No announcement yet.

Is it possible to be out on the day of the orchiectomy?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it possible to be out on the day of the orchiectomy?

    Hey im kind of expecting the news of TC soon and was wondering on the day of this surgery.. can you leave on the day of having the operation?

    Im thinking how if it had the operation at like 9am, i could just go home in the night. What you guys think?

    How did it go with you all?

  • #2
    Yes, the orchiectomy is usually outpatient surgery. I went in early in the morning and was home before lunch time.
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

    Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!


    • #3
      Good to hear that. I just hate staying overnight in hospitals. Those damn places.

      So how did you feel atter the I/O when you got home? I mean anything you can tell me to expect in terms of the after effects.

      Ive never gone through under the knife in my life ... so im im just a bit anxious.


      • #4

        I think it is possible because my surgery was at 11am and I was already walking at 19pm the same day.. I had to stay there for unknown reasons to me.. I guess they were just checking my temperature and other simple stuff. I got out the next morning (around 9am).

        The surgery is no big deal really, I only had some problems laughing and coughing and I remember I was putting too much pressure on the cut because I was trying to avoid any movements there and that's totally wrong but bleh, it was my first real thing to do with hospitals and I was scared to death. In 3 days I was almost 100% back to normal so I guess it will be the same with you, hopefully.

        Hope this helps,

        Right IO, March 2006
        Stage III Nonseminoma - Choriocarcinoma. Multiple lung mets.


        • #5
          Three things: rest, ice, and meds.

          I laid down, kept my legs elevated, and used a pack of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to put on the site. Once you feel like walking, do it as much as possible.

          Wait a few days before testing your "equipment".

          Oh, and don't eat the peas. However, they can be refrozen and used as an ice pack again and again.
          Vinny (aka Frank)

          left I/O 1/5/05; 95%EC / 5% mature teratoma; stage IIIC
          4x BEP 1/24/05 - 4/11/05; RPLND (left side) 5/31/05
          VATS resection of teratoma from left lung 4/26/06
          Presently surveilling


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jason
            Hey im kind of expecting the news of TC soon and was wondering on the day of this surgery.. can you leave on the day of having the operation?

            Im thinking how if it had the operation at like 9am, i could just go home in the night. What you guys think?

            How did it go with you all?
            The only thing I would say is that you will be under general anaesthetic for the op and if you have never had this before then it's possible that you may have a reaction.
            I'd never had to go to a hospital before as a patient and certainly never had an anaesthetic - i'd also hoped to go home the same day but it turned out i had to wait till 2pm for my op. I was back to my bed by 4pm and wandered over to the toilet (unaided) by about 7pm so could conceivably have gone home.

            I'm glad i didn't as at about 1am i developed a fever which later turned out to be a reaction to the anaesthetic (as it was my first time) although it could have been an infection.
            They put me on a drip and gave me some pills and i was fine about 4 hours later....

            So if i were you and you do get diagnosed (let's hope not eh?), be prepared for an overnight. In the end I actually quite liked my stay - there was a really good sense of camaraderie amongst the four of us in my mini ward...

            Good luck


            • #7
              If your operation is done in the morning you should be able to go home the same day. However, why push it? I know being home in your own bed is nice but the staff at the hospital specializes in taking care of the sick.
              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

              Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.


              • #8
                My first orchiectomy, I was scheduled to head home around, 4 p.m. (the surgery was at 11 a.m.), but I was shivering when I awoke and it took awhile for the meds to wear off. They ended up letting me sleep and sent me home around 9 p.m.

                The second time, I felt much better immediately and was sent home early in the afternoon. It helped knowing what to expect the second time, not that I recommend that to anyone.
                Right I/0 March 30, 2005
                Left I/O April 20, 2005
                Embryonal carcinoma, teratocarcinoma
                Surveillance since May 19, 2005


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jason
                  Hey im kind of expecting the news of TC soon and was wondering on the day of this surgery.. can you leave on the day of having the operation?

                  Im thinking how if it had the operation at like 9am, i could just go home in the night. What you guys think?

                  How did it go with you all?
                  I am assuming that you are talking about the radical orchiectomy (removal of one testicle) and NOT the RPLND (may be done weeks after the radical orchiectomy depending on the stage of your cancer.)

                  It was my first surgery also and I went home that day. The others on this thread have given some good advice. I'll add a few things:
                  -Make sure to get your meds BEFORE THE SURGERY so that you will have them when you come home.
                  -You will NOT be able to drive home. Bring someone who can take you home.
                  -You're going to be in a little pain. Make sure your doctor prescribes some good meds (like Vicodin or Norco). Sorry, but the Over the Counter stuff (ibuprofen,acetaminophen,naproxen) is not going to work.
                  -Use a good natural laxitive for the first week. There are two reasons for that. First, you don't want to be pushing when you go #2. Also, the Vicodin/Norco usually causes constipation. Ask your doc, but something like Milk Of Magnesium should do.

                  Yes, the idea of someone going in an taking out your testicle sounds painful, but the surgery is not that bad. I hope you understand how the surgery is done. They do NOT go through the scrotum. They make a horizontal incision about 4-5" just below your belt line. Through your scrotum would REALLY HURT.

                  Live Sex
                  Last edited by BeachTech; 08-11-11, 11:12 PM.
                  Diagnosed May 2005
                  Stage IIa
                  Pure Embryonic Carcinoma
                  One 2.0cm tumor in testicle
                  One 1.0cm tumor in lymph node

                  Radical orchiectomy
                  Two cycles of BEP
                  Two cycles of EP (the Bleo was causing lung issues)

                  Pulmonary Embolism (Almost died)
                  Extremely low red blood count (Required 4 blood transfusion)

                  In remission since August 2005
                  July 2011-tumor markers clean!

                  Favorite Question
                  "Which testicle did they remove?"


                  • #10
                    My husband's I/O surgery started at 5 pm, and we were home by about 10 pm.


                    • #11
                      My first I/O in 1988 was an overnight stay, just because that was the common practice at the time. For my second I/O in 2003, I went in at noon and was home by 6pm. You will probably be somewhat out of it the rest of the day as the anesthetic takes a while to completely wear off. I actually had more pain the second day, so the pain meds are a necessity. Also swelling and bruising of the scrotum and possibly the penis are not unusual and are generally nothing to worry about. But if any symptoms seem extreme, its best to call the doctor, or sometimes the hospital will give you a contact number on the discharge papers. Also I wouldn't plan on driving until the stitches (staples) are out.

                      Best of luck,

                      Right I/O 4/22/1988
                      RPLND 6/20/1988
                      Left I/O 9/17/2003

                      Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.


                      • #12
                        Had my orch at 8:40AM, and was home brfore noon. Had no reaction to the general either.
                        Discovered 8/4/05, Diagnosed 8/26/05, I/O 8/29/05.
                        100% Seminoma, some vascular invasion.
                        Radiation began 09/20/05, last day 10/14/05.


                        • #13
                          I had my orchiectomy at 7am...and began at 7am sharp...was waking up at 8:05am and they had me walking out at 8:35am...

                          Surgery was actually fine...felt just like falling to sleep, fast..and waking up was fine too...just woke up and took a bit of time to come around...not at all like I recall surgery being like 10 years ago with dizziness, nasea etc..the nurse told me ahead of time that now surgery is much more pleasant (if I can say that) as compared to even 5 years ago, due to new meds...

                          of course you'll need someone to drive you...
                          - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
                          - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
                          - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
                          - normal markers PRE surgery
                          - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
                          - Stage I diagnosis
                          - surveillance
                          - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
                          - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
                          - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
                          - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
                          - back on surveillance


                          • #14
                            I had my left IO at about 2 in the afternoon. I was an anesthetic risk due to respiratory complications, so I had a spinal (epidural) instead. I was awake during the whole thing (albeit highly sedated). About the only complicating factor for me was that I wasn't allowed to go home until I was able to walk around and urinate (under my own control) again... I was able to stand wobbly around 8pm, and walk around unaided by 10pm. I was discharged around 1am.

                            My scrotum wasn't all that sore really, just the site of the incision was. I'd strongly advise getting your percocet script filled before the surgery, so you have it ready to go when you get home. The first day, I took the percocet religiously every 4 hours, and the pain was pretty manageable... Just gotta take it easy and use LOTS of ice. The swelling at the incision site is pretty normal, and it will go away with time (mine took a little over a month, but I was pain-free within 10 days)