Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFP raised in Seminoma

Hi everyone

Happy Easter to you all.... My hubby having had stage III seminoma is now is surveliance... We had blood clinic on Good Friday just there and during the conversation wyth th doctor we were told Georges AFP had been raised... Which is unusual in a Seminoma .... I wondered if anyone else had had thys or heard of it and anyone had any clues to why it would be raised...Doctor did not seem concerned about it as George is doing Great... He has gained weight, and hys energy levels are back up in fact he got more energy than me...Wouldnt be hard tho :-) .... George had what thye calledExtra Gonadal germcell tumour (dont have any tumours in testicles) He had large tumour on lymph node in abdomen and smaller one in chest cavity... He styll has tingling sensation in feet and fingers most days but he says and i say its a small price to pay for hys life.. We also visited the wards when we werethere on Friday and one guy was back in Kevin...He was the first guy my hubby made friends wyth on hys first day there awaylast August. Kevin has had alot done to hym in past year but continues to fight on...He now on high dosage chemo and altho he felt lyke ****, i actually thought he looked good.... I admire thys guy, he has 2 wee kiddies and it just makes me so grateful for what we came through is nothyng to what thys guy has came through and styll going through.... He laughed as we hadnt seen eacg other since Christmas and bless hym he was embarrassed because he had forgot my name... He was so pleased we had gone to visit hym....I thynk about thys guy and hys family often and pray each night that he is eventually cured.... Altho my George is doing well i will never forget that these wards exist... Bless , Yvonne

Originally posted by ivannabanana
    We had blood clinic on Good Friday just there and during the conversation wyth th doctor we were told Georges AFP had been raised... Which is unusual in a Seminoma ....
    Seminoma doesn't cause elevated AFP. How raised was it?

Best wishes to you, George, and Kevin.
    Scott, [email protected]
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
      Seminoma doesn't cause elevated AFP. How raised was it?

Best wishes to you, George, and Kevin.
      Scott is correct...AFP is never elevated in pure seminoma. You may want to have the blood test repeated and make sure George isn't taking any dietary supplements etc, which MAY give a false positive.
      Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Confused again :-)

Hi Everyone, sorry i havent replied ive been under the weather (shame really cos we have had some SUNSHINE here in Scotland :-) ) .... I read ur replies and panicked!!! and styll panicking!! My husband says that our docotor had said to us at one tyme there is more than one tumour, the biggest being in hys abdomen the otheres in hys chest cavity... They only took biopsy from the large tumour, which is which the pathology will read from.... Is it then possible that the othr tumours altho smaller and in different place could be non seminoma therefore makin hys AFP be raised... Please help me understand i dont want to make myself look dumb to these doctors...HYs tumours have all reduced and according to the doctors they are dead becos the tumour markers are within a normal range and have been since week one of hys chemo... He due to go for 2nd follow up ct scan in next few weeks... Im so worried again, we may have missed somethyng but im thynking if it had been nonseminoma would the treatment he recieved not have been the same anyway..George had 4xBEP from 29 Aug till 5 Nov 06.... .... I hope everyone is in good spirits, bless Yvonne

Comment

Originally posted by ivannabanana
          ...but im thynking if it had been nonseminoma would the treatment he recieved not have been the same anyway..George had 4xBEP from 29 Aug till 5 Nov 06....
          Yes, the treatment would have been the same. You can rest easy on that point!
          Scott, [email protected]
          right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Working...
          X