don't know who to go to anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't know who to go to anymore

I go to my oncoligist and tell him I have swelling on my left side of collar bone and neck he looks at it and says "you had that last time you were here.
    I ask him what it is he tells me he dosn't know. I go to my urologist he checks my psa #s and tell me it is high, I don't know if I need the biospy he is planning to do next week or if he just wants to make money.psa is a 4.2 slightly high I think they could watch the numbers why start with a biospy they might miss any cancer anyway if they take the biospy where there isn't any cancer. my cancer#s are normal hcg normal that dosn't count for prostrate cancer? My oncoligist keeps telling me your numbers are normal
    I tell him I have muscle pain in my arms and legs pain in the center of my chest esophogust problems(blood work is normal) is his anwser. pain under my arm pit he feels under my arm pit and says it's ok I ask him when are you going to do another ct scan it's been about 1 year he tells me blood work is normal.
    I go to my regular doctor he sent me to a cardoilogist for a bunch of test on my heart everyting ok there , but can not get any answers on the neck swelling, muscle pain Iv'e been to about 7 different doctors, imageine if I had chemo, what a mess I would be in!

Tom, sounds like you are in a tight spot. Emotionally cancer takes such a terrible toll on everyone, and some of what you are feeling is normal physical concerns for your well-being..and some of it may be emotional trauma from facing such a scary thing such as cancer. Maybe you could make an appt. with your ono. and explain all of these concerns and ask his advice. You could at the same time, seek out some professional care to help emotionally get you back on track so that the worry of health problems does not plauge you the rest of your life. We are all so quick to seek medical attention when something hurts...but when our hearts and emotions are suffering, we sit alone and do nothing. I hope you don't mind my candor, I am just trying to help. But I think seeing a doctor and getting these medical questions answered (with careful attention being paid to your PSA) and also getting into see someone who can help you deal with your health fears would be a great combination. Stress can cause many physical problems too. So getting this stress under control may help ease your burden a bit.

I am hear if you need someone to talk to. I can relate....promise!

Hugs and best wishes,

Margaret
    Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
    Current DVT
    Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Thanks Margeret:
      You are right but when your neck swells and no one knows why it makes your mind start thinkng about cancer. I know stress can make my neck swell, people don't know how much stress really can effect them.
      Called my oncoligist today he is goig to send me for ct scans: he called sloan kettering Dr sheinfield for advice on what my next course of action will be.
      I had a benign tertoma removed 3 weeks ago my tumor markers are normal.
      I guess going to the uroligost and being told my psa was high and that I could have prostrate cancer on top of the tc cancer and having to go for a biospy on the 18th may be giving added stress.
      Thanks again for your thoughs

Comment

I am so glad you are getting things checked out. The real battle can be with your own mind...when they tell you everything is okay (((prayers that they will be))) will your mind start playing tricks on you again? The mind is powerful.

I know I have said it hear before, but you may not have seen it, but After Boyce was told about his cancer, my body started breaking down. So 6 days after we got the news I went to the doctor. They checked me from head to toe and said "nothing is wrong" to which I replied "how can nothing be wrong with me when everything hurts?!!!", so I know the feeling. Get all of you better so you can enjoy life.
        Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
        Current DVT

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

hey robert

Dadmo his wife, Danny and myself all attended a TC support group this week. We talk about it on the 'Educational Support Group' thread and spoke today about the need to make this group meet more then bi- or tri- monthly. I believe Nancy is going to call Sloan and request this as will I before the week is done.

Tom, hang in there. Doctors can drive you nuts. But they can also save your life. Still, I'd like to slap one every once in a while!

take care,
          michael

Comment

Originally posted by Robert2112
            I say this all the time, and I don't think I have ever heard anyone from this forum that has done it.

I strongly urge anyone that has this level of anxiety after cancer, to see a live, in person cancer support group. A survivors group if you have finished treatment recently. You will discover very quickly how much they help.
            Great advice Robert. We must heal or mind and our hearts while we repair our bodies.
            Current DVT

Comment

You have to keep after doctors they say they only have 10miniutes to spend with each person, get them in and get them out, alot of times I try to tell them something and they just keep talking say what they have too say and then leave the room, can,t get a word in edge wise. I have valium I take when my anexiety gets bad it seem to help. I am going to get a positive attitude wheather I like it or not I am too negitive all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert2112
                I say this all the time, and I don't think I have ever heard anyone from this forum that has done it.

I strongly urge anyone that has this level of anxiety after cancer, to see a live, in person cancer support group. A survivors group if you have finished treatment recently. You will discover very quickly how much they help.
                Good advice. I see a Dr. as well as a counselor for grief (unrelated)and anxiety. Nothing wrong with getting some help. Tim
                Stage 3 seminoma w/intratubular Germ/ embryonal carcinoma in lymph/ pulmonary metastases
                I/O 7/2/03
                BEPx4
                Surveillance since 10/31/03

Comment

Originally posted by tom c
                  You have to keep after doctors they say they only have 10miniutes to spend with each person, get them in and get them out, alot of times I try to tell them something and they just keep talking say what they have too say and then leave the room, can,t get a word in edge wise. I have valium I take when my anexiety gets bad it seem to help. I am going to get a positive attitude wheather I like it or not I am too negitive all the time.
                  Please don't force yourself to 'have a positive attitude all the time'...YOU have been through a lot, it is okay to feel blue about it, nervous about it, scared and upset. That is very normal. Allow yourself time to feel all of these things, grieve if you need to, cry if you need to, heck punch something. Keeping your emotions in the pit of your stomach because you feel you must be positive will only work in the short term. Get it all out of your system and reach out for help. A support group is a great way to go through these steps and find peace with all of it. Talk it out with others who have gone through all the same things...I promise it will help.

Wishing you great speed in healing
                  Current DVT

Comment

Ok I have a biospy of the prostrate, ct scan of chest, pelvis and stomach, pet scan all in the next two weeks, hoping everything will be ok and just waiting for this part of my tc adventure too be over. I'm getting tired of all the needles and all of the test.I guess the rest of my life I will be getting test so I better get use to it I'm not 20 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tom c
                      Ok I have a biospy of the prostrate, ct scan of chest, pelvis and stomach, pet scan all in the next two weeks, hoping everything will be ok and just waiting for this part of my tc adventure too be over. I'm getting tired of all the needles and all of the test.I guess the rest of my life I will be getting test so I better get use to it I'm not 20 anymore.
                      The trick will be when all these tests are over, will you feel at ease. If the answer is yes, then wonderful...but if after all these tests these issues and fears are still haunting you....then go in for some emotional healing. Then everything will be fixed and you will feel like a new man.
                      Current DVT

Comment

tom c,
                        It'll give you peace of mind to get the tests done. Anxiety is horrible....and cam be overcome. We're here for you whenever you need to vent!
                        Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

It,s good to vent sometimes, everything starts too build up and then I get
                          stressed out, I have a twin brother and he is homeless he lives in a shelter with some really low lifes this adds too my stress he was in a car crash in his 20s hit the windsheld and had brain damage now he can't keep a job. I need to find a way too make his life better. I feel better today and when I have the test done and get the results I'm sure I will be fine.
                          Thanks everyone for your advice.

Comment

It's essential to vent, and we will always listen.
                            Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

I received my results of my ct and pet scans all negitive The doctor still wants to se me to talk about what is next. He made it sound urgent he wanted me to make an appointment asap with in the next two weeks , I have an appointment on Aug. 13th. I guess because of the begin tertoma I had removed he must want me to have blood work more often? Prostrate results are in but I have to keep my appointment to find out the results,won't tell me over the phone. I think they want the money for the office visit. Still having some problems, anexiety,pain in my left leg and a nerve near my left hip hurts
                              if I rub my skin on my left butt I get a pain that goes up my back, Anyway
                              just happy about my negitive ct results. I feel I am a very lucky person I know The fear of it coming back will always be there but my heart sadens for those with very real problems on this site I feel there pain and wonder if there is a god, why does he put people threw such suffering and for there family members I know what they are going threw I can tell by how my family members try too deal with it and how I felt when my dad died of lung and bladder cancer, watching them deterioate and get worse is a horrible thing to go through. .
                              Last edited by tom c; 07-26-07, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X