Now that my son's cured I want to be happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that my son's cured I want to be happy

Last night Nancy and I had dinner with Jason's exgirlfriend. Her birthday was last week and we wanted to make sure we did some celebrating with her. The topic of her and jason breaking up was something Nancy and I agreed that we would not talk about. Murielle is very special to us and always will be no matter what transpires between her and Jason. Half way through the evening she informed us that her and Jason have been talking and that when we were in Tobago she was at our house with Jason and some old college pals. You could have knocked me over with a feather. She's a bit cautious about Jason and I don't blame her, he did hurt her badly. She said that when she talks to him now he sounds like th old upbeat Jason and that he finally feels free of the disease. She still thinks he should just talk to someone just to have an unbiased person to express his feelings to. She has been talking to several people about survivorship issues and credits this forum with helping her deal with her co-survivorship. I'm not sure what will happen between her and Jason but what I thought was a sunset may actually be a new dawn.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Now that's good news. Take a big gulp of your lemonade, dadmo!
    Scott
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Scott:
      Just when I thought Jason had thrown me under the bus, the bus made a turn. He knows we took his ex out for dinner but he didn’t say anything. I'm a bit nervous about getting too excited. I do want to thank everyone for helping me work through this most difficult time. You have all been great.
      Last edited by dadmo; 05-04-06, 12:39 PM.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Thats really nice to hear Bill. And really nice of you and your wife to take her out to dinner, very thoughtful,, i'm sure she appreciated that. Hopefully things will work out =)
        Diagnosed 10/03/03
        I/O 10/15/03
        RPLND 1/21/04
        Completed the Boston Marathon 4/19/05
        Completed the Boston Marathon 4/17/06
        Baby Riley born on 3/29/09

2012 Livestrong Challenge Web page

Comment

Dadmo:

I never really found out, through all the stories, help and advice you have posted in this forum, if Jason ever made it here himself to read some of what others have gone through?

I think I know the answer, but I still find it hard to believe ...

- Martin
          Stage IIa, non-seminoma (90% embryno / 10% teratoma); I/O 12/22/04, 3 x BEP, RPLND 05/12/05

Comment

Martin:
            Jason has never looked at anything posted here. Like a lot of guys he feels that asking for help with emotional problems is a sign of weakness. For that I take full blame. Like all families we have had to deal with death, my reaction has always been to stay steady tell everyone how sad it is but never ever never show a soft side. That is one of thoses issues that I have to work on, he needs to see me emotional. Even when his disease was active I was a rock, it seemed someone needed to be. My typical attatude is "hey gang I'm right here, throw me your life line and i can pull you to safety, right here next to me. Stay steady man stay steady, don't let them see you sweat. I will admit I pulled more then my share to safety but the one most important to me wouldn't throw the line. I guess he didn't want me to see him sweat.
            Last edited by dadmo; 05-20-06, 04:35 AM.

Comment

You sound like my husband...but he has such a soft side...just like you, Bill. Dianne
              Spouse: I/O 8/80; embryonal, seminoma, teratoma; RPLND 9/80 - no reoccurrence - HRT 8/80; bladder cancer 11/97; reoccurrence: 4X
              Son: I/O 11/04; embryonal, teratoma; VI; 3XBEP; relapse 5/08; RPLND 6/18/08 - path: mature teratoma

Comment

All indications are that the sun may shine again. It was an extremely long and cold winter. Thank goodness for the warmth of a wonderful (friend, lover, drinking partner, party thrower, nightmare chaser) wife.

Comment

Well gang here we go. This is a picture of my family as I hope it may be, It's me (yes Don I'm clearly hammered) Jason, Nancy and my number 2 best girl Murielle.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by dadmo; 05-07-06, 08:26 PM.

Comment

his mustash needs a little more work - just like mine

i still cherish every single hair i can grow after chemo, no matter how puny.
                    tc makes you enjoy for the little things in life again (sometimes literally)
                    Stage IIa, non-seminoma (90% embryno / 10% teratoma); I/O 12/22/04, 3 x BEP, RPLND 05/12/05

Comment

where did i put that beer now?!

Comment

Martin:
                        One of the really weird things with Jason's mustache is that before chemo he couldn't grow one. The photo that I put up was from about 15 months ago but now he's back to not being able to grow a mustache.

Comment

Nice to see everyone smiling...."Hi Nancy....." hope your summer is a great one...Mary Ellen

Comment

Slowly, slowly as if it were a fresh new day my world is being warmed. I have given up on tough love. I’m an old softy now. When I was younger I would have never thought it, but unconditional love is the only path. How fortunate I am to actually have that ship come in.

Comment

Here I am

Hi Bill (Dadmo),

I just saw your post on the TC-Net and had never seen this one. It's pretty nice! So, I just joined and thought I'd say hello. I posted my son's story back to you on the TC-Net but maybe I should also put it up here in another thread.

Interestingly, like your son, my son David has never taken an interest in sharing his strory and joining a support list. He does not even realize (well, maybe a little) that MOST of the information that I was able to feed to him was gained on the TC-NET. But, because of the knowledge we gained on the other list, he was able to steer through a fairly complicated case and not make any wrong moves.

He thinks it is strange that I still frequent the list after 8 years. I am just happy that he is still here to think I am strange!

I just like to share his story with others in the hope that maybe it will help someone else get through this TC-Hell. I have been surprised at the number of people who get ERROREOUS information from their doctors. Sometimes I, and others on the list, am able to steer them in a different direction. I think we have saved lives in that way.

I look forward to participating here.

Tom Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X