Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll take 4 cycles of VIP for $1000, please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll take 4 cycles of VIP for $1000, please...

I know I haven't posted much since my surgery last month...but I still get on everyday to see how everyone has been doing. I'm certainly thankful for this site and everyone who has become a part of it.

I had my first appointment with my oncologist since before my surgery. We chatted about the next step for me. It looks like I'll start 4 cycles of VIP on Monday. I knew the VIP was next...but I was hoping for 2 cycles. Part of me is fine with 4 cycles, though...because I'll do what I have to do if it improves my chances of this not coming back in the future.

I checked out the nccn.org website to see the flowchart and as far as I could tell...it didn't mention VIP...just VeIP (2 cycles when used). Anyone have any good input/references for VIP?

Scott, Fed, and anyone else doing the Austin ride...you will have to party without me. As much as I'd still like to go...my wife would kill me!
    Brett, Stage IIIB Non-Seminoma Extra-Gonadal Germ Cell Tumor 7/12/06, 4xBEP 7/31/06 - 10/17/06, enlarged retroperitoneal lymph nodes found 5/22/07, bi-lateral RPLND and Left I/O 6/05/07, 2xVIP 7/16/07 - 8/11/07, spot on spleen found 9/13/07 - DOH!, PET scan sked 10/29/07

Brett, I am sorry you have more treatment to go. I will be thinking of you and your wife.
    Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
    Current DVT
    Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Wow man, I'm really sorry to hear that, but it's all in the interest of getting you in tip top shape so we can have you back in the sky soaring on cool planes. I'm also sorry you will be missing the Challenge in Austin. In addition to running the 5K for Abuelita (her image is on our team's shirt) and for TCLEFT (I am carrying a bell, even though I'm running and not riding), I will do the same for you (I'll try to get a hold of a small model F14 I can carry through the finish line, unless I think of something better).

We'll all be pulling for you. Best to you and your family,
      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

VeIP is cisplatin, ifosfamide, vinblastine, mesna.

VIP is cisplatin, etoposide, ifosfamide, mesna.

Cisplatin, etoposide, vinblastine, and ifosfamide are anti-neoplastic agents. Mesna is a chemo-protectant to reduce the undesired side effects.

Originally posted by NavyHoldi99
        I know I haven't posted much since my surgery last month...but I still get on everyday to see how everyone has been doing. I'm certainly thankful for this site and everyone who has become a part of it.

I had my first appointment with my oncologist since before my surgery. We chatted about the next step for me. It looks like I'll start 4 cycles of VIP on Monday. I knew the VIP was next...but I was hoping for 2 cycles. Part of me is fine with 4 cycles, though...because I'll do what I have to do if it improves my chances of this not coming back in the future.

I checked out the nccn.org website to see the flowchart and as far as I could tell...it didn't mention VIP...just VeIP (2 cycles when used). Anyone have any good input/references for VIP?

Scott, Fed, and anyone else doing the Austin ride...you will have to party without me. As much as I'd still like to go...my wife would kill me!

Comment

Thanks for the info Matthias...I appreciate it and now I have more keywords I can throw into google.

Fed...I'll try to get you something better than an F-14! They were cool jets...but they are gone now and I can't have you running around with something ancient! Besides...I'm an FA-18 driver...so Hornets are way cooler in my book. But then again...I am a little biased!
          Brett, Stage IIIB Non-Seminoma Extra-Gonadal Germ Cell Tumor 7/12/06, 4xBEP 7/31/06 - 10/17/06, enlarged retroperitoneal lymph nodes found 5/22/07, bi-lateral RPLND and Left I/O 6/05/07, 2xVIP 7/16/07 - 8/11/07, spot on spleen found 9/13/07 - DOH!, PET scan sked 10/29/07

Comment

My Husand went thru a cycle of VIP and he had very little side effects. You would never think he was in chemo.

Good luck with the rounds.
            Patti
            Wife of Kevin Murphy
            Diagnosed 7/16/04 100% Choriocarcinoma
            Oriechtomy 7/20/04
            4xBEP 8/04-11/04 BHCG:1200 (lung only)
            Rediagnosed 12/27/04 BHCG: 50
            1xVIP 1/05 (lung)
            HDC/Stem cell Indiana 2/05-4/05 BHCG: 51-4.5 (lung)
            HDC failure 5/05
            3xGemzar/Taxol 6/05-9/05 (lung only)
            VP-16 w/Avastin 9/05-1/06 (lung only)
            Cyberknife 5" lung tumor 2/06
            cyberknife 6 brain tumors 3/06
            1xOxaliplatnin 3/06 (liver, lungs, kidneys, left hip)
            Passed away 4/13/2006

Comment

I wish you could make it person; you'll still be there with us in spirit. We're riding and running for you.
              Scott, [email protected]
              right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

Brett -

I am sorry to hear that you're not finished with this and have to do four rounds. You have an amazing attitude and my thoughts will be with you and your family.
                Rob and Stacy
                DX: 3/10/05, AFP: 15,047, L I/O: 3/28/05, Yolk sac tumor & teratoma, Stage IIIC, 3xBEP & 1xEP: 4/4/07 - 6/25/07, AFP: 14, RPLND 8/10/07, w. left kidney removed. 10/19/07, AFP: 1.9

Comment

Fed...I'll try to get you something better than an F-14! They were cool jets...but they are gone now and I can't have you running around with something ancient! Besides...I'm an FA-18 driver...so Hornets are way cooler in my book. But then again...I am a little biased!
                  Goes to say how much I know about planes . I'll take whatever you find the coolest.
                  "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                  11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                  12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Well, my friends...I'm off for my first week of VIP treatment. Free food...sleeping whenever I want...no chores...no kids...XBOX whenever I want...people come at the push of a button all week long! If I didn't know any better...I'd say this was a week long vacation!

Seriously...I'll jump on when I get home Friday night/Saturday morning. If I'm lucky...I'll have access to a computer while I'm there.

Take care everyone! I'll miss hitting the website...oh...20 times a day!

Comment

We'll be thinking of you and looking for your update this weekend!!! A good attitude goes a LONG way...and you have it. Good luck this week!
                      Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

We'll hope to hear from you during the week if possible and next weekend otherwise. Best wishes to you, NavyHoldi99!
                        Scott, [email protected]
                        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

We'll be thinking of you!!!
                          Lori and Jon
                          Diagnosed 5/22/2006
                          I/O 5/26/2006, Stage 3, Good
                          Teratoma (Majority), Seminoma (10%), Yolk Sac
                          3xEP then determined not working
                          HDC w/stem cell transplant 8/16/06 to 9/25/06
                          Chest and Neck surgery 10/9/06 - immature teratoma
                          RPLND 11/16/06 - immature Teratoma
                          2/29/2008 - markers continue to be normal!
                          9/16/2008 - released from Dr. Einhorn's care

Comment

Being an Army guy this is hard to say but here goes "Let's Go Navy"
                            Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

I'm sorry you have more treatment to go through, but your attitude is great and that will get you through as well, as the VIP (or poison if you will) But you are going to do great.
                              Krista
                              Brother Diag. 10/05 Non-Sem.
                              Right I/O 11/05
                              Surv
                              4XBEP 8/06
                              RPLND 12/06
                              2X VIP 1/22/07
                              Only completed 1 Rd.

Comment

Working...
                              X