Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for TC to progress REALLY slowly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for TC to progress REALLY slowly?

Hi All,

I studied prostate cancer for years. Regarding prostate cancer, we know that generally tumors take YEARS to progress. Almost every Western man has this, but doctors choose surveillance over time, because chances are that something else will kill you before prostate cancer will. However, if it progresses to an aggressive androgen-independent form, the patient is essentially finished.

Does anyone know if this is ever true with TC, especially seminoma? Doesn't anyone ever refuse treatment, and still have a similar sized tumor 5 or 10 years later? The reason I ask is that I always felt I had some problems with lefty... for example, it was always tender in my adult life, and smaller. And I had what I thought was a slight hernia for a couple of years (a nonspecific groin pain). Do any of you have any experiences in what you thought were slow growing cancers?

Regards,

djm
    Detected mass 10-6-06, Radical left I/O 10-10-06, Stage I seminoma, 1.5 cm primary, No LV invasion, No Rete Testis Invasion... Currently on Surveillance.

djm:
    Both are slow growing but you need to look at the age of the patient. If they discover prostate cancer while you are in your 30s-40s it will certainly be treated as opposed to a discover when you are 70.
    Last edited by dadmo; 11-20-06, 09:11 PM.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Originally posted by dadmo
      djm:
      Bith are slow growing but you need to look at the age of the patient. If they discover prostate cancer while you are in your 30s-40s it will certainly be treated as opposed to a discover when you are 70.
      Good point, Dadmo... I have to reprogram my mind and remember that I'm a relatively young guy who was diagnosed with cancer. Youre absolutely right, someone in their late 30s or 40s (and even 50s) who was diagnosed with prostate cancer, would, of course, be treated more aggressively.

Regards,

djm
      Detected mass 10-6-06, Radical left I/O 10-10-06, Stage I seminoma, 1.5 cm primary, No LV invasion, No Rete Testis Invasion... Currently on Surveillance.

Comment

My tumours took 3 years to go from noticable to the size in my signiture, looking at a CM on a ruler it only poked out by about 4mm so I am guessing I would of had it there roucghly since I was about 16 meaning I would of had carcinoma in situ atleast since I was 11. So I have come to the conclusion mine is genetical.

The reason someone in there 30s 40s etc with prostate cancer would be treated more aggresivly is because its an aggresive cancer. If you were 70 and you had prostate cancer, your chances of dying from chemo would be higher, and your chances of dying from the cancer would be much lower, the thing about cancer is in cases where the cancer is non aggressive, you can live for decades. Look at me, I thought about it, if I had left my cancer all my life, my testicle would of been one big tumour by the time I would be.. say 35. And I would probly start experiencing nerve pain from lymph nodes in my 40s or 50s, but maybe not at all, depending on the aggresiveness of the metastasis. 3 years to grow afew mms. My insulin like growth factor is really low 24nmol/l on a scale of 24-102, maybe that explains it.

Ive been wondering this since I have started posting here, when you metastasis testicular cancer what do you die from?
        tumour crushing ur vital organs? sepsis from tumour necrosis? invasion to vital organs?
        Aged 23 ;; 09/06 left I/O ;; Markers normal ;; 100% Seminoma Stage 1. ;; 10x8x16mm & 7x7x8mm ;; rete testis invasion. ;; no vascular invasion. ;; surveillance. ;; HRT.

Comment

Actually

I had a strange pain around '96 and have it checked by university medico urologist however he didn't warn me of anything.
          he was a young guy if I'm not wrong

he definetely understood it was smaller, but he didn't warn me

now I see that always seeing a 2 doctors is better
          so my case may be 10 years to grow but who knows may be it was really nothing

but if I knew small testicle is a risk factor I would have checked that regularly
          for bumps, I had some veins growing before and disappearing so I thought I have varikosel before

Also I read the document from Research section posted by Scott, I have both small testicle and a lot of spots (mole) everywhere around my body
          in dark brown color and really many
          and I have very sensitive skin to sun, not pretty white but easily effected by sun, now I afraid of melanoma as mentioned in this document
          diagnose 18 Aug 06
          Orchiectomy 24 Aug 06
          pure Seminoma, markers normal, PALP positive
          CT 35x45x60 mm at L3
          EPx4 cycle from 6 Oct 2006
          CT no shrinkage after 4 cycle, PET negative 12 Jan 07
          Post chemo mass resection 14 Feb 07
          Found mature teratoma (unusual for seminoma)
          Surveillance !

Comment

Working...
          X