IU Cancer Center Fundraising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IU Cancer Center Fundraising

Got a solicitation from the IU Cancer Center yesterday, signed by Dr. Einhorn (not an original signature). This is the first time they've asked for money, even though it's been 1 1/2 years since I had my RPLND. I'm sure the Rev and I will add them to our Christmas list (and ask other family members to donate as well).

Anybody else who's been treated at IU get one of these? I wonder if they wait a certain length of time before asking for funds. The morbid side of me also wonders whether they solicit families of those they have treated who did not survive.

Gifts are made through the IU Foundation (the current campaigns are for lung cancer and miscellaneous other cancers, including TC - you have to designate which on your check). Interestingly, the URL on the return envelope is dead. I was able to go to the IU Cancer Center page and link to giving from there, but it's very difficult to earmark your gift online - the default, even linking through IUCC, is for a general gift to IUPUI.
    Vinny (aka Frank)
    http://vinnysgotcancer.blogspot.com

left I/O 1/5/05; 95%EC / 5% mature teratoma; stage IIIC
    4x BEP 1/24/05 - 4/11/05; RPLND (left side) 5/31/05
    VATS resection of teratoma from left lung 4/26/06
    Presently surveilling

Vinny:
    I too received the solicitation, but mine was signed by Dr. Stephen Williams, my TC Oncologist and Director of the Indiana University Cancer Center. You and others might be interested to know that the I.U. Cancer Center also received a $50,000,000 donation earlier this week from Mel Simon, local real estate magnate and co-owner with his brother of the Indiana Pacers, and his wife Bren. This is very exciting times for the IU Foundation/Cancer Center and for all of us who hope to see cancer eradicated in our lifetime.
    Brian

Simons Give $50m for Cancer Center

(Indianapolis, IN) -- Indiana University's Medical Center is getting a major financial boost in its fight against cancer. Melvin and Bren Simon have announced plans to donate 50-million-dollars to the IU Cancer Center. University officials say half of the money will be used to create an endowment to recruit and retain cancer researchers, while the other half will be used to expand the IU Cancer Center located on the campus of Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis. Melvin Simon is one of the founders of Simon Property Group, an Indianapolis-based mall and retail development company. It owns or operates hundreds of properties in the United States and around the world.
    Brian, [email protected]
    left inguinal orchiectomy 9/21/2005 > seminoma, stage IIC 12cm x 12cm retroperitoneal mass> 3XBEP completed 11/30/2005 > residual 9cm x 7cm mass removed 3/29/06. All necrotic tissue found > Surveillance

Comment

I've received a couple of solicitations over the last year. Husband went through HDC/stem cell and other treatment after stem cell failure.

Definately donating because they ahve some pretty good studies going on right now.
      Wife of Kevin Murphy
      Diagnosed 7/16/04 100% Choriocarcinoma
      Oriechtomy 7/20/04
      4xBEP 8/04-11/04 BHCG:1200 (lung only)
      Rediagnosed 12/27/04 BHCG: 50
      1xVIP 1/05 (lung)
      HDC/Stem cell Indiana 2/05-4/05 BHCG: 51-4.5 (lung)
      HDC failure 5/05
      3xGemzar/Taxol 6/05-9/05 (lung only)
      VP-16 w/Avastin 9/05-1/06 (lung only)
      Cyberknife 5" lung tumor 2/06
      cyberknife 6 brain tumors 3/06
      1xOxaliplatnin 3/06 (liver, lungs, kidneys, left hip)
      Passed away 4/13/2006

Comment

Me too

They already have my left one, I owe them for cleaning up my vomit in the infusion center and we had cake for my birthday when I was hooked up. I'll never forget the doctors and nurses - one heck of an institution...I am sending what I can. Good luck all!
        Jim
        ------------------------
        Left I/O 4/21/05
        Stage IIA, Non Seminoma, 100% Embryonal
        BEP X3 - 07/11/2005 - 9/6/2005
        Surveillance - Negative CT, CXR & Markers
        I love my life!

Comment

Donations

We recv'd a soliciation to and are sending what we can. My husband recieved the best care he ever got there and we owe them for saving his life. I hope with the money they can continue to do for other families what they did for us.

Erin
          Erin (caregiver)
          Hubby Stage IIIC Diagnosed 10/27/05,
          HCG 512,000 AFP 636 LDH 1012, I&O 10/28/05
          1 x EP, 2 x VIP, then 2 x BEP (10/31/05-1/06)
          Sterotactic Radiation to two brain tumors 12/05
          Sterotactic Radiation to new brain tumor 4/4/06
          Whole brain radiation 4/15 -5/18/06
          Tandem High dose chemo and stem cell 6/5/06-7/31/06 - markers normalized
          RPLND with 9cm x 24 cm abd mass removal 9/14/06 - Only teratoma and necrotic tissue removed
          Currently on surveillance

Comment

Working...
          X