X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mstlyn
    • Jan 2007

Dr. Weizer??

Has anyone ever heard anything about this doctor? Anthony has to go see him at U of M within a week. Exact date will be known by tomorrow.

He is a urologist/oncologist

U of M - Michigan

Dr. Weizer

I looked him up on the internet but I'm not able to find any information about him.

Tammy

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
    L/O 12/20/06 Stage IIIA, 95% EC, 5% Yolk Sac
    4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
    AFP started increasing3 wks later
    Residual abdominal mass found on CT
    RPLND 6/8/07
    Cancer in pathology-
    80% mature teratoma, 20% Yolk Sac. --
    No adjuvent chemo and
    AFP normalised

July 22, 2010 ---- 3 years all clear!
  • mstlyn
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Robert2112
    I would think it would have to be Dr Alon Weizer at U of M. let me know if it is .

R
    I'll find out for sure when dorrie calls back with the appointment date, but I didn't think it would be hard to find out. This is an urologist/oncologist from U of M .... My guess would be Alon. You know of him?

Tammy

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
    4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
    RPLND 6/8/07
    Cancer in pathology-
    No adjuvent chemo and
    AFP normalised

Comment

• mstlyn
      • Jan 2007

He is young. He did his residency at Duke where he was honored Nationally , and is doing his fellowship at U of M. Both are not easy to get into. I would imagine that he has done some RPLND's while at Duke , but I am sure it would be appropriate to ask how many. He is no doubt a "star" but without asking him, how much experience he has with RPLND , I don't know. If he does have experience, I would say his credentials, which are already excellent, would be even more so.

Thanks Robert. Can you post the link with that information? When you say young, how young are we talking?

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
      4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
      RPLND 6/8/07
      Cancer in pathology-
      No adjuvent chemo and
      AFP normalised

Comment

• mstlyn
        • Jan 2007

http://www.med.umich.edu/urology/new...s-%2010-05.pdf

I'd say early 30 's . His " time "at Duke was excellent. As I said before, both a Duke residency and a U of M fellowship are not easy to get, so don't discount him on his age. I am sure he knows the operation, the question would be how many has he done? That would be the important one

R
        If you had to undergo a post chemo RPLND, how many surgeries (dr. experience) would make you feel comfortable enough to let a doctor put you under the knife?

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
        4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
        RPLND 6/8/07
        Cancer in pathology-
        No adjuvent chemo and
        AFP normalised

Comment

• Margaret
          • Jan 2007

Tammy, how did the brain scan go? I have been thinking about you.

Margaret
          Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
          Current DVT
          Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

• mstlyn
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Margaret
            Tammy, how did the brain scan go? I have been thinking about you.

Margaret

Thank you for asking about the MRI, Margaret. I still don't have the results, though I did talk to dorrie this morning. She said Dr. Bauer is not in this week and she said it will probably be a couple days before the results are in. I will call and get the results from one of the nurses..
            They better give them to me too .. This is what happened when anthonys firse CT scan came back with an enlarged node. The doctor was out for the week and I ended up going out to find an oncologist because I couldnt' wait for the dr. to get back.

Thanks for thinking of us
            Tammy

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
            4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
            RPLND 6/8/07
            Cancer in pathology-
            No adjuvent chemo and
            AFP normalised

Comment

• mstlyn
              • Jan 2007

Just a thought

His oncologist should still be involved in all this. He is the "quarterback" ". Dr Bauer is the urologist isn't he?
              Yes, Dr. Bauer is the urologist; and Dr. Danish (oncologist) wouldn't order the MRI when I asked him to. He will undoubtedly get a copy of the results though.. I am waiting for Dr. Danish to call me this afternoon about anthonys back pain.
              What is your take on this Robert?

Do you think that if the back pain has returned that it means the cancer is active and growing again?

I know you are not a doctor, but I know that you have a lot of knowledge about TC, too.

He has never had back pain otherwise.

Tammy

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
              4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
              RPLND 6/8/07
              Cancer in pathology-
              No adjuvent chemo and
              AFP normalised

Comment

• Russell's Mom
                • Sep 2006

a couple of thoughts

Regarding the back pain. Difficult to think that it is the cancer with normal tumor markers. Have the doctors been following his kidney output? Any problems with urination. Kidney pain, infection, problem show up just below the ribs on the back. For the information about the doctor, the referring hospital should be able to get you the exact information about who he is.
                Russell's doctors referred to UCSF, a center that is familiar with RPLND. There they told me that that do about 50 cases a year. I was confindent with the surgeon. It is good to get with a doctor who specializes in urology and ocology together, they will be much more detailed in the directions that you need. Hope this helps, with you, Russell's Mom, Sharon
                Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

• mercyriver
                  • Oct 2006

Just a thought, if he still has an elargment, even if it is not cancerous, if it is dead tissue or teratoma, he could still have pain.

I think I remember reading his CT showed something enlarged to 4cm+

My huband started getting pain from his lymph nodes when they were above 1.5 cm. I can only imagine the pain from something 3 times that size. Then depending on what it is pressing on....etc.

Also, stress, can cause the muscles in your back to tighten up and spasam, creating lots of pain. Trust me, that is where my stress goes. When I am not stressed, pain free. I never had back pain until I had something to stress about...kids.

I really hope all of this turns for the best.

Becki

Husband Right I/O 09/06
                  -70% Embryonal Carcinoma
                  -20% Teratoma
                  -10% Yolk Sac Tumor
                  11/06- lymph nodes 1.8x1.4 and 1.9x1.4
                  12/06-PET Scan confirms activity in lymph nodes, lymph nodes 2.2x2.2 and 2.4x2.3
                  1/07-Start 3xBEP
                  4/07-PET clear, lymph nodes down to 1.1x0.5 and 1.8x1.0
                  6/07-lymph nodes 1.2x1.0 and 1.9x.9
                  8/07-lymph nodes 1.1x1.0 and 2.0x1.2
                  10/07-lymph nodes 2.0x1.5 and 2.7x1.8
                  11/07- PostChemo LRPLND-found burnt out teratoma
                  11/09-Enlarging lymph node 1.2 cm near renal veins

Comment

• Margaret
                    • Jan 2007

Tammy, we reviewed all RPLND options and found Dr. Sheinfeld at Sloan Kettering to be one of the best. They are located in New York City ( we live in North Carolina near Duke but they felt it was a bit beyond what they could do) and I was told by many doctors that he does more of these than almost any other doctor in the country. Not only did the surgery go great, but he had a bi-lateral RPLND and the dr. was able to save his nerves so he does not have retro-grade ejaculation. Which given the mess my husband was in, most of the dr.s we talked to said that saving his nerves was impossible. It was a great hospital and we had great care. Good luck and let me know if you need the contact information.

Margaret
                    Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
                    Current DVT

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

• Margaret
                      • Jan 2007

I am not sure if this is helpful...but my husband's tumor was over 10 cm (near his kidney) and another that was 5 cm and he never once felt any pain from it. So maybe the pain your son is in is unrelated to the cancer.

I will tell you one thing, if he is throwing up a lot, that can cause major back pain. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Hang in there.
                      Current DVT

Comment

• mstlyn
                        • Jan 2007

Different Doctor

I just a message from the urologist office saying that they switched doctors for anthony to see at U of M because dr. weizer won't have an opening for 2 weeks, and they want to get this set up asap.

This is the Doctors name that was left, and I am posting a link. If you scroll down a short ways you will see his photo and some info about him. I don't think I'm comfortable with this. Tell me what you think please.

Dr. Hafez

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
                        4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
                        RPLND 6/8/07
                        Cancer in pathology-
                        No adjuvent chemo and
                        AFP normalised

Comment

• mstlyn
                          • Jan 2007

Also, how would I go about getting anthony to an expert in a state near michigan, and get him there quickly?

His surgery needs to be done immediately after his 6 week chemo recovery ... .

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
                          4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
                          RPLND 6/8/07
                          Cancer in pathology-
                          No adjuvent chemo and
                          AFP normalised

Comment

• Margaret
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by mstlyn
                            Also, how would I go about getting anthony to an expert in a state near michigan, and get him there quickly?

His surgery needs to be done immediately after his 6 week chemo recovery ... .
                            Do you know the places that you have insurance coverage for? That could be a good place to start. Most places are just a short plane ride away...and that way you can pick a doctor you are more comfortable with that has more experience.
                            Current DVT

Comment

• mstlyn
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Margaret
                              Do you know the places that you have insurance coverage for? That could be a good place to start. Most places are just a short plane ride away...and that way you can pick a doctor you are more comfortable with that has more experience.

His insurance is only good in the county we live in. We have yet to hear about his state disability claim. Disability is the criteria for medicaid coverage for someone 21 and over that does not have children.
                              Im not sure if someone would take him and wait for the medicaid??

We don't have time to waste either, so that is a major problem. Finding someone, faxing everything, getting him scheduled for surgery, travel plans etc ...

They want him to see someone this week and get scheduled to have the surgery immediately after the 6 week chemo recovery period. That leaves 3 weeks.

Son Anthony DX 12/11/06
                              4XEP 1/29-4/6/ 07
                              RPLND 6/8/07
                              Cancer in pathology-
                              No adjuvent chemo and
                              AFP normalised

Comment