similar but different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• similar but different

i began having some aches in my lower abdomen on the left side....almost like a pull muscle feeling. not really a dull throbbing ache like before when first diagnosed. my tumor markers on the 21st of feb. were clear and i'm not due for scan until early may. i had started back doing crunches after my workouts around the same time this started. i thought it was just strained but i quit the crunches and it hasnt subsided in a couple of weeks. should i get a scan set up soon? i know in semimona cases the tumor markers may not be elevated but my last scan in dec was clear and could a tumor grow that fast to start having pains again? i may be blowing this out of proportion but i dont know!!! any thoughts?
    Last edited by huckchef; 03-06-06, 12:58 PM.
    diagnosed 01/15/2005 bi-lateral seminoma stage IIa,4cm lymph node, right I/O & partial left I/O mar/2005, 18 days of radiation, remaining left I/O- aug/2005, surveillance, Wife did IVF oct/2005, DAD OF BABY GIRL born 08-02-2006!!! testosterone implants May 2008

Hey Brian:

The reading I did on seminoma indicated that it was extremely rare for tumors to recurr within the radiation field. Is you ache in an area that was radiated?
    It could just be an everyday ache/pain. But I sympathize, everytime I have a new pain, I'm convinced it a recurrence. I guess that's human nature. If it keeps bothering you, I'd get it checked, but chances are you're fine.

Best wishes,

Jim
    Fish
    TC1
    Right I/O 4/22/1988
    RPLND 6/20/1988
    TC2
    Left I/O 9/17/2003
    Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

i think the area of radiation was concentrated on the single lymph node which was just right and up from my belly button. this pain is left and goes from the lower belt line to upper belt line but further left from the radiated area. i know there are some areas that get radiated by excess but i dont think this is close enough...maybe. i was just concerned more with the fact that after my radiation i still had partial lefty which the tumor was removed and later the whole testical but i was thinking that some spread may occured after the radiation for the lymph node from the first I/O. i may be over exagerating this but i dont know if i can wait till may! the worry may get to me by then! i just hate to start everytime i have a pain go get checked but it was a gut feeling that started this whole ordeal. thats what i cant shake!!
      diagnosed 01/15/2005 bi-lateral seminoma stage IIa,4cm lymph node, right I/O & partial left I/O mar/2005, 18 days of radiation, remaining left I/O- aug/2005, surveillance, Wife did IVF oct/2005, DAD OF BABY GIRL born 08-02-2006!!! testosterone implants May 2008

Comment

I know what you mean about getting checked out every time you have a pain, but living in a constant state of worry is hell. Considering that seminoma grows slowly compared to other TC types, it would seem unusual that a tumor could have gotten big enough to cause pain when you DEC scans were clear. But you know, to get peace of mind, why not go ahead and bug the doctor, that's why we pay them. Also being so stressed is not healthy either.

Sending you prayers and good wishes,

Jim
        Fish
        TC1
        Right I/O 4/22/1988
        RPLND 6/20/1988
        TC2
        Left I/O 9/17/2003
        Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

You could have some scar tissue from the radiation that is causing a pulling type pain. Whatever is causing it, no use adding mental anguish to the mix so I'll chime in with Jim to call your doc and get it checked out. My thoughts are with you that it turns out to be nothing at all...

Karen
          Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

i spoke with my onc yesterday and she said lets do a scan! i was thinking the same thing but i needed to hear from someone else to go ahead and be sure! i'm praying that its nothing but i want to be sure. i hope to hear today when my scan is set for!! i'll let you know asap!thanks for the encouragement1

Comment

I'm praying with you!!
              Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Good for you, and good for your doctor for being so receptive AND for understanding how stressed this has made you.

I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Jim
                Fish
                TC1
                Right I/O 4/22/1988
                RPLND 6/20/1988
                TC2
                Left I/O 9/17/2003
                Surveillance

Comment

Originally posted by huckchef
                  i spoke with my onc yesterday and she said lets do a scan! i was thinking the same thing but i needed to hear from someone else to go ahead and be sure! i'm praying that its nothing but i want to be sure. i hope to hear today when my scan is set for!! i'll let you know asap!thanks for the encouragement1
                  Is is good for your nerves to have a scan but I don't believe Seminoma can make pain in such a short time. I have for months problems with pain on the side of surgery. Pain goes from lower abdomen sometimes to chests and then sometimes dissapear. I was afraid first also but it looks like this is something we must live with it.

I hope scan will go well for you.
                  Seminoma I. stage ,May 2004,Si Deus pro nobis quis contra nos

Comment

I have had bilateral seminoma as well and have been very worried about it spreading. While my first CT scan was clear and all the pathology looked good, I find that it is some work to get to a peace of mind about things not having spread..... logic helps, and of course faith does to. The point of seminoma not spreading quickly I have read also. My oncologist thinks I had it for 5 plus years and it had not spread out of the testicles. So, I took some comfort in the seminoma. I then started reading that the cancer cells can be mixed... seminoma with some bad rapid spreading stuff. That's when I went to the pathology department of the hospital I was treated at and had them Fed x the pathology slides to the Norris Cancer Center at USC for a second opinion and to confirm seminoma.... Thank God I hear on Monday that they confirmed it was pure seminoma and I am feeling releived. Just a thought that if you want to get a second opinion on your original pathology you could do it.

I often feel tweaks, creaks and pains and wonder..... I still have to get radiation if I want it, or survellience..... but I will be going for radiation and the peace of mind.

You are smart to go for the CT scan again. I am saying a genuine prayer for you right now while I write this, for your peace of mind and a clear scan!!

God Bless,

Comment

I know how you feel

I have had a pain in my right side since January. It has gradually got worse until in the last week, it has gone from dull ache to sharp pain. I knw that once you have cancer, pains are never just pains anymore, you worry about all of them. I have told onco and my primary doc about pain and they did not do anything. I have appt. with onco friday and hopefully, he will get a scan. I have only had pet scans and i had a supposedly false positive in January, but i am wondering if it really was false. I was diagnosed in 8/05 and to make things more complicated, my path showed sertoli, so who knows what that will bring. I have tried to rely on faith and i guess that is all we can do, since so much of this is out of our control. it seems like a cruel joke sometimes, but i know God is in control. My prayers go out to you since I know the feeling exactly. Let us know what doc finds and I will do the same.

Comment

i cant express enough how much reading these post mean to me!!! it truly touches my heart! i will go for scan on tuesday at 9:00. i spoke with my radiation onco(i had two oncs) today and he said that he was pretty positive that it wouldnt come back in the field of radiation that was covered. that field was from the groin all the way up through all lymph nodes and concentration more on the tumor from the first go around! he said to go ahead with the scan to be 100% positive. that was good news! it doesnt bother me either way really. i can deal with what ever takes place but what i worry about most is how my wife will take it along with being pregnant, after all we have been through with that as well!!! i will keep positive and move on!! thanks again for all the prayers and thoughts!! FINGERS CROSSED

Comment

huckchef...any news?

Wondering how the scan went last Tuesday?

Comment

All clear guys and gals!!! man what a relief!!! i got the news wednesday afternoon while waiting with my wife in the ob/gyn waiting room. i tried not to let it affect me emotionally but with no avale. i hope i can really get past all of this and concentrate more on the life ahead of me! i cant wait to have this baby girl so i can spend my time thinking of her(yes its a girl...found out yesterday) and our futures. i cant thank you all enough for what goes on here. you are all truly special people! much love and many prayers, brian!

Comment

"All clear" are my favorite words. Congratulations and continuing best wishes, Brian!
                              Scott, [email protected]
                              right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Working...
                              X