Food/drink with chemo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food/drink with chemo

My partner is likely going to start 4 x EP next week. I want to stock up on things that he might want to eat or drink. I read somewhere that it's important to drink water but that it might taste bad, so I was thinking of getting flavored water or Gatorade, but I'd love to hear from some who have been there if there were any foods/drinks that they liked during chemo, or conversely, that they hated. I also was thinking of making smoothies, but again, I have no idea if that would be good or not. Any tips?

Also, if anyone has other things not food-related that made their chemo experience a little easier, I'd love to hear about that, too.

Thanks!

Gatorade is a good option.. Really any comfort food would be the best.. Get things that can be eaten in small portions and lots of snack type food.. The last thing he will want to do is sit down to a big meal.. Snacking many times a day is usually better.. I found any soup to be my favorite food (Chunky) and any citrus tasting drink to be great.. It was the only thing that didn't taste like metal or tinny.. DONT buy the food he normally eats because once he starts Chemo his taste will change alot.. I drove my wife crazy making her buy all kinds of different stuff every week.. I call it payback for driving me crazy during 2 pregnancies !!!!!!!!!!
    Moffitt Cancer Institute
    CANCER SUCKS
    Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

Originally posted by Don
      .. I drove my wife crazy making her buy all kinds of different stuff every week.. I call it payback for driving me crazy during 2 pregnancies !!!!!!!!!!
      Good one Don !

I drank mostly water,adding fresh lemon slices to counter-act the "metalic" taste. More good advise from Don,is to avoid your favorite foods. I had some really bizzare cravings,like sweets,and BBQ chips,which I NEVER eat!

Good luck with his treatment...make sure he takes his anti-nausea meds !
      Dec/04-Right I/O-nonseminoma (95%E/C),Stage 1, surveillance
      Nov/05- 2.2 cm lymph node= Stage II A
      Nov/05 -Jan/06-3 x BEP
      Jan/06 -Surveillance

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

My husband drank water for his first 2 EP cycles, now he's about to start cycle 4 and says he will never drink water again. Gatorade, sweetened iced tea, chocolate milk, soup and watered-down lemonade got him through cycle 3.

As for foods, he had bad heartburn the first cycle, but after prilosec got that under control, he's been eating everything he normally eats. In the mornings, he's a little queasy, but plain bagels and cheerios settle his stomach.

Comment

I just finished the first week of my 3rd round of EP and all the advice given so far is great. Staying hydrated is one of the most important things to do during chemo and I never liked drinking plain, old water so I've been drinking lots of Gatorade. I'm sure once I'm done, I'll never want Gatorade again but for now it works. And like others have said, just about anything with a citrus flavor tastes pretty good compared to lots of other things. I was always a big orange juice drinker and it's still the first thing I drink every day.

As far as food goes, all bets are off. He will have craving for things he might not normally like and other things he does like will taste terrible. I'm also driving my wife nuts with all the special requests I have for different foods. I certainly know how a pregnant woman with cravings must feel.

I wouldn't stock up on too much of anything. Just be prepared to make lots of trips to the store when he decides what he wants.
            TC diagnosed 4/3/06, [email protected]; Left I/O 4/10/06; Stage IIa Non-Seminoma, 100% Yolk Sac; Started 4xEP 5/22/06 with [email protected]; Finshed 4xEP 8/11, AFP normal, CT scans clear! Now on surveillance

Comment

Only hint food wise i can give, is to try potato based foods, i know that was all i seemed to like on the first week of each round.

Comment

Gatorade is good, and I also am a big fan of RECHARGE, which doesn't have the corn syrup and stuff in it, just pure juice and water. Whatever appeals to you and can tolerate...........just keep pumping it in. The healthier the better but those types of things are generally bland or tasteless minus any chemo Rx so it's probably out of the question during chemo Rx.
                Age 33, Right I/O Mar '05, 90% embryonal, 10% teratocarcinoma, Surv until 4 mo CT (+), 3 x BEP Aug/Sep '05, CT 10/05 ok, CT 2/06 ok, CT 3/06 ok, CT 6/06 ok, X-Ray, Blood 8/06 ok, Sperm Count 09/06: Low but active, CT 10/06 ok, X-ray 12/06 ok, CT 02/07 ok, X-ray/blood 4/07 ok, CT 6/07 ok, X-ray/blood 09/07, CT 10/07 ok, CT 4/08 ok, CT 10/08 ok

LAST NIGHT I DREAMT 1000 LIES
                I CAN SEE THE DAWN
                THROUGH A DIFFERENT SET OF EYES

Comment

Gatorade is really good or even the sweetened waters they have. Kevin (hubby) had major craving for sweets during chemo.

If you're worried about nutrients, look into Boosts or something like that. That's what they use for guys going through high dose chemo/stem cell transplant to help with some of the nutrients.

Patti
                  Wife of Kevin Murphy
                  Diagnosed 7/16/04 100% Choriocarcinoma
                  Oriechtomy 7/20/04
                  4xBEP 8/04-11/04 BHCG:1200 (lung only)
                  Rediagnosed 12/27/04 BHCG: 50
                  1xVIP 1/05 (lung)
                  HDC/Stem cell Indiana 2/05-4/05 BHCG: 51-4.5 (lung)
                  HDC failure 5/05
                  3xGemzar/Taxol 6/05-9/05 (lung only)
                  VP-16 w/Avastin 9/05-1/06 (lung only)
                  Cyberknife 5" lung tumor 2/06
                  cyberknife 6 brain tumors 3/06
                  1xOxaliplatnin 3/06 (liver, lungs, kidneys, left hip)
                  Passed away 4/13/2006

Comment

The Boost are good for the vitamins, but they really upset my acid reflux in my stomach, my oncologist told me to stay away from dairy then. Really, its gonna be a try it and see how it goes. Right now, regular hard pretzels are doing wonders for me and chicken. They seem to be the best things for me now, so I'm eating a lot of that. In the beginning, do the 'seefood' diet, if he sees food and it looks good, TRY IT!!!

Best wishes!!!
                    4/11/06 Markers: AFP-41.0 & HCG-88
                    4/13/06 Left I/O
                    4/19/06 Diagnosed w/ nonseminoma;80% yolk sac, 15% teratoma, and 5% embryonal carcinoma
                    5/10/06 Markers: AFP-4.7 & HCG-1
                    5/12/06 RPLND surgery @ HUP
                    6/19/06 Started 2 cycles of EP
                    7/14/06 Completed 2 cycles of EP

8/19/11 - Received what I call now my "five year-all clear"!!!
                    8/20/11 - First Livestrong Challenge in Philly! http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Comment

Thanks so much for all the replies and well wishing. Best to all of you, too!

Comment

Steroids given with chemo

Awr, Be prepared for possible hunger from the steroids that they give with the chemo. When Wesley felt half way decent he ate like a horse, they said much of that was due to the meds that they gave with the chemo. Now the days that he felt bad it was always chicken noodle soup. If there is something that he feels like I say go for it. Just be prepared for the days to be as different as night and day because some are like that. April
                        Wesley's TC
                        Non-Seminoma
                        90% Embryonal 10% Seminoma
                        Stage IIIa
                        Treatment: Left I/O 4/11/05
                        4XBEP 4/25/05
                        08/05 -Surveillance & Many Scans/X-rays

Comment

Originally posted by awr
                          My partner is likely going to start 4 x EP next week. I want to stock up on things that he might want to eat or drink. I read somewhere that it's important to drink water but that it might taste bad, so I was thinking of getting flavored water or Gatorade, but I'd love to hear from some who have been there if there were any foods/drinks that they liked during chemo, or conversely, that they hated. I also was thinking of making smoothies, but again, I have no idea if that would be good or not. Any tips?

Also, if anyone has other things not food-related that made their chemo experience a little easier, I'd love to hear about that, too.

Thanks!
                          CALORIES!
                          Eat stuff with a lot of calories. Throw the apple in the trash and eat the apple pie (more calories per ounce). Stay away from really fatty foods (pizza, etc.)

Don't buy a lot of any certain food
                          I found my taste changed almost daily. My wife would find a food I would like and she would run out and buy a lot of it. Two days later I wouldn't eat it.

Drink the water
                          Plain water is going to taste awful, but you gotta drink it. I wouldn't rely solely on Gatoraid.

Spicy food
                          Stay away from spicy food

Don't force any food
                          Be careful of "forcing" him to eat anything, you may be creating food aversions. My wife, knowing I liked donuts, about forced me to eat one during the last week of chemo when I was feeling so sick. Now when I see a donut, I get sick. Same with Wheat Thins and Gatorade.

BTW, I had four cycles. The fourth cycle was the WORST. After the fourth cycle, I was hospitalized twice for complications (see below).
                          ________
                          Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
                          Last edited by BeachTech; 08-11-11, 11:24 PM.
                          BeachTech
                          Diagnosis
                          Diagnosed May 2005
                          Stage IIa
                          Pure Embryonic Carcinoma
                          One 2.0cm tumor in testicle
                          One 1.0cm tumor in lymph node

Treatment
                          Radical orchiectomy
                          Two cycles of BEP
                          Two cycles of EP (the Bleo was causing lung issues)

Complications
                          Pulmonary Embolism (Almost died)
                          Extremely low red blood count (Required 4 blood transfusion)

Status
                          In remission since August 2005
                          July 2011-tumor markers clean!

Favorite Question
                          "Which testicle did they remove?"

Comment

Good advice Beach Tech with the high calorie foods and high protein foods are great for energy boosts..... by the final round you'll need all the energy you can get....
                            Moffitt Cancer Institute
                            CANCER SUCKS
                            Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal [email protected] 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

Brewing and Dave--- I know chemo is hell but just remember that its a means to an end.. I hope your both doing well... Stay positive and stay strong!!!!!! DON
                              Moffitt Cancer Institute
                              CANCER SUCKS

Comment

Working...
                              X