Brian's update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian's update...

Brian met with Dr. sheinfeld this morning, he walked in, didnt even shake Brian's hand and was very cold!. but, thats what we expected.

Brian had his markers checked, was examend and Dr. Sheinfeld said that he has been speaking to the liver surgeon and they feel its best to do the liver surgery 1st and the RPLND 2nd. they feel that the 2 surgeries together are very serious and they do not want to harm Brian doing both. Brian is pissed that he has to have 2 now, but in a way, i feel better knowing that he will have time to rest before the RPLND. i was afraid of both together. but then again, im not the one who has to go through the pain. but i want him safe!.
    Also, they want the both kidneys intact in the even that he needs more chemo (which i spoke to Dr. Bosls nurse before and they dont thing he will need more) but that bothers me that they are even saying that that is a possibility. so Brians mom was making an appt with the liver surgeon so that they can schedule the surgery. im going to call his nurse later to get his markers. i will keep everyone updated

Dawn
    Fiance Brian, dx:stage IIIC non-sem 4/18/07
    mets to lungs,liver,abdomin,large tumor near kidney
    hcg was 176,000!
    completed 1 rnd of TIP(had bad reaction to taxol)
    BEPx3 until 7/13/07
    7/26/07 post chemo ct-scan shwd shrinkage & fewer lung tumors
    10/17/07 @ MSKCC Liver FREE of cancer! necrotic & small focus of teratoma.
    AFP & HCG normal
    12/7/07 RPLND,right orchiectomy @ MSKCC
    12/18/07, rcvd pathology,all clear! no cancer!
    2/11/08 -Lung surgery dne @ MSKCC
    ALL CLEAR

I am sorry you did not hear the news you were hoping for, but I know they are putting Brian's best interest first. This time next year, all this will be a memory and you will be planning your wedding

Hang in there
    Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
    Current DVT
    Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Thanks for the update, Dawn. Joel Sheinfeld is no nonsense and all business, but I gather that's what keeps him focused on the job at hand. The plan to have the liver resection prior to the RPLND and as a separate surgery makes sense. Both of these procedures are bound to be taxing, so they need to exercise the utmost caution.

I'll be paying attention to any updates.
      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Dawn, Thank-you for sharing. Your post sounds very clear, hang on! Sharon
        Click here to support my LIVESTRONG Challenge with Team LOVEstrong.

Comment

My urologist was the same way, Dawn. Not very friendly or compassionate.......hell he told me I had cancer over the phone, didn't even do it face to face. He did incredible work, though, so I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'd much rather someone way too matter-of-fact than someone way too relaxed.
          4/26/07 - mass confirmed w/ no elevated markers
          4/27/07 - left I/O
          5/2/07 - Dx: 100% seminoma stage 1A
          Surveillance: CT/blood (6 month cycle)
          4/27/13 - 6 years cancer free!

Comment

Dawn, I'm sorry for you and Brian that he will have to endure two surgeries, I'm sure you were disappointed with that news. But if Sheinfeld and the liver doc both think that's safest, that's what you want for Brian to be in good health after both surgeries.

Its good they want him to keep both kidneys. Rob can't ever have EP again because of what happened to him.

Any idea of how long they will wait between surgeries and how long a liver resection surgery is?
            Rob and Stacy
            DX: 3/10/05, AFP: 15,047, L I/O: 3/28/05, Yolk sac tumor & teratoma, Stage IIIC, 3xBEP & 1xEP: 4/4/07 - 6/25/07, AFP: 14, RPLND 8/10/07, w. left kidney removed. 10/19/07, AFP: 1.9

Comment

Originally posted by sldl1106
              Dawn, I'm sorry for you and Brian that he will have to endure two surgeries, I'm sure you were disappointed with that news. But if Sheinfeld and the liver doc both think that's safest, that's what you want for Brian to be in good health after both surgeries.

Its good they want him to keep both kidneys. Rob can't ever have EP again because of what happened to him.

Any idea of how long they will wait between surgeries and how long a liver resection surgery is?

HI Stacy, not sure how long the liver surgery is, he is meeting with the liver surgeon tomorrow morning. i think it is long though.

Dawn
              Fiance Brian, dx:stage IIIC non-sem 4/18/07
              mets to lungs,liver,abdomin,large tumor near kidney
              hcg was 176,000!
              completed 1 rnd of TIP(had bad reaction to taxol)
              BEPx3 until 7/13/07
              7/26/07 post chemo ct-scan shwd shrinkage & fewer lung tumors
              10/17/07 @ MSKCC Liver FREE of cancer! necrotic & small focus of teratoma.
              AFP & HCG normal
              12/7/07 RPLND,right orchiectomy @ MSKCC
              12/18/07, rcvd pathology,all clear! no cancer!
              2/11/08 -Lung surgery dne @ MSKCC
              ALL CLEAR

Comment

Dawn,
                I just wanted to say that I was sorry that things didn't work out the way you guys had hoped for, but your in good hands, so I'm sure your headed in the right direction. Keep us posted. Hugs and prayers coming your way.
                Krista
                Brother Diag. 10/05 Non-Sem.
                Right I/O 11/05
                Surv
                4XBEP 8/06
                RPLND 12/06
                2X VIP 1/22/07
                Only completed 1 Rd.

Comment

Working...
                X