Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To keep or not to keep?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To keep or not to keep?



    Hello all, I am new to the Forum, I hope you don 't mind me taking the liberty of starting a new thread. I was recently diagnosed with TC two weeks ago. I went to see the urologist on Thurs and "Pancho" was removed on friday. I was also told that "Lefty" would have to go too being that there was a tumor and many microlithiasis. I had coped with the idea of lossing "Pancho and Lefty" and even with the eventual radiation therapy and testosterone replacement therapy, but decided to get a second opinion anyway. (Two testicles, two doctors, right) The second doctor told me that he considers a partial orhiectomy an option, and contray to the first doctor, he doesn't think that it is inevitable that another tumor would develop if some of "Lefty" stuck around.

    I am confused, anxious, and on a time crunch. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow. (I thought the doctors would concure).

    Does anyone have any advice? Anyone have any experience with partial orchiectomies? Is "Lefty doomed to ride in to the sunset never to be seen again? Log on and make your vote today, PLEASE.

    Thanks all,

    Cruz

    P.S. The cancer on "Pancho" was pure seminoma, so that's a plus.

    P.P.S. The names of the testicles involved have been changed for their protections.

    P.P.P.S. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I find humor takes the edge off, and I'm a bit edgy right now.

    PPPPS Sorry about all the PSing.
    5
    Yes
    20.00%
    1
    No
    80.00%
    4
    Maybe
    0.00%
    0

    The poll is expired.

    TC2er: Right Radical Orchiectomy 2-17-06, Diagnosed Stage I seminoma 2-24-06, L Radical Orchiectomy 3-3-06,Pathology Pending.

  • #2
    Hi Cruz.

    Keep your humor going!
    I did - and do - use it to get by.

    Regarding your situation I think it's a tough call. There are guys here that have been though it though, I'm sure they will give you good advice soon.

    Knowledge and humor are two very important ingredients to get through treatment for TC. There will be sadness, frustration and anger along the road, but at the end of the journey, you will fell good knowing that it didn't stop you being alive and kicking!

    best wishes
    Jens
    Embryonal carcinoma, stage II,
    3 x BEP, apr - june 2005
    Surveillance

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome to the forums!!!! Humor is always welcome when done tastefully as you have done.. Sorry to see you in such a tough spot.. I would have a 3rd opinion from one of the doctors listed here www.tcrc.acor.org/experts.html You can afford to wait a couple more days seeing such a large decision needs to be made... I have heard of a few people having partial I/O successfully!!!! Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do and please keep us posted with your results!!!!!!

      PS Where are you being treated????

      PPS I hope both doctors giving you these treatment options are well trained in TC

      PPPS GO LONGHORNS!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by Don; 03-02-06, 06:36 PM.
      Moffitt Cancer Institute
      CANCER SUCKS
      Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

      Comment


      • #4
        Whoop

        I'm being treated in College Station, by my HMO, Scott & White. Neither doctor is on the experts list, but then again, there are none in Texas that I have seen. Both doctors seem fairly competent, although I think I am putting a little more faith on the knowledge of the first, mostly because he was more determined to make his point. They both seem to have had several TC cases, but I don't know if I can call them experts.

        Thanks for the imput so far.

        -Cruz

        P.S. Go Aggies!! A friendly little Texas TC competition never hurt anyone.
        TC2er: Right Radical Orchiectomy 2-17-06, Diagnosed Stage I seminoma 2-24-06, L Radical Orchiectomy 3-3-06,Pathology Pending.

        Comment


        • #5
          It may be worth your while to at least do a phone consultation with DR. Einhorn or Foster at Indiana U or Sheinfeld @ Sloan before you have this operation done.. They would be more than happy to look at your films and give you another opinion.. It may be worth making the phone call!!!!
          Moffitt Cancer Institute
          CANCER SUCKS
          Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe you could try MD Anderson in Texas!!!!
            Moffitt Cancer Institute
            CANCER SUCKS
            Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

            Comment


            • #7
              I would say definitely get an opinion from an expert -- preferablly einhorn, foster or sheinfeld. This is too important. I would say even if you have to fly out of state it would be worth it. Once the operation is done there is no undoing it and a few days should not matter.

              Comment


              • #8
                My Story - should help in your decision

                I just lost my lefty after pancho on Thursday.... I went through the partial and all. here is my story.....

                I had bilateral seminoma with the first coming out in December 2005. I had a total removal on the right and a partial on the left at that time, but the pathology reports had some doubt about getting it all.

                My urologist thought that if there were microscopic traces this could be stamped out with chemotherapy. However, I visited an oncologist and he indicated that if there is residual cancer in the testicle the chemothereapy would not get in there to reach the cancer cells. And of course if you radiate the testical, it will kill it.

                My case was presented to the Tumor Board at Mission Hospital here in Orange County, CA and the consensus was that the second testicle on which a partial was attempted also had to come out. I suspected this after reading Huckchef's story (you are about 6 months ahead of me for similar circumstances).

                Knowing the HRT was in the cards with a removal of the second, I sought out a second opinion. I went right to the top, I set up an appointment with Dr. Donald Skinner, the chairman of the urology department at USC Medical School and a top national testicular cancer expert. Not only did he review my medical records, but he presented my case in detail at Grand Rounds at USC Medical Center. I felt so fortunate to have so many medical experts weigh in with an opinion on my case. Their recommendations were to go forward with the radical orchiectomy on the remaining testicle, confirm pure seminoma by having my original pathology slides sent to the Norris Cancer Center at USC for a second opinion, and to follow up (if pure seminoma) with radiation. Dr. Skinner does not believe in the efficacy of carboplatinen for adjuvant therapy for seminoma versus radiation.

                So, I had surgery yesterday and am sitting here feeling a lot better than the first surgery. My wife got my Rx for Androgel this am (5mg) and I put it on my shoulders.... so I will see, the HRT makes me a bit nervous, but if the gel works that would be so cool, cause it seems fairly simple.

                I feel very fortunate about all that has happened and would be more than happy to help anyone have a similar positive experience. I also am a health insurance consultant if anyone would like some advice navigating the healthcare system.

                Thanks to all of you for your input and valuable information in this forum!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Now or never

                  After extensive surveying (all 4 who replied) and even more extensive research, I have decided to continue as planned and opt for the full radical orchiectomy. I will be going into surgery at 10:45 am Tomorrow (Friday the 3rd of March) Centeral standard time.

                  I would like to thank all that replied. Your suggestions and comments are always invaluable (except for that go Longhorns comment ) I well see you all on the other side. I now have to go and write a lab report on Fusarium Stalk Rot of Corn that is due tomorrow by 5:00pm. I will be up most the night. I'll be asleep most of tomorrow anyway.

                  Laters all,

                  Cruz

                  "No day but today" -Rent
                  TC2er: Right Radical Orchiectomy 2-17-06, Diagnosed Stage I seminoma 2-24-06, L Radical Orchiectomy 3-3-06,Pathology Pending.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sorry I missed the poll, and I hope all went well with your surgery and that you'll check in again as soon as possible.
                    Scott
                    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

                    Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X