No announcement yet.

One whole year!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One whole year!!'s been a year since Larry started getting sick from his cancer (backache). He has not been well since. I'm not even sure what color his skin is SUPPOSED to be
    So, it was a no go on the marrow collection through his blood. They did get enough to do one transplant but not two . So, this Wednesday he'll be in surgery whilest they try to remove the rest from his pelvic bone (I think that's where). He will get to come home and pig out on Thanksgiving...but Friday AM he is to report to the isolation unit to begin the HD chemo. After three days of Chemo and then two days off they will give him his cells back. They'll let him recover (a few weeks) then he'll come home for a week...??maybe two. Then we start all over again (minus the cell collection). Sounds like YUCK huh? For me the 100 days we have to wait for the scan to see if it worked will be the hardest.
    I really enjoy reading stories of recovery and most everyone getting on with their regular activities. I day dream that will be Larry soon.
    Larry is pretty much at his lowest right now. It seems like everything that could go wrong has w/him. He's REALLY tired of being TIRED and sick and not being able to do the stuff he used to be able to. The cancer in his lungs makes for loooooong nights.
    Someone suggested I continue to plan our future, so in an effort I am planning for the short future and we plan to go to Vegas for Valentines day.
    Someday I'm going to get a useful computer and download some pictures.
    It's ortho for two daughters and me tomorrow and then Lair's (I sometimes call him that) outpatient cell collection on Wednesday. I have the greatest sister in the world coming for TG and then it'll be back to the hospital for Larry.
    I'll try to keep my posts more frequent. This proceedure doesn't seem very common so I'd like to keep everyone up on whats new.
    Again, without the support of this forum....well I just don't know.
    I don't see a kissy face but to whom ever started this I want to send out a big kiss!
    Last edited by otherhalf; 11-21-05, 09:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a couple words.

  • #2
    Jeez, Patti, we'll be thinking, hoping and praying for Larry's recovery. Keep up the good fight. Dianne
    Spouse: I/O 8/80; embryonal, seminoma, teratoma; RPLND 9/80 - no reoccurrence - HRT 8/80; bladder cancer 11/97; reoccurrence: 4X
    Son: I/O 11/04; embryonal, teratoma; VI; 3XBEP; relapse 5/08; RPLND 6/18/08 - path: mature teratoma


    • #3
      I will keep you in my thoughts this weekend.
      Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

      Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.


      • #4
        We'll wish and dream for Lair's return to regular activies too! Hope the surgery goes well on Wed!! Hang in there.

        Left I/O 5/7/05, Stage 1(pT1)
        No VI or LI, Normal Markers
        70% Embryonal, 30% Seminoma
        1st child born on 8/08


        • #5
          Chemo done, fun is beginning

          Well, the 3 days of chemo are finished. He had a blood transfusion his very first day of chemo. Second day, not so bad, day three so-so except he didn't eat a thing.
          Two days of rest (literally)
          Day one, he drank a chocolate shake, nothing else.
          Day two (today) well, he pretty much slept. A physical therapist visits him and he has to walk and do some resisting exercises. Other than that he slept, I did talk him into eating some mozzarella sticks and another chocolate shake, then he took his pain pill (from the marrow collection in his back) and off to sleep he went.
          Tomorrow he gets his marrow back! Whoopie...EXCEPT the nurse let us know tonight that he will continue to feel bad for approximately 10 more days. He MUST get out of bed, even when he literally can't. He has to walk and do resisting exercises until his hcg (??) falls below 8 I believe then just walking. I don't know what all this means, but I'm praying it means my husband will be home soon and without the nasty cancer.
          We'll get the pleasure of his presence for about 7 to 10 days and then he goes back in for the three days of intense chemo 2 days rest and marrow replacement again, thus ends his treatment for three months (which is how long we have to wait for another scan).
          Does anyone here know of any other TC victim that has done anything like this?
          I'm in search of answers, I've been to a lot of websites but information on this treatment for TC is rare and then it was pure Seminoma????
          I'll keep you all posted.


          • #6
            Hi otherhalf, I was doing some research on High Dose w/ BMT the other day and came across some good info. Almost 90% of those with seminoma who went through High Dose, including those with far worse prognostic factors, including cancer that was mediastatic to the bone, brain, ect and those who never acheived a response to primary BEP were cancer free, and remained cancer free after High dose chemo. THe study was written by Dr. Einhorn who is concidered the best in the world when it comes to treating TC. I attached the study, and the info on seminoma patients is in the discussion part of the study. I hope this helps! Also if you want to do more extensive research go to and under the search option type in "germ cell tumors and salvage therapy" or "seminoma and salvage therapy"
            Attached Files