Hi Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everyone

My name is Chris McKinley (22 yrs), I was diagnosed on July 20th 2007, a few days later I found I had Stage 3 (poor prognosis due to my initial counts). It spread to both lungs with multiple nodules in my liver. Since, I have started BEP(4x) chemo, and begin my 3rd Cycle this coming Monday! So far my body is responding well to the chemo. I had horrifically high markers compared to what Ive been reading. My HCG was 106,000 but was cut to 39,500 and most recently to 42!! My AFP started at 540 and went from 215 to 11.5. So, you can imagine my excitement. I hope to hear from some of you. And to all who are recently diagnosed, keep your head up, because you will likely be a survivor!

Chris:
    Welcome to the forum. I always feel odd saying that because I know nobody really wants to be here, but we're quite an active community and I hope we can offer you some help and just by posting your story you will help others.
    First congratulations on those markers. Man you certainly seem very responsive to the chemo. Thats huge. From the way those numbers dropped I would certainly consider myself out of the poor risk group. My son was stage III but with low markers, he also had lung and lymph node involvement. His treatment was 4XEP and now he's been cured for 3 years.
    It's great to see that you're half way through the chemo. I know by now it seems like it will never end but next month at this time it will be over. Now I'm going to sound like the mom's who check in, take all of the perscribed meds, don't try and be a tough guy and drink plenty of fluids. Allow those around you to take care of you, they love you and want to help.
    Last edited by dadmo; 09-16-07, 01:47 PM.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Welcome Chris..... and Dadmo, I have to say that sounded pretty nice. I couldn't even think of anything to add! Chris, I agree with Dadmo. When Russell was in chemo, someone who had already been through said, "you just don't do anything else when you are in chemo." That hit the bulls eye for us. We borrowed movies from the library for free so that we could keep them for a long time if needed..just lived in the moment. This is a great support group. Keep in touch!! Sharon
      Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Sounds like the chemo is knocking the stuffing out of the cancer!!
        Those are great drops in the numbers!

The third and fourth rounds will be tougher so make sure
        you follow Dadmo's advice. Always let the chemo nurses
        know if anything is bothering you. They will have an answer
        for everything. Good luck with the next round. You're on
        the way to being cured.

Diane

Comment

Hey Buddy, welcome to the forum!

First of all, I have to tell you to keep the positive attitude that I perceive in your post, that will help you a lot to go through this whole thing!

Eventhough you have a poor prognosis given the stage on your diagnosis, you my brother have a very good chance to win this battle. My personal experience was very similar to yours, I had B-hcg at diagnosis at 186.000, mets to lymph nodes and lungs, and here I am almost 3 years in remmision! So keep it up!

Finally, it´s good you came here, because its great source of information and support!

Best of luck!

Comment

Welcome Chris!! Sounds like you are on your way to your first "all clear"...we like to see them posted because we have a wine cork collection competition here to celebrate victories! Great attitude, and great numbers! What was your pathology on the I/O?
            Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear that you are getting the treatment you need and that you are on your way to recovery. You attitude is great, and that will carry you very far. Best of luck, and keep us posted with your progress!
              "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
              11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
              12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! You sound like you have a positive, upbeat attitude and those numbers are GREAT!! My husband is also Stage III. Remember to rest and sleep alot, and drink a LOT! Let us know how you're doing throughout this ordeal and remember that we are all hear for you.
                Rob and Stacy
                DX: 3/10/05, AFP: 15,047, L I/O: 3/28/05, Yolk sac tumor & teratoma, Stage IIIC, 3xBEP & 1xEP: 4/4/07 - 6/25/07, AFP: 14, RPLND 8/10/07, w. left kidney removed. 10/19/07, AFP: 1.9

Comment

Holy smoke, Chris, to have that response after two cycles is terrific. It makes reaching the end of the fourth cycle all the more exciting! Dianne
                  Spouse: I/O 8/80; embryonal, seminoma, teratoma; RPLND 9/80 - no reoccurrence - HRT 8/80; bladder cancer 11/97; reoccurrence: 4X
                  Son: I/O 11/04; embryonal, teratoma; VI; 3XBEP; relapse 5/08; RPLND 6/18/08 - path: mature teratoma

Comment

Sounds like you're right on track. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes for rounds 3 and 4.
                    Fish
                    TC1
                    Right I/O 4/22/1988
                    RPLND 6/20/1988
                    TC2
                    Left I/O 9/17/2003
                    Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Welcome...sounds like your cancer really hates that chemo Hooray!

Keep us posted.
                      Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
                      Current DVT
                      Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Margaret:
                        I thought Jaymo responded well but Chris is kicking some serious butt. This guy is gonna be good to go before you know it.
                        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Chris:
                          I see from your profile that you're a full time student. Did you take some time off because of your treatment? I know how important it is to get that done but in the long run a few months is meaningless. No matter when you graduate you have 40-45 years of work ahead of you so don't sweat the graduation date.

Comment

Chris
                            Sounds like you have the right attitude to kick this disease. My son (19) was diagnosed this June 07, and just finished with chemo. He is doing great and will get back to college next semester. There are lots of ups and downs, but with the support of your loved ones (and this forum)..you will do great!
                            Keep us posted on your progress.
                            Michele
                            ________
                            Sj?gren'S Syndrome Forums
                            Last edited by mkl; 04-04-11, 08:43 PM.

Comment

First, thanks to everyone supporting me in here, this is truly amazing to communicate with others on the same ground that I am on.

Dadmo, I am a full-time student. History major at UC Riverside in CA. And you identify my greatest frustration with this whole mess. This is my senior year, and taking the fall quarter off will likely postpone my grad date. I do however, understand how much our priorities shift from this sickness. Im trying to stay patient with everything, but we definitely live in a country that doesnt like to wait for anything. So yeah, Im ready to go back, but I suppose I can wait..

Karen, my pathology was a Non Seminoma mostly embroynal and partially carcinoma. Similar pathology to Lance, not sure of the exact percentages though..

Comment

Working...
                              X