New diagnosis - today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New diagnosis - today...

Hello...I was glad to find this support group. My 24 year old son, Christopher, is newly post op today with a left orchiectomy. He just found a hard lump in his testicle last Saturday. I sent him to have it checked out in the ER where a stat ultrasound was done. The ER doc prepared Chris for the worst right away. We saw the urologist on Monday and here we are to days later, less one testicle and being told he has embryonal cell carcinoma. We are going for a CAT scan tomorrow and do not have any cancer marker lab results back yet. I am an RN for 20 years but being a mom, first and foremost, I can testify that I am no less afraid and overwhelmed myself. I find it difficult to read posts right now because it makes things just too real. Chris has done well today. He is a real trooper and it kills me knowing what he still may have to face above and beyond today. Isn't it enough to have his body image disturbed and his privacy violated? I am very angry at this disease right now. Any words of encouragement are helpful. I hope to find the strength to read all the posts here once I get beyond my own pain.
    Marge(mom) and Chris
    Diagnosed 2/3/07. L I/O on 2/7/07. Clean surgical margins, no vascular or lymphatic involvement. 99% Embrynol and 1% teratoma. Neg. CT and CXR pre-op.
    3/20/07 AFP, HCG, LDH and CT scan all within normal limits. 4/9/07 L-RPLND with only one day in the hospital!

Hi, Marge. Chris is going to come through this stronger than ever. Hang in there, and keep us posted.
    Scott, [email protected]
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Marge:
      Your caring and knowledge will help lead your son through this nightmare. To help yourself prepare you may want to read the information at this site. Stay strong and remember this one can be beaten. Welcome to the forum and stay in touch.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

another nurse mom

Hi Marge,
        You are not alone and have found a most helpful resource for direction and understanding!!!!
        My name is Sharon, my son is Russell, 22, ER diagnosed last July, advanced Mets. It is difficult to be nurse and mother, although both have come in handy! Be sure to honor both. Most important, if you miss being mom, no one else can fill the spot. It sounds like I don't even need to say that, but it was a good reminder to me. The information and concern can be absolutely overwhelming, but I can tell you that there are helpful people along the way. Like all that we learn, each step builds on another, eventually it starts to come together. I like you, could not even read a paragraph without crying and turning away. You are normal, the situation is abnormal. It's an ok place to be, your strength will return and it is not an indication that you will miss anything!! This is a difficult road, but do-able.
        Keep us posted, Russell's mom, Sharon
        Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

As for the "privacy violated" and for the "body image disturbed", I just bought a tshirt that says: "It Takes Balls to beat testicular cancer"... you should have seen the faces of the guys in the gym...
          So, as Scott said, in the mid-long term your son will definitly come out of this stronger.

p.s. wish i had a nurse-mum!

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement...

I believe support groups like this are very important. I look forward to giving and receiving any support needed as we go through our treatment phases. I will attempt to use my nursing knowledge to help anyone else wherever I can. CAT scan scheduled today. Urologist tomorrow to discuss all the lab and CT results. Will keep you posted. Thank you again.

PS...where can I get one of those t shirts? Chris has a great sense of humor and I think he would appreciate one.
            Marge(mom) and Chris
            Diagnosed 2/3/07. L I/O on 2/7/07. Clean surgical margins, no vascular or lymphatic involvement. 99% Embrynol and 1% teratoma. Neg. CT and CXR pre-op.
            3/20/07 AFP, HCG, LDH and CT scan all within normal limits. 4/9/07 L-RPLND with only one day in the hospital!

Comment

Marge:
              There is a lot of knowledge that we can share and believe me we're more then happy to do everthing we can to help you and your son. Just as important this is a great place to vent, us it. Good luck today.
              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Marge,'
                Welcome, unfortunately. Your knowledge, experience and proactive nature, along with your son's attitude will go a LONG way in conquring this. It is cureable, and it is scarey, but you are definately not anle. Vent and ask away...the guys here are amazing in offering what they learned the hard way. Hang in there...Chris will be OK, and then you will be OK too!
                Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Marge,

This is a great place for you to be....I can tell you, through my experience, I depended on this site heavily....it provides a wonderful combination of emotional support when and if you need it....but is also very technical....so much good hard data with repect to testicular cancer...you will find links to every major study, learn about side effects etc...if you are not certain what to ask, or where to find answers...post here.

best of all, you feel like why me, why now...why, why why...and you come here and you are one of many....all with the same problem, the same concerns, the same worries.

The cure rate is so high for TC, that it can be looked at as a bump in your son's (and your family's) life...but I can almost assure you, when you are on the other side of this experience, you will have an experience that you would probably never want to give back....I know this may sound ludicrous, but you will see this theme over and over on these boards from those people and family members that have been through this.

Read through people's stories and you will learn so much about tc.

pete
                  - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
                  - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
                  - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
                  - normal markers PRE surgery
                  - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
                  - Stage I diagnosis
                  - surveillance
                  - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
                  - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
                  - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
                  - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
                  - back on surveillance

Comment

Marge, your son Chris and you will get thru this....but I know how you feel right now....scared, lost, confused...alot of information at once...my Chris was 20 when diagnosed....everything happened so fast...he came home February break from college, said he felt a lump...and before we knew it, he had his first surgery to remove testicle. and he took it all in stride..we were all dying inside for him....he had to leave college and all his friends....it didn't seem fair........please keep informed...its helps when Dr.s talk to you.....this website will be very helpful, both with info and support...you are not alone.....let us know how Chris is doing.....my Chris celebrates his 22nd Birthday on Valentines Day and is doing great...just like your Christopher will be...Mary Ellen

Comment

marge -

I sent you a private message with some info...so feel free to call...

Here is a link to walk you through my situation, which may explain some of my logic for surveillance etc...I did not realize that I did not post this link.

Coping with radiation, chemotherapy, RPLND, or surveillance: treatment issues, test results, surveillance reports. Talk about what's going on with you!

Re: two of your questions...one option I had was to receive 2 courses or BEP right away...purely preventative, just after the surgery...but with nearly an 80% chance of being cured already, I decided to wait.

The MOST important question I asked einhorn and benedetto at this satge, was if I wait, and have a recurrence, will my cure rate come down when I need 3 courses of BEP...and the answer was no....so I chose surveillance.

I already have 2 children...if we were planning to have more, I would have banked sperm, and it is highly suggested to do so if your son is planning to have kids....but I did not have plans with my wife to have more children, and have not been tested since chemo so I could not tell you how it affected my fertility.
                      - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
                      - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
                      - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
                      - normal markers PRE surgery
                      - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
                      - Stage I diagnosis
                      - surveillance
                      - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
                      - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
                      - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
                      - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
                      - back on surveillance

Comment

Marge,

Anger is perfectly understandable at this point, but remember that your son is young and strong, and the treatment will save his life. Just think of what may have happened if your son hadn't sought treatment.

Besides, I was diagnosed at age 48, then I beat stage III embryonal carcinoma and I feel great. Your son will do great also.

Please let us know how he is doing!
                        Left I/O 6/24/05
                        100% Embryonal Cell Carcinoma, Stage III
                        4xBEP August - October 2005
                        Surveillance since Nov. 2005

Comment

Marge,
                          As a Mom, I can honestly say, "I know how you feel". You are fortunate to find this site early in your son's journey. It will be so helpful for you and Chris. Just know we are all here pulling for you and your son. Take one day at a time. You and Chris WILL get through this!
                          Jane
                          Mother of TC survivor.
                          Son, Josh 20, diagnosed Jan. 24, 2005. Left Orchiechtomy Jan.31, 2005. 4XBPE March 7th to May 28th 2005.

Comment

Marge,
                            Many great things are learned from this site. Please don't hesitate to use it.
                            Just three weeks ago I had labs done and the nurse wished me a belated happy B-day(Jan 15th & the day I was diagnosed in 2004) and I said thank you but I have kinda put that day aside since 2004 and not really wanting to "celebrate" that day. And she said to me "why not celebrate... even though you found out you had cancer...at least you found out you did have it". I had never looked at it that way....a blessing!

My thoughts and prayers,
                            Brian
                            diagnosed 01/15/2005 bi-lateral seminoma stage IIa,4cm lymph node, right I/O & partial left I/O mar/2005, 18 days of radiation, remaining left I/O- aug/2005, surveillance, Wife did IVF oct/2005, DAD OF BABY GIRL born 08-02-2006!!! testosterone implants May 2008

Comment

Marge,

Huckchef's right about TC diagnosis. I like to joke that I felt fine before treatment, but then my oncologist started treatment and I didn't feel so great. But, look--I'm here, cancer-free over a year after treatment. Just think if I hadn't made that phone call to my family physician...I wouldn't be typing these words.

Remember that historically TC treatment is extremely successful. It's worked for us who contribute to this forum. I can't speak for others, but I made it through chemo and I'm a very happy guy.
                              Left I/O 6/24/05
                              100% Embryonal Cell Carcinoma, Stage III
                              4xBEP August - October 2005
                              Surveillance since Nov. 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X