retrograde question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retrograde question

i had my rplnd at sloan on feb 3 by dr sheinfeld. he told me he was successful in sparing the nerves. during my first follow up visit, on feb 23, i mentioned that i still hadnt regained normal ejaculation. he told me that it can sometimes take some time to come back normally. i trust him completely, but i know there is still a small chance it wont come back at all. my next appointment was scheduled for 6 months from now to see him and so far i still havent had normal ejaculation. it doesnt seem to be retrograde though, as i dont get a feeling of it going into my bladder. i also dont think i am peeing any of it out from what i have seen. also, i notice sometimes that a tiny bit of it sometimes makes it to the tip but doesnt really come out. it is almost as if i dont have the muscle strength to get it out, but my pubic muscle is far from weak. has anyone had this problem and if so how long was it before you could normally ejaculate? this is really bothering me since i am still very young and want to be able to conceive children normally rather than having a "test tube" baby so to speak. i really hope i am not part of the 5% or so who still lose their ejaculation even with nerve sparing rplnd. also, if it matters, i had an orchiectomy during the rplnd. could this possibly have caused some extra delay or complication? perhaps the semen is leaking out somewhere? please anyone with any insight could you help me?? thanks in advance

Hi,

i dont get a feeling of it going into my bladder. i also dont think i am peeing any of it out from what i have seen. also, i notice sometimes that a tiny bit of it sometimes makes it to the tip but doesnt really come out
    That statement pretty much sums up my situation at the moment. I didnt have a nerve sparing RPLND, due to the size & location of my tumour (and I think possible to some extent due to the experience of the surgeons over here, although I havent had that confirmed by them ) From what I know its pretty much a wait and see. My urologist told me they managed to save 5 nerves on the right side during the op (I dont know if this is alot or not!) and it may return, but that I should prepare for it not to.

I'm married, no kids, and its just something we're going to have to live with. Ive had a couple of months to get used to the idea now, so Ive come to terms with it. Might change if/when we want children, but thats just something we'll have to deal with at the time.

Not sure if thats any help to you or not, but youre not alone

Steve
    Left I/O March 05, nonseminoma;
    Relapse July 05, single lymph node 3cm;
    2 x BEP Aug / Sept 05, node grown to 4.7cm;
    2 x VeIP Sept / Oct, node grown to 6.7cm, markers normalised;
    RPLND Dec 05, no active cancer;
    back on surveillance

Comment

My son had his RPLND done at Sloan and it took 7-8 months for him to regain that function. I know it's frustrating when you read about other guy being fine in the next 2-3 weeks but just be patient.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

i had my RPLND exatly one year ago , also nerve sparing technique used and still dont have normal ejeculation .....i also had "somehing" coming out , like a drop od semen , in first couple of month ...i dont think either that my semen was going into bladder ...my urlogist prescribed medication "tofranil" which helps bladder neck muscle close tighter ...i believe some of our muscles somewhere are weak not sure where and which ones .....anyway, I will be very very happy father in about 2 months thanks to that medication ...
        2/18/05 I/O , 90% embryonal carinoma , 5% yolk sac , 5% Teratoma , RPLD 3/7/05 , 3 nodes < 5mm , AFP 2 , hcg < 2 , IIA non seminona, Surveillance...

Comment

I had retrograde ejaculation for about five months after my RPLND surgery.
          Scott, [email protected]
          right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
            I had retrograde ejaculation for about five months after my RPLND surgery.
            You forgot to add "But I'm feeling much better now"
            I/O Aug 04 (nonseminoma), bilateral RPLND Sep 04, Surveillance

Comment

You're absolutely right, jdbob, I am feeling much better now!

Scott
              Scott, [email protected]
              right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

i think i will try doing PC muscle exercises to strengthen the area.

Comment

Working...
                X