No announcement yet.

Deciding what to do...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deciding what to do...

    I was diagnosed with tc and had a left IO and a prosthesis. Now they just gave me the pathology report and both my oncologist and my urologist seem very undecided and practically told me that it was up to me what to do. I'd like to know your opinion. Here are the facts:

    * The PET thing indicated that it is stage I, pathology confirmed no vascular/lymphatic invasion.
    * 80% embrionary carcinoma, 20% immature teratoma.
    * The tumor was 2.3 cm (2.3 X 2.2)
    * Borders are free from neoplasic lesion, also epidydimus.
    * I'm 20.
    * Before surgery, AFP was normal (8.7), bHCG was 44.

    The doctor told me that due to the nature of my tumor, radiation isn't an option. So he said it is either surveilliance or chemo. I'd really want it to be surveilliance but of course would have chemo if it was really, really the best thing to do. What do you think?

    Thanks for everything

  • #2
    Welcome to the forums! I agree with your instinct. Surveillance is a good choice, as long as you faithfully make every follow-up appointment. Chemotherapy will be there as the safety net if cancer recurs. There's about a 70% chance that the orchiectomy already cured you.
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

    Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!


    • #3
      I would have chosen surveillance, no question, if it had been an option for me. As long as you are diligent (!) in your checkups, you'll stand the best chance of doing the least long-term damage to your body. This embryonal carcinoma is supposed to be very fast spreading, so keep that in mind if you start to think about blowing off checkups later.

      What specific chemo regimen has been recommended to you?



      • #4
        Surveillance is a good choice for you but as the others have said don't blow off any appointments. The embryonal component can spread quickly.
        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

        Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.


        • #5
          I vote with the rest of the crew. And I also want to emphasize that follow up appointments are a must. My son has a hard time meeting his surveillance schedule (he had 3xBEP). He travels a lot for his company and it screws up everything. Do not subject yourself to the chemo unless you have to. You are really lucky you caught it early. Dianne
          Spouse: I/O 8/80; embryonal, seminoma, teratoma; RPLND 9/80 - no reoccurrence - HRT 8/80; bladder cancer 11/97; reoccurrence: 4X
          Son: I/O 11/04; embryonal, teratoma; VI; 3XBEP; relapse 5/08; RPLND 6/18/08 - path: mature teratoma


          • #6
            I agree with taking the path of surveillance... Your Afp was slightly elevated @8.7 pre surgery and your HCG was elevated.. What are the levels post surgery??? Have they normalized??? I wouldn't follow surveillance if any of the markers are elevated to high!!!!
            Moffitt Cancer Institute
            CANCER SUCKS
            Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal Tumor@ 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--


            • #7
              My son (also 20 at diagnosis last June) had Non-seminoma, embryonal & teratoma components, but he had no choice of survellance because he had 1709 AFP markers and a large abdominal mass. As the others have said BE SURE YOU GO TO EVERY FOLLOW-UP appointment. Which according to the experts you always have the option of going the chemo route should anything show up in CT Scans, blood work ect. Have they done any CT scans of abdomen? God Bless, Lanette ><> TC survivor mom
              Son (21) Diag 6/29/05;non-seminoma stage II;embryonal carcinoma & teratoma; right I/O 7/1; 4 X BEP; 21.5 x 19.0 x 9.5cm abdominal mass; full bilateral RPLND 11/21/05; 8-06 right arm/hand continues to heal from paralysis due to nerve injury


              • #8
                I'm so happy because I had the first post surgery exams (7 days after the surgery) and I think they look good!
                Gonadotrophins dropped from 44 to not detectable and AFP went from 8.7 from 5.4!!!

                I think I'm gonna do surveilliance

                Thanks for everything.


                • #9
                  Hi hcueva.

                  With a clear PET, no vascular/lymphatic invasion and markers back to normal post orchiectomy, you are a clear candidate for surveillance.

                  You will be fine!

                  Best wishes
                  Embryonal carcinoma, stage II,
                  3 x BEP, apr - june 2005