Clear All

• Chris'Mom
    replied
    Sounds like a plan for all of us...thanks...Mary Ellen

Leave a comment:

• dadmo
    replied
    Mary Ellen:
    The best thing Chris can do is watch his weight and get plenty of cardio exercise.
    Last edited by dadmo; 03-26-07, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris'Mom
    replied
    Is there any special testing that can be done regarding the heart disease...should that someday down the road be part of surveillance testing, having some kind of heart scan...Mary Ellen

Leave a comment:

• dadmo
    replied
    As long as you mentioned heart care everyone who received EP should take supplemental Potassium. Traces of cisplatin can be found in the body for up to 20 after chemo is finished and it's long term harmful effect is that it can leach potassium from your muscles.
    Last edited by dadmo; 03-25-07, 08:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Already Bald
    replied
    More concerned about heart disease

I went to Sloan-Kettering last week and met with MaryAnn Carousso, NP for Dr. Bosl who is the Chair of the Dept. of Medicine, and is the primary oncologist for TC.
    I told her I have a real concern about secondary malignancies associated with 4xEP. She said that Sloan never uses Bleo- EP is the standard protocal...
    She stressed that although the secondary cancer is a possibility, I have a higher chance of developing early heart disease, and no one knows why.
    She also said that I have ZERO control over developing a secondary cancer- however I absolutely can control and minimize the risk of heart disease.

And that is good news guys- keep your cholesterol and blood pressure at healthy levels, exercise and make good meal choices- and we are less likely to become a statistic.
    I plan to turn my cigar humidor into a jewlery box for my wife, and I filled my beer fridge with water and Gateraid. (I have a few Amstel Lights on the bottom shelf!)

Leave a comment:

• GM_Scotland
    replied
    Every Doctor I've asked has stated a chance of between 1 and 2%...of course it's a concern but these are good odds. Keep the chin up!

Leave a comment:

• Chris'Mom
    replied
    I agree Bill, we have to be proactive.....and what you are doing is that....you are a great role model....Mary Ellen

Leave a comment:

• dadmo
    replied
    That's why I fund raise for the Leukemia society. It helps my sons future prospecs, it helps your son and it makes me feel as if I'm doing something. I can't sit back and hope for someone else to do what needs to be done. I'm sure I'm not as smart as guys like Fed but I can help make sure he gets the funding required so that he can continue his work. We all have a role to play and all roles are important.
    Last edited by dadmo; 03-23-07, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris'Mom
    replied
    One more thought...if someone gets another cancer maybe 20 years down the line...hopefully we will have such advancements in treatment by then ...sorry, but I just have to live with that thought...how long has it been for Lance...since his cancer..Mary Ellen

Leave a comment:

• Chris'Mom
    replied
    Wow, I get so depressed when I read the posts about Luekemia, and all the other cancers my son could get from chemo. But then, thanks Robert, for a more positive spin...our Dr. also told us less than 1%, so I have to live with that so that when I look at Chris I am thankful and not fearful. I believe I read the first man treated by Dr. Einhorn, who was dying and was given chemo, is still healthy and going strong 20 or 25 years later. I don't want to worry and 30 years down the road Chris is doing great. I just can't live in fear, I would rather I get something than my young son, who has so much to live for. I guess we must live for today...Mary Ellen

Leave a comment:

• djmac
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert2112
    I walked into the old country drugstore, and the Pharmacist/owner came up to me and said he had Tc when he 21. He had chemo. Not sure which kind, but I will ask him next time I see him. He is a very healthy man at 70 right now.
    If he had chemo 49 years ago, he essentially got what amounted to mustard gas. Chemo has gotten so much better now. Yeah, I think modern chemo can be brutal on someones body, but it's only administered today for 2-3 months. Back in the day, it was administered for 2 years, even in the adjuvant setting!!!

I seem to remember a story about some guy who had stage III testicular cancer and then got chemo, and then won some grueling event, or something, all after chemo and with only one nut. Maybe won even more than once... like seven.

djm

Leave a comment:

• Neil K
    replied
    Originally posted by mstlyn
    The rash has been there the entire two years?

You say they "think" it may be. I pray that they are wrong ...

Have they said if its possible that it is anything else?
    The rash has been there the full 2 years, They think its Mycosis Fungiodes (not a fungus like name suggests) which is a type of T-cell lympoma. VERY hard to diagnos, Biopsies every year. takes up to seven years at times to get a positive. Looks much like ezema, and therefore often mistaken as such. treatments are chemo, radiation therapy, photodynamic therapy. It seems difficult to understand how I could have 2 unrelated cancers all before the age of 30. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before.

Leave a comment:

• dadmo
    replied
    Nancy and I don't cry as often as we used to especially since we have turned our fear into action. It a great release and helps secure some future for my son and by extension everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• mstlyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil K
    Hello, I was diagnosed (luckily, despite family doctor incompetence) with stage 3 non-seminoma about ten years ago. They removed the left testicle and I had chemo (cisplatin,etoposide,bleomycin). all signs of cancer disappeared after chemo, no need for scar tissue removal. Even had 3 kids naturally! some minor side effects come and go, such as a tingle in the left hand, etc, etc, ANYHOW, I had a "rash" appear on my left hip 2 years ago. I thought it was ezema and went to a dermitoligist and they think it may be a form of T-cell Lymphoma. A biopsy was done every year and they come back as negative so far, BUT I am told that it could take up to 7 years to get a positive. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I know that there are some forms of secondary malagnancies such as Leukemia. Could it be from the T.C or is it just a fluke that I may have a second form of cancer?
    The rash has been there the entire two years?

You say they "think" it may be. I pray that they are wrong ...

Have they said if its possible that it is anything else?

Leave a comment:

• mstlyn
    replied
    Dadmo, Im scared for mine too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡