Marijuana Edibles & more TC risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana Edibles & more TC risk

Just finished my year 4 surveillance after 3xBEP after non seminoma germ cell in right t that was removed. Scans and tumor markers all blood work all look good. Under an extreme amount of stress and anxiety due to pretty much everything else in my life. In my 40s. Not healthy. Other health problems (cancer risky immunosuppressing meds and other risk factors). 10-15 lbs overweight. I hadn't been able to sleep more than an 1 or 2 hrs a night for the better part of last few weeks. So after my surveillance was done, I tried some Marijuana chocolates to help sleep for 4 days. I think I had roughly 60 mg of Marijuana/THC? all together over the course of 4 days. Then I googled tc risk and marijuana and stopped. The whole chocolate bar was 300 mg, I think. I'm not sure how that stuff works. There are multiple studies if you Google, especially a bunch of recent analyses. So basically I got through 4 years of surveillance and now I am terrified after reading that marijuana can cause the specific cancer I had, testicular non seminoma germ cell etc. The first two nights I barely felt anything but the last two I was able to sleep through the night and felt that high feeling. I hadn't used since trying it as a teen and never really felt high when I did. I wish I would've just taken some Benadryl in hindsight. How bad do you guys think I screwed up? Do you think it's possible I triggered new TC in my remaining testicle with 4 days in a row of relatively high dose edibles? Should I try and get new markers done in a couple of months just to be safe?
    Here are some links to what I found:
    Given current drug-policy reforms to decriminalize or legalize cannabis in numerous countries worldwide, it is critically important to understand the potential impacts of cannabis use on the development of cancer. The current study aims to assess the ...

The aetiology of testicular cancer remains elusive. In this manuscript, we review the evidence regarding the association between cannabis use and testicular cancer development.In this systematic review and meta-analysis, we reviewed literature published ...

This systematic review and meta-analysis assesses the association of marijuana use with the development of cancer in adults with at least 1 joint-year exposure (equivalent to 1 joint per day for 1 year).

Background The genotoxic and cancerogenic impacts of population-wide cannabinoid exposure remains an open but highly salient question. The present report examines these issues from a continuous bivariate perspective with subsequent reports continuing categorical and detailed analyses. Methods Age-standardized state census incidence of 28 cancer types (including “All (non-skin) Cancer”) was sourced using SEER*Stat software from Centres for Disease Control and National Cancer Institute across US states 2001–2017. It was joined with drug exposure data from the nationally representative National Survey of Drug Use and Health conducted annually by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration 2003–2017, response rate 74.1%. Cannabinoid data was from Federal seizure data. Income and ethnicity data sourced from the US Census Bureau. Data was processed in R. Results Nineteen thousand eight hundred seventy-seven age-standardized cancer rates were returned. Based on these rates and state populations this equated to 51,623,922 cancer cases over an aggregated population 2003–2017 of 124,896,418,350. Regression lines were charted for cancer-substance exposures for cigarettes, alcohol use disorder (AUD), cannabis, THC, cannabidiol, cannabichromene, cannabinol and cannabigerol. In this substance series positive trends were found for 14, 9, 6, 9, 12, 6, 9 and 7 cancers; with largest minimum E-Values (mEV) of 1.76 × 109, 4.67 × 108, 2.74 × 104, 4.72, 2.34 × 1018, 2.74 × 1017, 1.90 × 107, 5.05 × 109; and total sum of exponents of mEV of 34, 32, 13, 0, 103, 58, 25, 31 indicating that cannabidiol followed by cannabichromene are the most strongly implicated in environmental carcinogenesis. Breast cancer was associated with tobacco and all cannabinoids (from mEV = 3.53 × 109); “All Cancer” (non-skin) linked with cannabidiol (mEV = 1.43 × 1011); pediatric AML linked with cannabis (mEV = 19.61); testicular cancer linked with THC (mEV = 1.33). Cancers demonstrating elevated mEV in association with THC were: thyroid, liver, pancreas, AML, breast, oropharynx, CML, testis and kidney. Cancers demonstrating elevated mEV in relation to cannabidiol: prostate, bladder, ovary, all cancers, colorectum, Hodgkins, brain, Non-Hodgkins lymphoma, esophagus, breast and stomach. Conclusion Data suggest that cannabinoids including THC and cannabidiol are important community carcinogens exceeding the effects of tobacco or alcohol. Testicular, (prostatic) and ovarian tumours indicate mutagenic corruption of the germline in both sexes; pediatric tumourigenesis confirms transgenerational oncogenesis; quantitative criteria implying causality are fulfilled.

(Parts 2 and 3 are available online if you search for it, conclusions are all pretty scary)

I would not be concerned at all with your short-term use of cannabis affecting your testicular cancer or causing a relapse or new primary.

Yes, there are some studies showing an increase risk (specifically of nonseminoma, which is interesting) in those that have used cannabis but it was also more related to early age of use and length of use. None of the studies, to my knowledge, differentiated the vehicle for use (i.e. smoking flower vs. vape vs. oral ingestion).

I think what the current literature shows is that there is a possibility of cannabis causing an increased risk of nonseminoma and that for those that use it should reinforce the need for monthly self-exams.

For your situation, I would have zero concerns but would go about seeing how I can have my insomnia addressed because that is certainly going to affect quality of life long-term if you are not sleeping.

Mike
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Sorry I'm late to this discussion, but I agree with Mike 100%. 4 days is not enough exposure to cause a problem, I doubt even 4 months would be. There'd be a whole lot more of us here if it did.
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
      X