Surveillance Protocol After Chemo and RPLND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveillance Protocol After Chemo and RPLND

In my review of the posts on this site, I haven’t seen much on people’s surveillance protocol following chemotherapy and RPLND. My Onc just laid out his plan for me and I was curious to see if it was similar to other people’s surveillance who had undergone both chemo and an RPLND. I also wanted to be sure that my surveillance plan was adequate as we all know how important it is to catch any potential relapses early.

Here is a brief summary of my treatment and planned surveillance:

August 5, 2005 – Right Orchiectomy (shows seminoma and teritoma)
    October 21, 2005 – 4xEP ends
    November 9, 2005 – CT scan taken and shows residual mass in retroperitoneum
    November 29, 2005 – Full Bilateral RPLND (residual mass was teritoma)
    February 13, 2006 – Surveillance CT planned plus tumor markers
    After February 13, 2006 – chest x-rays and tumor markers every 8 weeks (during the 1st year –not sure of 2nd year yet) and CT scans once a year going forward.

Notice that three months go by between my CT on Nov 9th, 2005 and the planned CT on Feb 13th, 2006 and there is no chest x-ray planned during this period. Is it ok to let 3 months go by without any x-ray or CT?

Is the CT on February 13, 2006 an appropriate time following my RPLND (the CT will be 11 weeks after the RPLND)? I had heard that if a CT is taken too early after RPLND it can show abnormalities caused on by the healing surgery.

Any other specifics on other people’s surveillance who had chemo and RPLND would be appreciated. I am sure it would also be a good resource to have in one place for all viewers to be sure everyone is followed adequately by their physicians.

Thanks to all for your help.

I am curious about others' follow-up protocols also. Justin had his last CT scan Oct. 17 then his full-bilateral RPLND Nov. 21. He had tumor markers done Dec. 13 and his next appt. with the oncologist is Jan 10, so that will be almost 3 months. His Dr. is talking about CT scans every other month 1st year, every 3 months 2nd yr, 4 months 3rd yr....& blood work every month for the 1st yr....Justin's was intermediate risk because of the large abdominal teratoma....
    Son (21) Diag 6/29/05;non-seminoma stage II;embryonal carcinoma & teratoma; right I/O 7/1; 4 X BEP; 21.5 x 19.0 x 9.5cm abdominal mass; full bilateral RPLND 11/21/05; 8-06 right arm/hand continues to heal from paralysis due to nerve injury

Comment

I have bloodwork done every month, CT Scan every other. Once I hit the 1 year mark it'll be a quarterly CT-Scan, bloodwork still monthly. After that it'll go a little easier.

I have been discussing the use of CT-Scan vs. Chest X-Ray with my oncologist several times - she feels rather strongly about going that way and I have to say I will trust her on that. My cancer spread rather agressively in a short time period and should it ever show it's ugly face again I want to be right there with the big stick. Nonetheless, I will bring it up again when we hit that 1 year mark.
      My Cancer Center is also affiliated with the Dana-Farber-Institute in Boston, which is not the worst of resources to have, though maybe not leading on TC.

She did point me to a resource page she is consulting (one for oncologists regardless of specialty), but unfortunately I cannot remember the URL. My next appointment is about 2 weeks away, so I will try to get it again from her.

- Martin
      Stage IIa, non-seminoma (90% embryno / 10% teratoma); I/O 12/22/04, 3 x BEP, RPLND 05/12/05

Comment

Sloan has Chris getting a cat scan almost six months since RPLND and chemo.....now I am hearing all of you having one sooner...did anyone else wait about five months for cat after RPLND.....he has blood and chest every month though.....Mary Ellen

Comment

I've been following the schedule in tcrc - Whatnow for Path stage 2 nonseminoma which is basically blood tests and chest X-ray. I had a scare almost a year ago where I was getting some "adenopathy" showing up in my chest X-ray, in which case we followed up with CT scans. It turned out to be caused by poorly treated asthma and a lung infection.
          I/O Aug 04 (nonseminoma), bilateral RPLND Sep 04, Surveillance

Comment

Originally posted by Chris'Mom
            .....now I am hearing all of you having one sooner...
            I think it's safe to say that Sloan will do the right thing. My CT-Scan schedule is likely overkill (boy, do I hate to have 'kill' in a word in that context), but, as mentioned earlier, my oncologist feels it's the right thing to do.
            Normally, chest x-rays are sufficient because the chances of a recurrence after all that prior treatment are very low.

- Martin
            Stage IIa, non-seminoma (90% embryno / 10% teratoma); I/O 12/22/04, 3 x BEP, RPLND 05/12/05

Comment

Thanks for all the responses so far. Hope everyone is doing great on their surveillance. Any other thoughts from others on their surveillance protocals is still appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X