this board and didn't freak out). Once pathology report is back plus his blood tests (tumor markers) and CT Scan and your Doc will have a better idea as to what you are dealing with.

Best of luck to you and my prayers and thoughts are with you and your husband - he will do fine! Let us know how he does tomorrow.
                    "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". Heb 11:1

Comment

Hey Rose, any word on your hubby's condition??? Hope he is recovering nicely!
                      "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". Heb 11:1

Comment

thank you to everyone. it really helps to here that we are not alone in this.

Comment

Working...
                        X