Just when......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when......

Just when I think everything is ok and getting better something else has to pop up. For the last couple of days my remaining testicle has hurt and is swollen to almost double its size. I am wondering if it has something to do with the rplnd? In anycase I have my follow up appointment today so I will talk to the doc about it.

Hey man,
    Most likely it's because your other boy has to do the duties for his missing counterpart. I don't recall, but how long ago was your I/O? Usually pains of that sort are normal, but by all means, you should bring it up with your urologist. The swelling and pain could also be due to an infection, but at this point it's just speculation. Your doc will be able to allay your concerns. Just try to keep your cool and one step at a time.
    "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
    11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
    12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Ski,
      We have seen this condition posted mant times here on the forum, in fact it also happened to me. Certainly metion it to your doctor, but I'm sure it is temporary. I took some advil to dull the ache, and asked for an US just to be sure, and it came back fine. Made me feel a lot better, however the achiness remained for another two weeks or so.
      Question: did you get a prostectic?
      Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
      Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
      The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Ski, I can help with this! This is very normal and usually not a sign of infection. The remaining testicle will fill with lymph fluid that is finding new pathways post surgery. You should have seen boyce's...it was impressive...in fact I have a great picture of it that I took with my digital camera...sorry, can you tell we got board passing the time at Sloan K. I am sure right now he is ready to kill me...anyway...the doctor at Sloan said it was very normal and it may in fact get even bigger before it starts to go back to normal. They offered him a sling to support it if the weight got to be too much. The sling was not comfortable...but rolling a towel under it and lifting it off his legs, did help some.

Hope this helps
        Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
        Current DVT
        Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret
          Ski, I can help with this! This is very normal and usually not a sign of infection. The remaining testicle will fill with lymph fluid that is finding new pathways post surgery. You should have seen boyce's...it was impressive...in fact I have a great picture of it that I took with my digital camera...sorry, can you tell we got board passing the time at Sloan K. I am sure right now he is ready to kill me...anyway...the doctor at Sloan said it was very normal and it may in fact get even bigger before it starts to go back to normal. They offered him a sling to support it if the weight got to be too much. The sling was not comfortable...but rolling a towel under it and lifting it off his legs, did help some.

Hope this helps
          How long did it take for the swelling to subside?

Comment

Originally posted by Already Bald
            Ski,
            We have seen this condition posted mant times here on the forum, in fact it also happened to me. Certainly metion it to your doctor, but I'm sure it is temporary. I took some advil to dull the ache, and asked for an US just to be sure, and it came back fine. Made me feel a lot better, however the achiness remained for another two weeks or so.
            Question: did you get a prostectic?
            I had my I/O april 3rd and yes I did get the prosthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ski11181
              How long did it take for the swelling to subside?
              I have asked Boyce to come here and explain in more detail in order to help you.
              Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
              Current DVT

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Ski, I can help with this!
                Thanks for clearing this up. I don't fully know what are all of the physical consequences post-RPLND, so it's good that they are being aired out here .
                "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Originally posted by Fed
                  Thanks for clearing this up. I don't fully know what are all of the physical consequences post-RPLND, so it's good that they are being aired out here .
                  This just proves how helpful this forum really is. I have learned more here then anywhere else on the internet.

Comment

Here's what happened with me

I had significant swelling post-RPLND (think canteloupe). Did not do the prosthetic, but I would suggest that it is not likely a major issue. My swelling took a couple of weeks, really to subside completely.

Maybe wait and see for right now, take some Advil, and give it a little time.
                    Stage III Non-Seminoma- 7/11/06
                    Right I/O 7/12/06
                    Completed 4x BEP 11/06
                    Bi-Lateral RPLND (Dr. Shenifeld)- 11/27/06
                    Surveillance since then

When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell.
                    Lance Armstrong.

Comment

I had lymph fluid collect in my scrotum (which is why I winced at Mark's joke about having an extra pouch to hold liquor) after my L-RPLND, but not swelling of the testicle itself.
                      Scott, [email protected]
                      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                        I had lymph fluid collect in my scrotum (which is why I winced at Mark's joke about having an extra pouch to hold liquor) after my L-RPLND, but not swelling of the testicle itself.
                        Exactly...why does Scott always put things so much more clearly than I can ...the fluid is gathering in your scrotum...not testicle...but since they all reside in the same place...it will look just like the entire scrotum is full of fluid. And a lot of fluid at that. Boyce brought home the scrotum sling they offered him at Sk...he felt it could be a wonderful gag gift at our neighborhood christmas party.
                        Current DVT

Comment

...the fluid is gathering in your scrotum...not testicle...but since they all reside in the same place...it will look just like the entire scrotum is full of fluid. And a lot of fluid at that.
                          I could have used a warning about that. The water balloon effect was not funny.
                          Scott, [email protected]
                          right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

its not the entire scrotum thats swollen it is just the right side. the doc prescribed antibiotics so hopefully that will take care of it.

Comment

slow walk back

It can be a slow walk back sometimes, but it sounds like you are on your way. Thinking of you, Russell's mom, Sharon
                              Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X