No announcement yet.

Seminoma diagnosis 12/8

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seminoma diagnosis 12/8

    First off I haave already read some posts and am feeling very inspired and motivated by all the stories. There is nothing in my area for this specific cancer and it's nice to find some comfort in an online community.

    Quick history:

    6/3/22 - saw urologist regarding infertility (really poor semen analysis that had to be addressed)
    6/7/22 - got results of ultra sound. 1.8cm non palpable lesion on left testicle
    6/28/22 - tumor markers all normal
    9/30/22 - no change in lesion or tumor markers
    12/5/22 - left radical orchiectomy
    12/8/22 - pathology revealed 100 percent seminoma, tumor stage 1a.

    CT scans and Xray scheduled for 12/30
    ***I was able to get my scans moved to 12/23 and will meet with the oncologist on 12/30***


    The tunica vaginalis is tan pink with a minimal amount of fibrous adhesions. The tunica albuginea is pale tan and smooth. The testis is sectioned to reveal a firm tan-gray lesion with an irregular border
    measuring 1.7 x 1.4 x 1.1 cm. The lesion is located in the mid-posterior aspect of the testis with no extension into the
    mediastinum testis. The remaining testicular parenchyma is tan and homogeneous. The seminiferous tubules string with slight
    difficulty. The epididymis and mediastinum testis are unremarkable.​

    Final Pathologic Diagnosis

    Testis and spermatic cord, left, orchiectomy: · Seminoma
    · Tumor size: 1.8 cm
    · Tumor invades rete testis only
    · Lymphovascular invasion: Not identified
    · All margins negative for tumor · Pathologic stage (pTNM): pT1a

    ​.placental Alkaline Phosphatase (positive), Oct-4 (positive), CD117 (positive), SALL4 (positive), PanKeratin (negative), Epithelial Membrane Antigen (negative), AFP (negative), Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (negative), Inhibin (negative), CD30
    (negative), Glypican 3 (negative).

    I know we should have cut this bad boy out sooner but my urologist was not concerned based on the ultra sound, test results, and how it felt. For a few months my wife and I were navigating the world of infertility and insurance clearance and he didn't make it seem urgent. Once we got the fertility issues dealt with with we knew we had to do the radical orchiectomy.

    Now that we actually know it was cancer I'm doubting everything about the decision to wait. Everything I feel in my body is now assumed to be a symptom of metastasis and I just have so much anxiety over officially knowing cancer was/is in my body and I put off dealing with it. I just want to get my scans done so I know what's next.

    For those who had to wait for results or waited to take action for what ever reason, what has helped you guys deal with mental side of this?

    Last edited by Eastcoastnc; 12-19-22, 02:51 PM. Reason: Appointment update

  • #2
    The CT on 12/30 is going to be the most important piece of information and I suppose will be the ultimate decider but I would not be overly concerned at this point. There isn't anything you can do about the delay now. Also, one never knows when a delay is good or bad. I waited 7 months from feeling a lump to going to the doctor, which is not advised, but I ended up with pure seminoma and still stage I. So my point is sure, you don't want to wait but no reason to believe it is catastrophic.

    Right now it is difficult with the unknowns but you will get the CT results soon and then be able to formulate a plan.

    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

    For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.


    • #3
      Thanks for the words of wisdom! I am reading a lot of stories and realizing there really isn't much point in worrying about the time line, it's just easier said than done. Ultimately it's just not having a plan I'm struggling with, but I know it will be here soon enough.

      I did start seeing a therapist so we are trying to work on some coping skills to help me live the life i have today instead of worrying about the life I might be living in a month or 2.

      Thanks again Mike.


      • #4
        I am sorry to see you here. I wonder whether you have considered moving up the CT-scan? There isn't much reason why you should wait till 12/30, unless there is no appointment available prior to that date...Just my two cents' worth, as I am also still at the stage of the unknown about my son's situation until the next CT scan in February. In his case, there is a clinical reason to wait till then.


        • #5
          So when I made the appointment that was the best I could get, but my urologist's assistant was able to move everything up a week for me.

          This was also my first time seeing him since he did my surgery and did a good job of calming my nerves from his perspective of the diagnosis. I am getting slightly more comfortable at knowing we can deal with the road ahead.