X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jennys
    replied
    Hi Emily,

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go thru this fight again, yet as u can see from the responses that you have received, you have found the best support site imagineable.....I pray that all goes well for you both (and I am sure it will because you seem like an amazingly strong person) and know that we are all praying for you here

Take care and all the best
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• Chris'Mom
    replied
    Emily, just read your posts....when I think of how young you and your husband are to have this fight as a couple, my heart breaks...stay strong and take every day one at a time.....you will get thru this....and be stronger for it....Mary Ellen

Leave a comment:

• Margaret
    replied
    Emily, you must be so scared, I wish I could say something to make you feel better. You sound like a fighter and so does your husband. I am sending my prayers for you and lots of hugs. If you need to talk, I can send you my phone number. The lord is amazing and there are lots of people pulling for you.

Margaret

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    replied
    Emily,
    I am glad you're home with Wheeler (I just assumed "Alex" from your screen name...sorry!!!). The post from CharliesAngel sounds very encouraging and I so glad she reached out to you! The power of love is amazing, and you are doing a fantastic job of caring for your husband. Stay strong and keep us posted!
    Karen

Leave a comment:

• emilyalex
    replied
    Thank you all so much for your replies, your concern and support. This has been such a tough week and I know I couldn't have gotten through it without your support. You can explain all of this family, friends and co-workers, but no one can really understand what it is like unless they have been there.

Wheeler, my husband, was released from the hospital late Friday evening and has had two radiation treatments so far. I'm still very worried, as occasionally it seems as if he has brain damage. The doctor told us she was "optimistic" and that supposedly his lack of coordination and slurred speech would get better with radiation. Hopefully I'm not imagining this, but he does seem better today. He requires a lot of supervision, with his balance being so off, so I have to help him do everything. Poor man hasn't gone to the bathroom or showered alone in weeks.

We are going to have blood taken for markers tomorrow, but the doctor's office sends labs out to Quest, so it will probably be Wednesday before I get them back. I'm almost afraid to get them now. As of last week his HCG was still normal, but since we keep getting bad news, I'm afraid now that one will go up, too. I am really, really trying to stay strong. Some days it is easier than others. His family can't help much in taking care of him and I don't have family in town, so I have a lot of responsibility. But I will do absolutely anything to help him and I am determined. It's amazing what you can make yourself do when you love someone as much as I love him.

CharliesAngel, thanks for registering and sharing your story. It is a tremendous help to know that this can be overcome. And Scott, Patti, Pete, Sharon, Lori, Dadmo, Domaque, AlreadyBald, Karen - thank you all for responding. We both appreciate your support.

Emily

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    I just wanted to say welcome, CharliesAngel, and thank you for sharing your story. What a shock it must have been to have a recurrence after so many years! It clearly demonstrates the importance of lifelong follow-up. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Leave a comment:

• CharliesAngel
    replied
    devastating news

Emily, I read your message and immediately decided I must register so I can tell you my husband's story. First of all, I am an Oncology nurse and I have been in practice for 24 years. My husband was first diagnosed with TC in 1983 and after all the surgeries and chemo, he went into remission. Everything was well until October last year (around the same time your husband was diagnosed) when we learned that his cancer has recurred after 22 years of being disease free! To make a long story short, he had HDC with 4 cycles of TIP and we were all hopeful that he will once again win over this awful disease. My husband had very high tumor markers and extensive lung mets but this did not discourage me because I had faith in God and in his wonderful doctors ( Dr. Robert Fein in New Brunswick & Dr. Bajorin @ MSKCC in NY). Well, by the end of the last cycle, his tumor markers that had fallen dramatically during treatment, had started an upward swing again. I couldn't figure out what happened. How could the chemo be working so well and then suddenly not work anymore? The doctors thought about a stem cell transplant but decided against it in the end for various reasons. We were left with no other option but to consider enrolling in a Phase 2 Clinical Trial. Then, it was discovered in a routine MRI that he had a tiny 6 mm lesion in the brain. 15 days of RT later, a repeat MRI showed the lesion is gone and guess what -- his HCG, AFP and LDH are all normal! I guess my point is, you are not "just grasping". There's a very big chance that it IS the brain tumors that caused your husband's markers to rise. You see, chemotherapy usually does not cross the blood-brain barrier so these brain tumors are happily growing while the cancer cells in the rest of your husband's body are getting killed off. The good news is, radiation is a very effective tool and with God's help, your husband can still come out of this a winner. Be strong, Emily and talk to God. I don't know what your religion is or even if you have any, but I am a strong believer in the power of prayer and I know He is always there to help us if we turn to Him. Always think positive and you'll see how much better you'll feel and your husband will feel that positive energy, too.

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    replied
    Emily,
    You and Alex are in my thoughts daily. I'm hoping the RT is helping Alex and you are holding up OK.
    Karen

Leave a comment:

• Hopeful
    replied
    Emily

What's going on with the radiation? How's everything going?

We're here to help you and provide information, support and everything else for both you and Alex.

Hang in there. There's a few of us out here who understand what you're going through and can help with anything you need.
    Patti

Leave a comment:

• petep
    replied
    emily,

I am sorry to learn about your news. You and your husband are in our thoughts & prayers. Take each day as it comes, and focus on the treatments for now. You are doing all you can do.

pete

Leave a comment:

• Russell's Mom
    replied
    with you

I'm glad that you shared. The days cannot be more difficult. Lean on the support systems that are in the hospital. Stay conscious of what is most important to you and your husband. Discard the unnessary extras and create un-interupted time for gathering your thoughts and feelings. My hopes and prayers are for guidance without confusion and clear thinking for you and your husband/family. Take care, Russell's Mom, Sharon

Leave a comment:

• Lori
    replied
    Emily, I'm sorry you and your husband have to continue fighting this battle, but it sounds like you still have it in you to fight a good one. Please always keep hope alive - radiation can work!

My thoughts are with you and please keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• Already Bald
    replied
    Emily,
    I have faith that things will work out. I am so sorry to hear about your struggle. Please keep us posted.

LiveSTRONG

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    replied
    Emily,
    I am so sorry. You have been, and continue to be, a strong advocate for your husband. You need to vent your feelings. You and Alex are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Karen

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Emily, I'm so sorry. Of course you need to vent -- please feel free. Let's keep up hope in the radiation treatment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎