Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wai's Treatment - Questions

Hello all,

Well, I am about to commence my 2nd cycle of 3 x BEP....the thought of looking at those chemical bags again makes me feel sick Apart from that... feeling ok...actually I picked up a fair bit over the last week and even managed a couple of 5k runs. I do expect it to get harder however. Anyway, a thought which has really been getting me down (besides the chemo itself) is the thought of a possible RPLND. Would anyone happen to know what the chances of this would be? The tumour make up was 100% EC (no markers) and the 2 node masses were about 1.5cm and 2.5cm. Because there was apparently no teratoma, does these increase my likelyhood of not needing an RPLND? What makes me worry even more, is that surgeons here in Oz appear to be unable to use the nerve sparing technique!! NZSteve has given me a contact for a Doc in Sydney (far from me) which I guess I will call if required.

Another thing, after I finished my first cycle, I developed an overwhelming taste for junk food! I normally pride myself on my good eating habits, so I couldn't believe my cravings for burgers and the like. I improved a little on my second week off, but I still feel guilty about it. Anyway, my weight is back to pre-chemo levels, so I guess it can't be that bad. I normally only have to smell a burger and I put on weight

Sorry one more thing...I hope this is not to personal for you guys, but has anyone had experiences where the sperm count hasn't returned back to sufficent levels to have a family? I have done banking, but prefer the natural option of course.

Thanks a bunch

wai,

I wrote just prior to your starting chemo...

look at it this way...get thru the 2nd, and only 1 more to go....you can do 1 of anything...Mentally, I really geared up for the 2nd cycle, thinking I can't wait to get started, because after this, just 1 more...

try to eat well....an occasional protein shake like ensure or boost can help...don't tax your body too much with junk food...

many stories of sperm count being fine afterwards...but try not to think about this stuff...it's really minor in the whole scheme of things. People seek what they don't have...you have a good chance at a cure, and seem to be doing well so far, so you are thinking of things like sperm count - natural...but stay focused on your fortune...one person told me if you have to get cancer, testicular these days is the jackpot.

I hope you do well...I'm now a couple months out of chemo, almost back to my old weight, working out, feel great...after 3 BEP....soon it'll be past you and whatever bad feelings you have will be a distant memory.
    - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
    - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
    - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
    - normal markers PRE surgery
    - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
    - Stage I diagnosis
    - surveillance
    - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
    - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
    - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
    - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
    - back on surveillance

Comment

Thanks Pete...

Almost through 2nd cycle....mentally I am finding it a pretty big challenge. On the sperm question, your right I try not to think of it too much, but a lot passes through my mind as I sit here waiting for the next daily dose to finish. I guess one day having a family (& conceiving naturally) is one of them.

On the food....I couldn't agree with you more, except the better foods that are less taxing on the body seems to be the ones I am unable to stomach! It's strange....I did improve somewhat in the second week off, but the first week out of chemo Im terrrible!

Well, comgratulations on what seems to be a speedy recovery.....keep up the good work & I hope I can do as well as you!

Wai

Comment

Wai,,,I kind of know what you are going thru...I watched my son do four rounds last year at this time...keep up the fight....look to the future....he is doing great and so will you!!! Mary Ellen

Comment

Working...
        X