HCG and AFP going back up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCG and AFP going back up

My husband (seems weird to say that, we just married this past weekend) finished 4xBEP Christmas Day. His HCG at diagnoses was a little over 100K, AFP was 770. As of about two weeks ago, his HCG had gone down to 6 and the AFP to 25. Today when he went in to get results from blood drawn last Wednesday, the HCG has gone back up to 8 and AFP to 38. His doctor said it might be just a "variance" because there were only 6 days between tests. I don't trust this. She is not familiar with TC (we're consulting with Dr. Einhorn). Has anyone else experienced an increase only to have them go back down with the next test? Based on how well he had been doing, we thought we might just be facing surgery. Now I think we might be looking at HDC w/stem cell transplant.

I'm very scared now. I am very thankful that we even have HDC to consider, but I didn't want to have to resort to that so soon. I am afraid now that his cancer was so advanced they won't be able to knock it out.

Thanks for listening and for any advice/experiences you can share.

Emily
    sigpic Husband diagnosed 10/19/2006. EGCT, with mets to lung, brain, lymph nodes and liver, 4XBEP finished 12/25/2006. Began HDC 2/12/2007 at IU. HDC failure 5/07. Husband passed away 7/14/2007.

Emily,

I am so sorry to hear this news. I know you must be worried, I have been down that same path. Sounds like he is in good hands and I believe he will be cured!!! Prayers for you and your dh.

Margaret
    Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
    Current DVT
    Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Thanks Margaret. I appreciate your words of encouragement, especially right now. I have tried to be strong and positive, but seem to have a harder time doing that when the news isn't good.

Thanks again.
      sigpic Husband diagnosed 10/19/2006. EGCT, with mets to lung, brain, lymph nodes and liver, 4XBEP finished 12/25/2006. Began HDC 2/12/2007 at IU. HDC failure 5/07. Husband passed away 7/14/2007.

Comment

Thanks Chris. Wish we were on a honeymoon! Instead I'm sitting at work worrying!!! (and abusing the internet ) I appreciate your response. Dr. Einhorn has been wonderful to us and has been guiding us every step of the way.

Thanks again!

Comment

Congratulations on your marriage! There are lab variations...and errors. Are they repeating the tests? An Einhorn consult is in order. If the doc isn't very familiar with TC is your husband finding one who is?

On your 5th anniversary this will be a very distant memory.
          Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

It's hard not to worry but don't assume the cancer is back. It's not uncommon for the lab work to be off every once in a while. Do you know if they used a different lab? That can make a huge differance. Your doctor should be planning to run the labs again very soon. Let us know how they turn out.
            Last edited by dadmo; 02-06-08, 03:20 PM.
            Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Thanks Karen and Dadmo. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't worry. It's what I do best! I hope I am just overreacting. I hadn't thought about a difference in the lab. He had blood taken at the Drs office like always. He is supposed to get the results of the blood taken today on Friday morning. He's scheduled for surgery next Wednesday to remove the port and also for the gastro to do a follow up gastro and colonoscopy to make sure the activity he saw the first time is gone.

I'm keeping Dr. E apprised of everything we find out and getting his advice. Because the case was so advanced, I don't want to miss a single thing or give the cancer a chance to get started up again and take over.

Thanks again so much for your responses. You all are wonderful.

Emily

Comment

Working...
              X