Causes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Causes?

I am hoping everyone here who has been diagnosed can do this poll.
    Select 1 highest in the list wich applies to you, meaning if you could select 2, only select the one highest in the poll list.

The increase risks I have read about are:

Other cases of TC in the family
    Undecended testiscle(s)
    having a rare complication of mumps called mumps orchitis (painful swelling of the testis)
    Previous testicle injury in effected testicle
    Mother taken DES hormone while pregnant with you.
    Having Klinefelter's syndrome
    Atrophied testicle(s) possibly due to maldevelopment or undecended testicle(s)
    (more to come???)

I know everyone here will say cycling isnt related, I am not saying it is or isnt, But its a small minority of the population who cycle and I see a significant amount of people with TC being cyclists.
    I fit into one of the increased risk criterea(listed in this thread)
    34.48%
    I sit down for long amounts of time on a hard chair, or I ride bikes.
    17.24%
    I hav had at 1 a vitamin defic. or I suspct I hav had a lak of sunlyt at 1 point in my life.
    3.45%
    I believe I developed TC for other reasons, wich I will list in this thread.
    13.79%
    None of the above.
    31.03%
    Last edited by Michael112; 09-23-06, 11:51 PM.
    Aged 23 ;; 09/06 left I/O ;; Markers normal ;; 100% Seminoma Stage 1. ;; 10x8x16mm & 7x7x8mm ;; rete testis invasion. ;; no vascular invasion. ;; surveillance. ;; HRT.

Hi

My husband has got TC but he has not got it in hys testicles... He has a tumour in hys abdomen and we thynk one in hys chest... The cancer is a seminoma... but what he has got is called an Extra Gonadal germ cell tumour... The doctors explained to us that when a baby boy is developing in the womb their testicles are in their abdomen and when they are born the descend (normally) but they can leave behind cells inthe abdomen which can later become cancerous...Which is what has happen to my husband....So really nothyng he could have done in hys life would have prevented hys cancer.... My husband is veggie and dont smoke or drink and he plays football goes to the gym regularly and walks everywhere.... Just thought id add to your little survey... Anyone else insimilar situation?
    regards yvonne

Comment

At one time I came across a paper that had a theory as to why tc seemed to occur more often if you were physically active. It theorized that, wearing testicle supporting and protecting equipment during strenuous physical activity was causing the testicles to overheat and the effect of this overheating was cumulative. As a result the more active you were the more often the testicle overheated and the greater the risk for tc. I don’t quite know what to make of this idea but even if it were proven to be true the benefits of hard physical activity certainly out weigh the odds of getting tc.

Remember this is an unproven theory, I mentioned it to the doctors at Sloan Kettering and they did not agree with it. I just wanted to put it out there as food for thought.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

I had to write one of those poll questions weird cause there was a 100 character limit.

Personally I believe the temperature connection, up until the ages of 13, I slept in briefs, Then at the age of about 16 I easily would of been deficient in vitamin D because I was never out during the day due to agoraphobia and sleep pattern problems.
        When I was at my GPs the other day, they were saying that Vitamin D is proven to kill cancer cells and not kill normal cells, and vitamin D is created from sunlight, and that the skin cancer council would haveto do something about that, instead of telling people to avoid the sun like the plague, you actually need some sun.

On the contrary, one(or both) of my nephews testicles didnt descende until 6 months, so it might run in the family, but there has been no cases up until mine.
        Last edited by Michael112; 09-24-06, 07:07 AM.
        Aged 23 ;; 09/06 left I/O ;; Markers normal ;; 100% Seminoma Stage 1. ;; 10x8x16mm & 7x7x8mm ;; rete testis invasion. ;; no vascular invasion. ;; surveillance. ;; HRT.

Comment

you are what you eat !

I think our diet is the main problem.

I often think about what I have been eating
          I often think about how much mucas is in my colon
          I often think about, man I have not been eating good food.
          If you are not sure about this, check out this site:

I think that all of us need to get our colon cleaned, ASAP; ask you self when was the last time you brushed your teeth?
          Then ask your self when was the last time you cleaned your colon.
          Pretend you 2nd answer was your first and think about that for a while.

Our body is constantly fighting off the bad stuff; that is until it becomes so toxic that it can no longer defend it self.

It is my understanding that the liver has to fail to the point where it is only 35% funtional to get cancer. I would have to guess this functional problem is due to processing too many toxins (the current american diet.)

get fiber and lots of it; drink fresh juice; and put lemon in you water; do everything you can to rejuvinate your body. I heard fasting is a great toxin ridder

I am ranting and must go!

just my 2 pennies!
          10/09/06 -- pT1-pNx-Mx-S0

Comment

hernia

I had an inguinal hernia repair a few years before TC, on the same side, and have heard that there is a statistical connection between hernias and TC.

JS
            Right side orchiectomy, March 2001, 4.5 cm tumor with probable vascular invasion. Chose surveillance.

9.5 cm groinal lymph node tumor found in Dec. 2001

Finished chemo (cisplatin/etopicide) in March 2002.

Two healthy daughters born naturally after chemo, one in January 2004, another in November 2006.

Continued remission to present

Comment

I could write a longer post about snake oil like Gerson therapy and colon cleaning, but I think I'll just quote from the Wikipedia page on Gerson therapy:

The American Cancer Society reports that "there is no reliable scientific evidence that Gerson therapy is effective in treating cancer, and the principles behind it are not widely accepted by the medical community. It is not approved for use in the United States." The Guardian has reported that the main clinic of the Gerson Institute in Mexico charges $4900 per week for the therapy, a possible indication that this therapy is a purely profit-driven industry. The therapy is also declared illegal in the US when sold as a cancer cure, due to the lack of scientific data as to its efficacy.
              .. and it goes on and on. At least cleaning your colon, while it doesn't really do much, is just an expensive laxative. As for the body building up toxins, the body is quite good at getting rid of toxins itself.. and fasting, in my opinion, is nothing more than a good way to lose muscle mass.

That being said, I certainly agree that eating healthy food can prevent cancer, just as eating "bad" food can lead to cancer. Studies have shown that just 5 grammes of trans fatty acids a day raises the risk of certain cancers by 25% for instance.

Oh - and to answer the question. I sit on chairs a large portion of the day and ride bikes, but I don't think either has contributed to me getting TC. Actually, I have no clue what caused it - but if I had to guess I'd say genetics maybe coupled with some unknown risk factors (since Denmark has the highest incident of TC in the world).
              Sincerely,
              Rune

Right I/O, 11/27-2003 | Nonseminoma (embryonal carcinoma, teratoma) | Surveillance

Ride to Live!

Comment

The American Cancer Society

The American Cancer Society: How much money I wonder did the ACS spend on nutrition theropy? ohh I forgot that may lead to a succsessfull approach that would be unprofitable for big money drug companies.

Comment

Amen, Rune.

clyde_on,
                  Fact: pharma companies, both large and small, do look very closely at population-based diet and disease incidence. Natural products research efforts worldwide collect samples of plants, herbs, tree bark, insects, marine life etc, from places that would surprize and greatly disgust you, in an attempt to isolate and analyze active components for potential drugs against a variety of diseases. A successful approach would be profitable .....for example, would you prefer to eat 20 lbs of raw brussel sprouts every day if that could cure colon cancer or take one pill with the active compound isolated from 20 lbs of brussel sprouts?
                  Last edited by Karen; 10-02-06, 03:30 PM.
                  Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

The American Cancer Society is made up of people like you and I. My guess is that they all have had a fair amount of cancer in their families, the same as us. It's hard for me to believe that they would place company profits ahead of the lives of their own family members.
                    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

I wanna think the way you do but

YOu right there are many people that work there but who is in control.
                      that is the real question here is an interseting read:

Comment

Good info!!!!
                        Moffitt Cancer Institute
                        CANCER SUCKS
                        Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

That story doesn't surprise me, most large organizations put people of wealth and power in charge. It certainly does make the American cancer Society appear to be a very poorly run organization with many possible conflicts of interest.
                          I’m not sure if this is good or bad news but on the avoidable cancer page they didn’t list anything about tc. I guess I would feel better if it was avoidable but on the other hand I would feel terribly guilty if it was something I could have prevented my son from getting.

Comment

interesting info!!!
                            diagnosed 01/15/2005 bi-lateral seminoma stage IIa,4cm lymph node, right I/O & partial left I/O mar/2005, 18 days of radiation, remaining left I/O- aug/2005, surveillance, Wife did IVF oct/2005, DAD OF BABY GIRL born 08-02-2006!!! testosterone implants May 2008

Comment

I actually blame my TC on my cellphone, which I was carrying in the pocket of my pants until then. Always had it in my left side pocket and that is the side I developed the cancer.

- Martin
                              Stage IIa, non-seminoma (90% embryno / 10% teratoma); I/O 12/22/04, 3 x BEP, RPLND 05/12/05

Comment

Working...
                              X