Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scuba Diving after Bleomycin??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scuba Diving after Bleomycin??

    Does anyone have any information about whether it would still be safe for someone to Scuba-dive post-chemo bleomycin? I finished 3xBEP in April and my Oncologist could not tell me either way.

  • #2
    ghjones:
    This comes up more often then you would think. Follow this link
    Scuba for some good information. In general you can do no diving in the first 2 years after BEP, after that you will need to get your lungs checked and even if you get the ok you will need to stay with 2 atmospheres of the surface. I do quite a bit of scuba diving but Don is the real master in this area, if he doesn't see to this thread you may want to send him a private message.
    Last edited by dadmo; 07-25-07, 03:25 PM.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

    Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ghjones,

      Dadmo is spot-on with his response... You could try to have the pulmonary function test after 18 months but you really should wait at least 24 months and you can (normally-as long as you didn't sustain heavy lung damage from Bleo) dive down to 66 feet(20.116 meters) in depth safely ....You can always snorkle for the time being while waiting the 2 years and if your going into the Carribean,Spain,Virgin Island etc. Their is great snorkling at about 15-25 feet.... I some cases I almost preferre to do that instead of hauling a bunch of gear!!!!!! Have Fun and Hope you are doing well!!!!
      Moffitt Cancer Institute
      CANCER SUCKS
      Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

      Comment


      • #4
        Just to add to that response. If you are a free diver your depth of decent should not be an issue because you will not be breathing compressed air.
        Last edited by dadmo; 05-23-06, 02:28 PM.
        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

        Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ask a pulmonologist to test you

          As a PADI certified diver, this was a concern to me. My oncologist didn't know either. I read the info here and was discouraged.

          Since I had prior lung issues (asthma as a kid), at my insistance, I had a pulmonologist watch me during chemo. After about six weeks of Bleo (once a week), I was having a hard time breathing. He did an x-ray and saw the beginnings of inflamation and scar tissue. He also saw that my lung capacity had gone from 88% pre-chemo to 51%. He immediately ordered the Bleo be stopped. He then put me on high doses of Prednisone (anti-inflamitory) and I bounced back.

          My pulmonologist told me that there is a test he can give me to see if I would be able to dive in the future. I haven't taken the test or asked details since I plan on abstaining from SCUBA diving for two years post-chemo. Not a big deal for me since I only dive during vacations (I live near Los Angeles, and it really isn't worth diving around here , in my opinion).

          Bottom line-see a pulmonologist before you think about diving. There may be hope for diving again.

          ________
          Live Sexy Cams
          Last edited by BeachTech; 08-12-11, 12:16 AM.
          BeachTech
          Diagnosis
          Diagnosed May 2005
          Stage IIa
          Pure Embryonic Carcinoma
          One 2.0cm tumor in testicle
          One 1.0cm tumor in lymph node

          Treatment
          Radical orchiectomy
          Two cycles of BEP
          Two cycles of EP (the Bleo was causing lung issues)

          Complications
          Pulmonary Embolism (Almost died)
          Extremely low red blood count (Required 4 blood transfusion)

          Status
          In remission since August 2005
          July 2011-tumor markers clean!

          Favorite Question
          "Which testicle did they remove?"

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the advice chaps, much appreciated. I think I'll delay booking any holidays to the Red Sea for at least a couple of years!

            Comment

            Working...
            X