Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neupogen

HI All,
    I had my first round of EP last week, then on Monday I received a shot that I think was Neupogen. It is designed to regenerate bone marrow growth.
    The RN told me I might feel some pain in my long bones- just take some tylenol or ibuprofen, should take care of it.
    So all week no pain other than just run down from the chemo. Then Friday night- the pain in my hips and legs back was incredible, almost crippling.
    I had a perc left over from the orch, about an hour after that I was able to sleep.
    It was not a bad on Saturday.
    Anyboby else have something like this, and is the delay typical?
    Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
    Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
    The 2013 Already Balders

Back spasms

Originally posted by Already Bald
    HI All,
    I had my first round of EP last week, then on Monday I received a shot that I think was Neupogen. It is designed to regenerate bone marrow growth.
    The RN told me I might feel some pain in my long bones- just take some tylenol or ibuprofen, should take care of it.
    So all week no pain other than just run down from the chemo. Then Friday night- the pain in my hips and legs back was incredible, almost crippling.
    I had a perc left over from the orch, about an hour after that I was able to sleep.
    It was not a bad on Saturday.
    Anyboby else have something like this, and is the delay typical?
    I had to take Neupogen also for WB count. I had none of the documented side effects. When I would take Neupogen every day, on the third day I would get what I would call labor pains in my back. The first time it happened I had no idea what was going on. SEVERE cramps in my lower back every 5-15 seconds. I could feel them coming on. I could barely walk myself into the ER.

When I was in the ER, they gave me a shot of Dilaudid in the rump. It helped enough so I could go home and sleep it off.

I worked with my Onc to take Neupogen every other day, but sometimes the WB numbers required every day. And on the third day I would have those SEVERE cramps. Once this happened when I was out of town, so I treated myself. Let's see...one Norco 10 (Vicodin with less tylenol), one Ativan, and one Soma. That should do it. Well, I think it worked, but I don't remember much from that night. Don't try this at home. My Onc flipped when I told her what I took. "You took all of that together?!"

The last time it happened, I was in the hospital (post-chemo severe anemia). I told the doc on call that on the third day, I'm going to have these cramps, so have something ready for this. Well it happened at about 10pm on a Saturday night. The nurse came in and said "Well, the doc is perscribing Tylenol". I told her that was not going to cut it. Then she said "he also said we can give you Dilaudid 1mg or 2mg." I told her to give me two. She gave it to me, this time in my IV, and pushed it fast (like 3 seconds). In 30 seconds I felt my chest go in like I had just taken off in a roller-coaster. I had never done drugs, not even gotten drunk, but I was buzzed out of my mind!! I remember feeling very hot, and they were putting cold towels on my head. FUN TIMES!!!

The same thing happened the next day and they gave me another shot of Dilaudid, 2mg, in the IV. Again, I was buzzed beyond Rush Limbaugh. One of those fun fringe benefits of having cancer.....the docs will give you ANYTHING.

Dilaudid also comes in pill form, but I never tried that. Norco was good enough for the other times.

Good luck,

________
    California dispensaries
    Last edited by BeachTech; 08-12-11, 12:25 AM.
    BeachTech
    Diagnosis
    Diagnosed May 2005
    Stage IIa
    Pure Embryonic Carcinoma
    One 2.0cm tumor in testicle
    One 1.0cm tumor in lymph node

Treatment
    Radical orchiectomy
    Two cycles of BEP
    Two cycles of EP (the Bleo was causing lung issues)

Complications
    Pulmonary Embolism (Almost died)
    Extremely low red blood count (Required 4 blood transfusion)

Status
    In remission since August 2005
    July 2011-tumor markers clean!

Favorite Question
    "Which testicle did they remove?"

Comment

Two or three days after my sons shot he would get excruciating pain in his right femur. It would pass after another two or three days.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

it would take about 3 days for me too, as dadmo wrote...

yes, I had the bone pain, and I would convince myself to look forward to it, knowing that it was working...far more scarier thinking that you have zero infection fighting ability...I felt so vulnerable so I would welcome the bone pain...
        - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
        - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
        - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
        - normal markers PRE surgery
        - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
        - Stage I diagnosis
        - surveillance
        - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
        - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
        - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
        - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
        - back on surveillance

Comment

Working...
        X