Laparoscopic RPLND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laparoscopic RPLND

Trying to decide between surveillance and RPLND for Stage I -- just curious if anyone here or if anyone knows anyone who has had a laparoscopic RPLND, and if it is a viable option.

Thank you, and thank you for your answers to my other questions. You guys have been very helpful during a very stressful time.

If you search with the term "laparoscopic," you'll find several past discussions. It's still not well proven, though it has generally worked out for the few of us in these forums who have had laparoscopic RPLND surgery. The most recent NCCN guidelines were modified to explicitly recommend open, nerve-sparing RPLND surgery.
    Scott, [email protected]
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Check out this report.
      Scott, [email protected]
      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

There are many factors that would affect the decision to have an open or Laparoscopic RPLND. The type of tumor found in the testicle, if there are signs of invasion or not, even which testicle, left or right. My surgeon Dr Meng at UCSF Medical Center explained all of this to me and he does done many of both kinds, He also said there was an option to convert to the open if it looked like it would be necessary. As far as recovery time, the LAP is far more desirable.
        I had the same decision, Survellance or Lap, and I am glad I went with the LAP, since they found two nodes with Seminoma.

I think I was given a number like 15% chance of stage 2 before the operation.

After the operation there is a 99% chance that I will remain cancer free.

You are doing the right thing, Ask questions, read reports and studies and you will be able to make your decision

Good Luck

Dave
        Left I/O 12/15/04 95% Immature Teratoma 5% mixed - CT clear 1/13/05 - LAP RPLND 2/14/05 - Stage II 2 lymph nodes w/ Microscopic (<5mm )Seminoma- Currently on Surveillance. 4 month CT, 2 month Blood

Comment

Working...
        X