Always worrying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always worrying...

Since my IO in February and my RPLND in March, I have had a constant fear that I could develop a second tumor in the remaining testicle. Its like all I think about and I can never relax and im always nervous. I can't get it out of my head. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you guys deal with it?

I thought about that a lot for the first few weeks after my surgery, but I honestly have to tell you, I realized it's all about perspective. The chance of a recurrance is like 2 or 3 percent I believe, which is higher then I would like it to be, but who am I to see into the future, or live my life in fear? Worrying about somthing that you have NO ability to change is doing nothing but putting stress on your body, stress in your mind, and a lowering your quality of life right now, in the present. Today, at this very instant, you have are healthy. Enjoy that, because many people in the world aren't healty today. Cancer has opened my eyes to living for today. Today is what is important. Sure 1, 2, 5, 10, 40 years down the line I may get cancer in the other testicle.......but tomorrow I could get hit by a truck.

Worry every now and again....it will keep you motivated to stay educated, do your self checks, and keep up with your blood/scans, but by no means don't let worry burden your life. You have been through enough.......enjoy today.

Bobby
    4/26/07 - mass confirmed w/ no elevated markers
    4/27/07 - left I/O
    5/2/07 - Dx: 100% seminoma stage 1A
    Surveillance: CT/blood (6 month cycle)
    4/27/13 - 6 years cancer free!

Comment

Well said, Bobby.

PD081, there's no question having cancer is scary. But you're in charge of your life. Live strong.
      Scott, [email protected]
      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

PD081:
        Understanding that your fear is normal should help you deal with it. As time passes the fear will deminish. It may seem like a long time but it took our family getting past the 2 year mark before we could really take a breath and relax.
        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

the great thing about this site is most have either gone thru tc or had a loved one gone thru it...

some worrying is natural...don't let it consume you though...

you are doing everything you can do...the prognosis is great! Be happy for each day...

what really will help you, is spending time on this site, helping out the new guys and people just starting out...you have "veteran" status now....remember how nervous & scared you were then, just starting out...try to help out others and you'll feel much better.
          - lump first noticed 11/20/2005
          - I/O right Dec 8, 2005
          - 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
          - normal markers PRE surgery
          - no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
          - Stage I diagnosis
          - surveillance
          - mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
          - 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
          - finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
          - CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
          - back on surveillance

Comment

As a care giver, I can not say I understand what you are going through...but I can tell you that I have experienced first hand how much cancer can cause lots of anxiety. I actually (and yes I am embarressed to tell you this) had one of my husband's cancer nurses check my lymph nodes in my neck while he was there for chemo. How sick is that!!??!! I was not even sick, but cancer scared the hell out of me. I still check my husband from head to toe. I guess the bottom line is...you are not alone...but like all people with fear, we have to find places to store it safely or it will rule your life.

I will send you prayers and happy thoughts, not just for good health, but for peace of mind.

Margaret
            Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
            Current DVT
            Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support. It def. helps!

Comment

Working...
              X