My Total Testosterone Level's??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Total Testosterone Level's??

I decided to ask my Oncologist to get a Testosterone Test when I read some stories on these forums 2 years ago.At age 35, 5 years after TC my level was at or between 227-238.I now know that a normal 100 year old man has an average of close to 500.My question is when the Doctor told me the test results, would he have given it to me by the standard deviation The standard deviation for my age is 212 from a chart that I just came across today Im wondering if that 227-238 level is what the Doctor possibly would have told me that my Total Testosterone was but he used the standard deviation Im awaiting my 2nd test now.I do at most times feel like a 100 year old man with fatigue,depression,weight gain,muscle weakness,severe anxiety,bad back,arthritis.
    Last edited by R50; 09-13-07, 08:20 PM. Reason: change words

Originally posted by R50
    I now know that a normal 100 year old man has an average of close to 500.
    Oh, I don't think so. What's the source of that statistic?
    Scott, [email protected]
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

http://www.natural-hrt.com/andropause04.html I think I found it through this board on one of the links.It was actually a 376 level for men age 85-100 which would still be higher then mine.I don't know what the standard deviation means.I still am waiting for my test results.

Comment

The standard deviation is a measure of how much variability there is in the data. In this case, it shows there's a wide range of normal measurements.
        Scott, [email protected]
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Well I guess that means I should for my age have a number closer to 668 from what the chart says.Under 250 just seems much lower then other guys that have had TC.I understand 1 Test does not say it all.Hopefully this time my Total testosterone is above 300, or then it looks like I might be one of the guys who have had TC that needs HRT.

Comment

If the chart is correct, 68% of men in the sample tested who were between ages 35 and 44 had a total testosterone level between 456 and 880 ng/dL; 95%, between 244 and 1,092 ng/dL.
            Last edited by Scott; 09-13-07, 11:18 PM.
            Scott, [email protected]

Comment

The last time i went back to the Oncologist was 2005.I have not been to the Doctor's since.Just last week I made a regular Doctor's appointment to get some Blood work done.i was also worried about a possible thyroid condition.In the winter time I was freezing with the heat on 75 with a winter coat on and a hat.I moved away from where my Oncologist is now.I know its not right to not get checked every 6 month's to a year, but I felt after 4-7 years something else was going on in my body that was probably related to the low hormone levels.I don't even think all Endocrinologist's treat guys with very low Testosterone Level's especially TC guy's because I think these Doctor's have this belief that having 1 teste is enough.I may be wrong about that because I have yet to go to an Endo just yet. Hopefully when my new test comes back it will be closer to normal or at least over 400 and not in the 200's.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                If the chart is correct, 68% of men in the sample tested who were between ages 35 and 44 had a total testosterone level between 456 and 880 ng/dL; 95%, between 244 and 1,092 ng/dL.
                Darn,so if my first Test is accurate whether it was 227 or 237 I would be the less then 5% that have the lowest level's of Total testosterone for my age.Not looking good if my test comes in tomorrow below 250 again. I should have asked to get all the various Tests done but I thought the Doctor would have known.
                Last edited by Scott; 09-13-07, 11:19 PM. Reason: corrected my percentage for one standard deviation from the mean

Comment

From reading previous threads going to see a Endocrinoligist is no answer for a TC patient with low testosterone because they don't care about TC patients.Meaning that they are not likely even if they did all the tests and even if they all showed much lower level's of testosterone they still wouldn't prescribe a thing.Thats sad if thats true.I guess there answer is you got TC Cancer so suffer more.Im not sure about this in Endo's but some previous threads hint that the majority won't help a male TC survivor.Hopefully my test comes back normal so I won't have to think of what credible Endo's are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by R50
                    Thats sad if thats true.
                    I don't believe it is true.
                    Scott, [email protected]

Comment

Hopefully today I will get my Test back so I don't have to worry about what Endocrinoligist is helpfull or not.Its good to hear that some Endocrinologist's will help us TC patient's.We shouldn't have to go to Anti Aging clinic's because some guys think thats the only way to get treated.I read that in a earlier posted thread.Thats good to hear but I do think every individual Endocrinologist is different and I would hate to keep switching Doctor's because with my Insurance I have to pay 100% out of pocket for any Doctor.

Comment

I was always under the impression for years that a TC patient that gets cancer in just 1 Testicle doesn't need HRT.At the time the Surgeon,Doctor and Oncologist never even brought the topic up to me.I researched it on this great site and questioned my Oncologist, and I finally got a Total Testosterone Test done after 5 years.Next week it looks like a will get back my 2nd T Test.im worried about Osteoporosis and Heart problem's.I can't even work now because my Back is always hurting me.I have Arthritis almost everywhere as well.

Comment

Originally posted by R50
                          I was always under the impression for years that a TC patient that gets cancer in just 1 Testicle doesn't need HRT.
                          While that's true for some, it's clearly not the case for everyone. I agree with you that this issue deserves more attention and understanding whether hormone replacement is needed should be a standard part of the program for all testicular cancer survivors.
                          Scott, [email protected]

Comment

One of the things that is hard to distinguish is that we all age.I had TC at age 30 and Im almost 38 now.I wonder how much of the fatigue and other symptom's are related to age or Testosterone.One thing about me is that I had Lyme's disease at age 20 and felt really bad for about 3 year's.i felt like I had the Flu for 3 straight years.I had terrible Arthritis and panic attack's from that.The Lyme's Disease I had is by far the worst thing I ever got sick from in my life.That scare's me more then a possible relapse of TC.That may sound stupid but I was so sick from that.I had a heart murmur also. Anxiety I always had but Depression,Fatigue, unexplained weight gain is what bothers me.Now with the Arthritis or Bone pain its like I got a Double whammy with Lyme's at 20 and TC at 30.I wish the Doctor's would have known to check my T level's before and after my operation and Chemo.It was only through this site that I asked my Oncologist for a T Test to see if I was defficient.I went to a regular Doctor to get another T Test done this week.Doctor called me today and couldn't find my name in the computer for the blood work.I have to worry if they lost my blood results now.Nothing comes easy for me thats why i dread having to go to a Endo because i don't know what to expect.Hopefully i will get a result next week.I do know that TC may be more dangerous then Lyme's disease but i don't think I could survive, if i ever got Lyme's disease again.

Comment

2 things which I want to get across is that lab results dont mean much compared to how you feel, and endos are not all that great when it comes to TRT.
                              Aged 23 ;; 09/06 left I/O ;; Markers normal ;; 100% Seminoma Stage 1. ;; 10x8x16mm & 7x7x8mm ;; rete testis invasion. ;; no vascular invasion. ;; surveillance. ;; HRT.

Comment

Working...
                              X