No announcement yet.

son just diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Michele: Waiting is always so difficult...but do your best to not let your mind wander into dark, what-if's. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts!

Keeping our fingers crossed for you!
    Maria
    *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
    *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
    *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Michele:
      So sorry you guys have to be going through this. The people here are great for support and will answer any questions.

Haven't seen where you posted if your son had a CT (chest abdomen pelvis) or Xrays (chest). You'll need this together with the pathology and lab work to get a complete picture of what to do next.
      TC 1 10.18.2005
      Left I/O, Stage IA (pT1)
      Normal Markers, No VI or LI
      Teratoma, Yolk Sac
      Surveillance

TC 2 9.12.2006
      Right Organ Sparing I/O, Stage IB (pT2)
      ^Markers, LVI, ITGN @ margin
      Embryonal Carcinoma, Yolk Sac, Teratoma
      RTx10 18Gy testicle only Complete 11.1.2006
      Surveilling Again, HRT

Comment

yes, Brad had ct scan of abd/pelvis and chest xray day before i/o.
        the chest xray was negative, and there was one enlarged lymph node in pelvic area( i think that is what they said). As far as i know they did not do anything about that node. Do you think that node means anything??
        Michele
        ________
        Free gang bang videos
        Last edited by mkl; 04-04-11, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Hi,
          All of the un-known's and waiting is close to insanity. For me it felt like every instinct had been ignited and was burning out of contol. The happy news.... this is a job that you can do and the support that you have already encounted will help you find your balance. How is your son holding up? Take care, Russell's Mom, Sharon
          Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mkl
            yes, Brad had ct scan of abd/pelvis and chest xray day before i/o.
            the chest xray was negative, and there was one enlarged lymph node in pelvic area( i think that is what they said). As far as i know they did not do anything about that node. Do you think that node means anything??
            Michele
            Hi Michelle,
            I'm Joe, and I had a similiar path post I/O.
            I think the enlarged node is of some concern- but most likely manageable through RPLND.
            I'm sure Brad will be fine, please keep us posted.
            Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
            Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
            The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Michelle,
              The enlarged node is a sign that the cancer has spread a bit and it may mean that he needs chemo to clear it up. His chances of being cured are still fantastic it will just take a bit more treatment. As others have mentioned make sure you go with your son to his appointments and bring a pad and pen to take notes. Your head will certainly be spinning for a while but we can help you work your way through this mess.
              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

thanks to everyone who has responded... I am feeling pretty alone right now, and this forum has helped me so much. Brad did not have a good day emotionally today..so answers can't come quick enough. He wants to fight this thing and get on with his life. I am able to talk with friends/family,and i've gotten so much information/support from this web site. But he has not reached out to any friends yet. I don't know how to help him.

Thanks again..
                Michele
                ________
                Shemale ladyboy

Comment

Originally posted by mkl
                  Brad did not have a good day emotionally today..so answers can't come quick enough. He wants to fight this thing and get on with his life.
                  Michele,
                  It's normal for Brad to have some feelings of frustration and wanting to beat this to the ground. There is a morsel in what I quoted above, and it is that he wants to fight this and "get on with his life." This is a good attitude to have. It is quite evident to me that you are doing very well by him to gather all the information and learning about this beast. You are doing a phenomenal job, and you should be commended for it.
                  The whole diagnosis and the whirlwind surrounding the first few weeks after Dx and the I/O can be very draining on both the patient and the caregivers. He should rest assured that his chances of being cured are very high. As dadmo said, the fact that there is an enlarged node means that there is some spread, but it is still quite treatable. It is understandable that he might be keeping things bottled up, but having friends around along with a good support system can do wonders during recovery and treatment.
                  Once you get the full pathology report, post it here. The information contained therein is crucial in determining further treatment. Chances are that either further surgery or chemo could be necessary. It's all a matter of being informed and proactive (and you are doing just that). Hang in there, and be sure to tell Brad that he's got a huge cheering section here.
                  "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                  11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                  12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Michele:
                    It's not unusual for guy to keep this a secret. For men losing a testicle is a really big deal. Your son will reach out when he needs to. The most important thing is that he wants to fight.
                    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Originally posted by mkl
                      ...there was one enlarged lymph node in pelvic area( i think that is what they said). As far as i know they did not do anything about that node. Do you think that node means anything??
                      Typical spread is to retroperitoneal lymph nodes. How large is that pelvic lymph node? Did your doctors suggest that it was cause for concern? Did they lay out a plan from here?

I wouldn't assume this is cancer.
                      Scott
                      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

I am so sorry that you and your son have to embark on this journey.

This forum will give you more information and support than you can imagine!

Please let us know what the pathology says.
                        Rob and Stacy
                        DX: 3/10/05, AFP: 15,047, L I/O: 3/28/05, Yolk sac tumor & teratoma, Stage IIIC, 3xBEP & 1xEP: 4/4/07 - 6/25/07, AFP: 14, RPLND 8/10/07, w. left kidney removed. 10/19/07, AFP: 1.9

Comment

We are almost one year from Russell's diagnosis and the whole process has kept me very humble...still does. When I think that I have my balance and a grip on things, they change a bit. Russell and I are close, but my predictions about his responses and friends have surprised me as much as anything. I noticed that many of Russell's friends were totally by his side, but carried the same spin out feelings that we had. Some cared, but just couldn't get close. We just keep talking about the crazy ride and how it is for us/everyone. The nice thing is that in this confusion comes the surprise, unexpected gifts. People offering strength and support in ways that you would never have imagined. Although it is a daily effort, I try to balance the have to tasks with the goodness that is threaded through it all. Not an easy task, but it helps when I can. I would do anything to change this situation, but have learned that Russell is much much more than than I ever even imagined. If I can offer some advice, be gentle with yourself in the confusion, stay on the task of learning about the disease and it's treatment and appreciate the ups and downs that your son will experience. This forum is unlike anything I have ever experienced, there is much support here. Keep in touch, Russell's Mom, Sharon
                          Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

Tagging on to what Scott said,

the path of spread is fairly predictable. Can you post the description of the node from the CT report? Words like 'nonspecific' or a node with dimensions greater than 1cm but described as 'not pathologically enlarged' signal a node that should be watched but because of it's location, inflammation may not be cancer related.

-chris
                            TC 1 10.18.2005
                            Left I/O, Stage IA (pT1)
                            Normal Markers, No VI or LI
                            Teratoma, Yolk Sac
                            Surveillance

TC 2 9.12.2006
                            Right Organ Sparing I/O, Stage IB (pT2)
                            ^Markers, LVI, ITGN @ margin
                            Embryonal Carcinoma, Yolk Sac, Teratoma
                            RTx10 18Gy testicle only Complete 11.1.2006
                            Surveilling Again, HRT

Comment

path report

representative sections of the two mass lesions disclose a mixed nonseminomatous germ cell tumor composed of approx equal amounts of embryonal carcinoma and mature teratoma. Microscopically the embryonal component is composed of solid sheets of high grade malignant cells w large vesicular nuclei, marked nuclear pleomorphism, prominent nucleoli and varying amts of amphophilic somewhat vacuolated cytoplasm. Mitotic figures are abundant and geographic areas of tumor necrosis are encountered. The teratomatous component includes cysts of mature squamous epithelium and cartilage. No immature elements are identified. No tumor invasion of the overlying tunica is seen. Sections of the epididymis and spermatic cord surgical margin are negative for neoplasm.

Mixed germ cell tumor-50%Embryonal carcinoma
                              50% mature teratoma
                              Primary Tumor (pT) pT1 Limited to testis and epididymis w/o vascular/lymphatic invasion(tumor may invade tunical albuginea but not tunica vaginalis).

Still waiting on serum tumor markers....just had blood drawn today.
                              Does anyone have any words of encouragement, or things we should be concerned of. Have not talked w dr yet. I work in the office, so i just got the path report, and have appt w doc on Monday.
                              Thanks
                              Michele
                              ________
                              Zx14 vs hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by mkl
                                Does anyone have any words of encouragement...
                                Yes! Absence of lymphatic or vascular invasion means less chance of spread beyond the testicle. Hang in there.
                                Scott
                                right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎