1 More Pet-scan Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 More Pet-scan Question

Can Anyone Tell Me What Might Happen If When Brian Goes For The Pet-scan Friday, Some Of The Masses Light Up? His Markers Are At 10

Dawn
    Fiance Brian, dx:stage IIIC non-sem 4/18/07
    mets to lungs,liver,abdomin,large tumor near kidney
    hcg was 176,000!
    completed 1 rnd of TIP(had bad reaction to taxol)
    BEPx3 until 7/13/07
    7/26/07 post chemo ct-scan shwd shrinkage & fewer lung tumors
    10/17/07 @ MSKCC Liver FREE of cancer! necrotic & small focus of teratoma.
    AFP & HCG normal
    12/7/07 RPLND,right orchiectomy @ MSKCC
    12/18/07, rcvd pathology,all clear! no cancer!
    2/11/08 -Lung surgery dne @ MSKCC
    ALL CLEAR

I just spoke to one of the clinical oncology fellows that works in my lab, and I asked him about normal things that will "light up" in a PET scan. He said structures like brown fat, the heart, the kidneys, and sometimes the liver will show uptake of the tracer. He also noted that a PET alone is pretty much useless, and for it to be used reliably as a diagnostic tool, it needs to be overlayed with a CT.
    That said, here's what I think about Brian's exam on Friday. The CT component will likely be the most important, because it will show changes in mass size and shape. The PET result is just an "add-on" that is not always conclusive, but may give some extra information. The fellow said that radiologists put more weight on the CT than they do on the PET. With Brian's markers having gone down, I believe there is reason to be cautiously optimistic.
    "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
    11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
    12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Originally posted by Fed
      I just spoke to one of the clinical oncology fellows that works in my lab, and I asked him about normal things that will "light up" in a PET scan. He said structures like brown fat, the heart, the kidneys, and sometimes the liver will show uptake of the tracer. He also noted that a PET alone is pretty much useless, and for it to be used reliably as a diagnostic tool, it needs to be overlayed with a CT.
      That said, here's what I think about Brian's exam on Friday. The CT component will likely be the most important, because it will show changes in mass size and shape. The PET result is just an "add-on" that is not always conclusive, but may give some extra information. The fellow said that radiologists put more weight on the CT than they do on the PET. With Brian's markers having gone down, I believe there is reason to be cautiously optimistic.

THATS WHAT I FIGURED AS WELL, IM NOT A DR, BUT IT JUST SEEMS LIKE IF HIS MARKERS ARE DOWN, THE EXAM WILL BE A GOOD THING. I REALLY HOPE SO. FED! YOU ARE AWESOME! ANYMORE INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME, I WOULD SOOOOO APPRECIATE!

DAWN
      hcg was 176,000!
      BEPx3 until 7/13/07
      AFP & HCG normal
      ALL CLEAR

Comment

Dawn,

I just wanted to throw in my experiances, my husband had a PET/CT post chemo as well. They had done one pre-chemo because he had enlarged nodes and no tumor markers and they wanted to be certain and not put him through chemo needlessly. And after the scan, his two involved nodes (that were inlarged) lit up like crazy. They then did a PET/CT after chemo and the only thing that lit up was his bone marrow, mildly, but they did his PET 1 week after chemo, so it should have been showing the fast uptake in his bone marrow. Everything else was clear.

They look for a certain amount of uptake on the PET, because it is basically showing what is growing quickly and eating up the glucose, because fast mutiplying cells eat up glucose.

The bottom line is, the Dr's know what should and shouldn't be lighting up!

Hope I offered more help then confusion!

Becki

Husband Right I/O 09/06
        -70% Embryonal Carcinoma
        -20% Teratoma
        -10% Yolk Sac Tumor
        11/06- lymph nodes 1.8x1.4 and 1.9x1.4
        12/06-PET Scan confirms activity in lymph nodes, lymph nodes 2.2x2.2 and 2.4x2.3
        1/07-Start 3xBEP
        4/07-PET clear, lymph nodes down to 1.1x0.5 and 1.8x1.0
        6/07-lymph nodes 1.2x1.0 and 1.9x.9
        8/07-lymph nodes 1.1x1.0 and 2.0x1.2
        10/07-lymph nodes 2.0x1.5 and 2.7x1.8
        11/07- PostChemo LRPLND-found burnt out teratoma
        11/09-Enlarging lymph node 1.2 cm near renal veins

Comment

Dawn,
          Just writing to let you know that I'm thinking about you and Brian. Best of luck with the tests,
          "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
          11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
          12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Good Luck Dawn!
            I Love My Pack!

sigpic

Comment

Dawn:

Best wishes for good news!
              Fish
              TC1
              Right I/O 4/22/1988
              RPLND 6/20/1988
              TC2
              Left I/O 9/17/2003
              Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

thank you all for the good luck wishes! Brians test is today at 4:15.. lets hope it is all good! he will have markers done also. we willget his markers by monday, but will not know the petscan results until next week sometime
                hcg was 176,000!
                BEPx3 until 7/13/07
                AFP & HCG normal
                ALL CLEAR

Comment

Working...
                X