Just Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Diagnosed

Hi, I was just diagnosed with TC 3 days ago. I am scheduled for the IO on Tuesday. I had the ultrasound and chest xrays done. I saw the ultrasound and saw a big dark spot. I did not see my chest xrays (maybe nothing there to see?). I have also had blood drawn, but do not know any results yet.

About 2 months ago I lifted a heavy rock (lifted with my legs, etc...) and later that day my testicles were sore. I kept aware of the soreness and (after not really paying attention to how big my testicles were normally, even after they have been hanging around for the past 41 years) noticed a definite size difference and that my left one had a hard spot on the middle side of it and it was painful to the touch (the right testicle seemed to be the one with swelling). I made an appointment with my family doctor and he suspected hydrocele and referred me to a urologist. Well, because I was a new patient and it was suspected hydrocele, I had to wait about a month to get in and see the urologist. He examined me and with a very serious look on his face told me that he was very concered about what he felt. I was immediately sent around the corner for the ultrasound and chest xray. After reviewing the ultrasound he explained about the two types of TC and said that I had to have it removed. He said that it would be sent off for testing and would determine what type it is and then about two to three weeks later I would have to go back for another blood draw to check the markers. So now I wait.

Thinking back now, sometime during the last few months I had noticed strange feelings in my stomach or just below. I know that I have had back pains, but not sure if it is my ten year old mattress or something else. Does back pain associated with TC occur as a constant pain or occurs at various times?

Does this all seem like the normal sequence of events? Should there be any second opinions during this process? If there was anything to see on the chest xrays would/should the doctor have said something?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    --- Jim ---
    Dx pure seminoma 8/1/07
    Left IO 8/7/07
    CT 8/14/07 two enlarged nodes
    RT starts 9/04/07

Hi, Wireless, and welcome to our inclusive club that few are eager to join! Your story so far is very familiar. It sounds as though everything is on the right track, though Tuesday's surgery can't come soon enough. Depending on the pathology report and other test results, you may want a second opinion from a center with testicular cancer expertise, but at least for now, it's fine just to get on with the program.

I wouldn't speculate about your back pain. There are so many possible causes for that. Your CT scan, chest x-ray, and blood tests after the orchiectomy will be better indicators. I suspect if your chest x-ray had shown signs of spread, you would have been told, but you can always call back and ask.

Hang in there, and keep us posted.
    Scott, [email protected]
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Very familiar!! Welcome. This is a great support group...for all of your concerns. If I might suggest...keep a pencil and paper ready when you talk with your doctors...or ask them for print outs of your chart as it is produced, the information will come fast and furious, not to mention weaving through your emotions. It is still do-able. Writing down the info will let you research with a secure mind later. Also, are you planning on future additions to your family? Be sure to discuss sperm banking with your care providers. Russell did have back pain. Take care, keep in touch, Sharon
      Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

hi wireless - way to get on it...very smart.

all the things you decribe - back pain - may or may not be tied to TC - though it is a common symptom....

don't even attempt to read the ct scan or chest xray....I saw mine after the the doc had read it and given me the diagnosis - it was clear just after the orch. but had I not known that i could have found 10 things that looked "bad" to me....

The surgery is a breeze - really it is....I could not stand going to a doc or hospital before this happened to me....My wife was a physical therapist when we met - I'd get nervous picking her up at the hospital. I was more nervous about the surgery than the cancer.

When I woke up from surgery, my first thought was, "that's it??" I woke up at 8:05am and was walking out at 8:30....which I'm told is a little faster than usual - some places will keep you longer...but still...I was fine...

this is the best place you could have found for TC...I'm certain your head is spinning now...post your pathology as soon as you get it.

Let me know where you are in florida - i'm in delray beach...One of the best TC docs is at the University of Miami - Dr. Einhorn recommended him to me...Dr. Benedetto is his name if you ever feel you need a 2nd opinion.

anyway - good luck - you'll be fine.

pete
        - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
        - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
        - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
        - normal markers PRE surgery
        - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
        - Stage I diagnosis
        - surveillance
        - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
        - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
        - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
        - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
        - back on surveillance

Comment

From what I've read (and I'm not an expert) I would agree with Scott and the others. Get this taken care of asap. Speed is your friend. The Orchiectomy is a simple procedure and you will be fine in short order.

A couple of things I would ponder. Do you want an implant? I think its better to do it when they do the Orchiectomy. *Less recovery time etc. If so which one and how large? I had one made by a place called AART and I'm very happy with it. I heard about it from a Doctor who teaches Urology and Cosmetic surgery at UCLA. He wasn't too keen on the Mentor appliances and my Surgeon after putting this one in me was as he put it "surprised and impressed" I'm happy as a clam.

And further down the line after your better - you will want to talk about HRT or at least see if you need it.

After the surgery don't laugh without leaning forward. Ouch! And I hope things go great for you.

Comment

Welcome! The I/O will be over before you know it and a relatively quick procedure. Frozen bags of peas make great ice packs, apply pressure with your palm on the incision if you fee a laugh, cough or sneezes coming on so you don't keel like you 'v ripped your incision open (you won't). Go easy on the narcotic pain meds,...they'll constipate you and you DON"T want to strain! Move forward from here and the path, markers, CT and chest X-ray will fill in the blanks. I'm a believer in a second read on the pathology since it's SOOOO critical to the next steps and smaller hospoials/labs may not have seen a lot of testicular tumors. You'll be OK with the surgery and we'll all help you through the rest!
            Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you all for the info and encouragement. It really helps to hear from people have gone through this themselves of with a loved one.

I have talked with my wife and we are not going to get an implant. I think if I was younger and on the prowl that I would. There will not be any more additions to the family in the future. I have a 17 yo daughter from a previous marriage and have a 9 yo son and a 6 yo daughter with my current wife. My wife's grandmother died from pancreatic cancer and her mother dies from ovarian cancer almost 7 years ago, so she is no stranger to this. I have read that if you had to choose which one you get that TC would be the best one (not that any are good).

I'm not sure how long it will take to get the blood test results back, but I was going to call the doctor's office tomorrow and try to find out anything. I would like to find out what the markers are at. I will let you all know what the pathology report is when I find out.

As far as the surgery, I am no stranger to it. In 2000 I had my vasectomy, 2001 I had a rectal abcess and in 2002 had my tonsils out. I want to find out what the pain level is for the IO compared to the tonsilectomy. That was a couple weeks of pain. I'll post again after the surgery and let you know how it went.

Thanks again for everything.
              --- Jim ---
              Dx pure seminoma 8/1/07
              Left IO 8/7/07
              RT starts 9/04/07

Comment

Hey Wireless,

Welcome here. It looks like the sequence of events is falling into place, and Tuesday can't come too soon. The bloodwork is quite straightforward, so your results should be available quickly. You did mention having had a chest X-ray. Did you have an abdominal/pelvic CT scan as well? That will also be part of the arsenal of information that will be necessary to determine the course of treatment after the I/O.

In the meantime, focus on the I/O and your recovery. That's the first step in being cured. Make sure you do no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks after your surgery. Use the painkillers as needed, but don't over-do it, as they are narcotics that may cause severe constipation. The surgery is quite straightforward (45-60 minutes long). You will be rather wobbly and swollen for the first few days, but each day will be better than the next.

We'll be looking forward to hearing from you after the I/O. Good luck!
                "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Wireless:
                  I'm sorry but welcome to our family. Check out this link of questions to ask . It's a great way to get you started down the path to a cure. From what you have posted so far it sounds like your doctor is going to do fine.
                  Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Hi Wireless00: Your head must be spinning right now...My husband and I remember our head-spin moments in February like yesterday...and yet I'm happy to say that six months later there are days when it all seems like such a memory ago. Take this one step at a time...don't be afraid of the orchiectomy. Most guys go home the same day. You will find a lot of supporters here who will give you great insights. We'll be thinking happy thoughts for you on Tuesday...best wishes!
                    Maria
                    *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
                    *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
                    *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Best wishes for a great appt. on Tuesday!
                      Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
                      Current DVT
                      Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

I never had my tonsils out, but the pain wasn't too bad. You can walk around after you wake up, and I could sit in a recliner after just one day. I've had sprains that hurt me far worse that the I/O.
                        4/26/07 - mass confirmed w/ no elevated markers
                        4/27/07 - left I/O
                        5/2/07 - Dx: 100% seminoma stage 1A
                        Surveillance: CT/blood (6 month cycle)
                        4/27/13 - 6 years cancer free!

Comment

Surery complete

Hi All,

Surgery is over and I'm not feeling too bad with the meds. I found out that my blood labs from Thursday were all normal. My doc said that it looks like seminoma, but still have to wait for pathology reports. I will have an appt later in the week for the results. Feeling a little nausious. Will check back later.

Thanks again for your support.
                          --- Jim ---
                          Dx pure seminoma 8/1/07
                          Left IO 8/7/07
                          RT starts 9/04/07

Comment

Rest up and remember that you may already be cured! Please post the path report and CT results when you get them.
                            Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Wireless...so glad you are home. Hope you are feeling better soon!
                              Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
                              Current DVT
                              Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Working...
                              X