Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My husband is starting last Chemo-cycle what can we expect next....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband is starting last Chemo-cycle what can we expect next....?

My husband is starting is 4th Chemo cycle (which is his last) tomorrow. He will be done with the Chemo end of May/early June.

I was wondering what we could expect next.

Hopeful Wife:
    Welcome to the forum. Before that question can be answered we would need to know more about his case. Do you have anything you could share. If he had no lymph node involvment he should be cured next Friday. He will of course need a lot of follow ups.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

The first several weeks post chemo were great for me...I could literally feel myself getting better by the day...you start eating well again, and your body rebuilds fast....

you'll look back soon and think was this a dream...did it really happen to us....

physically, I started to try running/swimming again about 2 months post chemo...I kept getting leg cramps....I waited a bit and tried not to push it....about 4 months post chemo, no problems.

You should be confident that he will be fine...the odds are very much in his favor....

Just take it one day at a time...

Hopefully you will look back on this an experience you would never trade...try to stay active on the forum and help out the newer members...its very rewarding....
      - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
      - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
      - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
      - normal markers PRE surgery
      - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
      - Stage I diagnosis
      - surveillance
      - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
      - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
      - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
      - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
      - back on surveillance

Comment

I can’t comment on the cancer prognosis. I’m sure your doctor will discuss a surveillance schedule of blood tests, X-rays, etc. with you. If not, ask him about it.

I can give you some general thoughts on what I experienced after finishing chemo.

Just about exactly one week after the chemo, I started noticing improvement. Eyesight corrected itself almost immediately.

My digestive system was completely straightened out about three weeks out. My taste buds came back gradually, but were probably all the way back after a month or so.

Exercise definitely helped. I had some pretty strenuous assignments at work, and I was a little nervous about tackling them. But after a day of sweating I noticed I was feeling quite a bit better. My wife noted that she could smell the chemo drugs on me when I’d come home. I’d really recommend some exercise, if it’s practical. It made me feel a lot better.

My hair started returning in little bits about 6-weeks out and I’d say now, a little over two months out, it’s growing steadily.

The only thing really troubling me at this point is memory, but I guess it’s just a matter of time for that to snap back as well.

Good luck with this last cycle.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dt22207
          The only thing really troubling me at this point is memory, but I guess it’s just a matter of time for that to snap back as well.
          I must say that my memory is not what it once was, I think part of that is the Atavin. Oh, and my spelling is terrible- but that's always been the case!

That last cycle of EP was pretty rough on me, make sure your husband drinks lots- keeping the kidneys flushed will help to get rid of the poison. I put on weight during chemo, so if I had to do it over again (God willing I won't), I would exercise more and try make better food choices.
          You will do blood tests and ct scans- did he have lung mets?
          He will essentially go into the world of surveillance.
          Let us know how it goes.
          Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
          Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
          The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

I felt a lot worse tired after 4th cycle for a longer time
            but I went back to my hometown, see family, eat good food
            these all made me feel good of course and easier to cope with side effects

1wk after I start walking around the block, every day a bit more
            1 month later I started gym, only elliptical training in the begining
            now I do full fledged strength training and cardio
            post 4 months chemo and 3 months surgery in the abdomen

I know worrying for next step is always the case, but solutions will arise when you really face your problem

Good Luck with last cycle and recovery
            diagnose 18 Aug 06
            Orchiectomy 24 Aug 06
            pure Seminoma, markers normal, PALP positive
            CT 35x45x60 mm at L3
            EPx4 cycle from 6 Oct 2006
            CT no shrinkage after 4 cycle, PET negative 12 Jan 07
            Post chemo mass resection 14 Feb 07
            Found mature teratoma (unusual for seminoma)
            Surveillance !

Comment

Working...
            X